The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 August 2016, 09:54 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
I have one bought for me several Christmases ago,its a rapport very nice box I looked at it and put it back in the cardboard box its still in the attic.Yes I have have a few bad years health wise beginning of this year did not think I was going to be still alive today.But I still got the use of my fingers and quite capable of using the winding crown after all thats what is for.And yes it must take all of 30 seconds to wind and set any watch, I feel so sorry for all those who find this a terrible chore to do.But if you did have a watch with many many complications like say a Patek.Then yes they could be a pure convenience as they are quite difficult to re-set, thats why Patek gives them free when you buy one of there many complication watches.But for Rolex watches that have mostly a simple date complication IMHO machine winders just plain humbug and not needed at all..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 10:56 PM   #32
MonBK
Banned

Peter, just be careful so you don't over wind it.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 06:06 AM   #33
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Peter, just be careful so you don't over wind it.
The problem with that is the only way to make sure you don't go past the maximum forty turns is if the watch is completely stopped.
Old 27 August 2016, 04:03 PM   #34
Monsta
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep sea black
My AD is Ben bridge they are offering a free watch winder for October promotion purchases this is my first Rolex and first luxury watch (it will be the deep sea black dial most likely) my question is do watch winders help keep the time more accurate or will simply wearing it achieve that. I work month on month and may not be able to wear it as much as I would like .
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 08:23 PM   #35
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
My AD is Ben bridge they are offering a free watch winder for October promotion purchases this is my first Rolex and first luxury watch (it will be the deep sea black dial most likely) my question is do watch winders help keep the time more accurate or will simply wearing it achieve that. I work month on month and may not be able to wear it as much as I would like .
Its quite possible it will be a tiny bit less accurate on one of these machines as most are just repetitive back throe on the same plain and axis.While tested at the COSC they are tested in 5 different positions to mimic what goes on the finest winder in the world called wrists.But if you must use the machine always fully manual wind first before putting on the machine.And it would need around 650-750 bi-directional turns a day just to keep it ticking.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 08:51 PM   #36
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyman7915 View Post
According to my watchmaker who has been servicing Rolex's for over 30 years, he disagrees with you . I don't mean any disrespect, I will listen to my watchmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its quite possible it will be a tiny bit less accurate on one of these machines as most are just repetitive back throe on the same plain and axis.While tested at the COSC they are tested in 5 different positions to mimic what goes on the finest winder in the world called wrists.But if you must use the machine always fully manual wind first before putting on the machine.And it would need around 650-750 bi-directional turns a day just to keep it ticking.
The funnyman disagrees with you Peter.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 10:34 PM   #37
KarlS
Banned

I think I am going to diarise 2 weeks and see if we get another watchwinder thread in the interim!!! At least this OP was educational!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2016, 12:27 AM   #38
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

I have a '69 Tudor Day Date that I only wear once/twice a week, and can go 2-3 weeks without wearing it.

It is a pain in the ass to set, takes 2-3 minutes if it is more than 7 days past. As such I am in the market for a winder but I also have 2-3 cheap automatics I also only wear every once and while and would like to keep them wound.

I need a completely silent option for 3 watches that is cheap and I don't think it exists, so I end up just not wearing my Tudor as much as I would like.
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2016, 01:05 PM   #39
Bella601
"TRF" Member

I don't think a winder is needed but it really depends on the individual preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bella601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 10:42 PM   #40
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520

This is my watch winder and I certainly need it, otherwise I'd have nothing to pick my nose with.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 10:50 PM   #41
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I own one but never use it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 02:55 PM   #42
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
I have one too (hold 6 watches).............but, I never trun the power on....just display it and it do looks nice sitting in my study room~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2016, 05:04 PM   #43
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Ter setting the

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnwatchguy View Post
I use a winder purely for convenience. I bought a four watch winder off Amazon for under $100. It seems to keep my automatic watches wound up enough that I can change out and go and not have to worry.
Interesting post.

I have about a dozen watch winders in stock and could use them if necessary but:
Let's look at scenario 1:
You have automatic watches on a winder, you remove one to wear it, it is not on the correct time, it is a Rolex so you feel it really should be correct, you hack it on 12 and set it to your time source and strap it on.

Scenario 2:
You chose a Rolex from you safe, while you walk to the lounge (holding it in your left hand) you unscrew the crown giving it a few turns to start it and hack it on the 12.
In the lounge you set it to your time source and strap it on.

The difference - a few turns of the crown.
Plus wear and tear on the movement during the previous months on the winder when it was not being used.
As for the clumping of oils when not being used?
It's a Rolex FGS not a old diesel tractor.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:25 AM   #44
drefhill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
thats why Patek gives them free when you buy one of there many complication watches.
It's not free you need to buy an expensive watch and the price of that watch include the winder.
Old 25 December 2016, 04:42 AM   #45
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I have decided that watch winders are not for me. I do not have to many watches and the ones in the winder ran faster. Constantly. For example, my GO runs about +2 secs per day. In the winder it ran +10 secs per day. If anyone is interested in an Underwood winder, please PM me.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 02:59 PM   #46
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by himmelblau View Post
...while watch winders are NOT an absolute necessity, they are not only a great convenience in keeping watches on the correct time and date but also help to extend the general running condition of them.
Even winders won't keep a watch at the correct time for very long. Even if a watch is running within COSC, given enough time, people like me will have to set the time.

When I put on a watch I always set it to the correct time, which a winder will not maintain, regardless of its quality or price.

Setting a watch, including the date, takes about two minutes.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 03:58 PM   #47
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drefhill View Post
It's not free you need to buy an expensive watch and the price of that watch include the winder.
Would you have preferred the term "included in the price?"
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 11:31 PM   #48
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I use winders because of the convenience of being ready to grab a watch and go. Depending on how long it has been on the winder, I may have to adjust the time by 5-10 minutes compared to my cell phone. I also really like how the watches are displayed (I use Wolf Meridian triple winders). I've heard all of the arguments before but am still not convinced that winders lead to early or excessive "wear and tear." I've never heard of anyone being told that they should or can extend the life of their watch by not wearing it. Or that a Rolex should be serviced every 5 years if it is worn daily and every 10 years if it isn't worn at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 10:00 AM   #49
danbrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
While a relative newcomer here to Rolex Forums, posting-wise anyway, I'm a watch winder fan. I have a winder that with room for 8 automatic watches - and some of those watches have enough complexities (or are just a pain) to set beyond a few hours that I groove to the watch winder. To watch wind or not is kind of like the 9mm or .45 debate. I've heard plenty of arguments this way or that - nothing really sold me on "this is bad for your watch". What if I only had one watch? It's be on that automatic wrist winder all day long. My $0.02 in a long line of two cents on the subject.
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 03:49 AM   #50
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
The two sales people in my AD are split 5/50 on this.

Personally I won't buy one because spending 60 seconds to set and wind a watch isn't going to kill me.......and I don't want to wear out the watch faster when it is not in use if it is sitting on the winder.

"If" there was a valid technical benefit to them, every AD would have every Rolex sitting on one.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 05:47 AM   #51
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds777 View Post
the two sales people in my ad are split 5/50 on this.

Personally i won't buy one because spending 60 seconds to set and wind a watch isn't going to kill me.......and i don't want to wear out the watch faster when it is not in use if it is sitting on the winder.

"if" there was a valid technical benefit to them, every ad would have every rolex sitting on one.
x100000

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 09:46 AM   #52
Kekela98a
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Using a watch winder cause of the Gmt watch. It's not worth it for the other watches since it only takes a minute or so to reset it
Kekela98a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 03:12 AM   #53
Rolex time is money
"TRF" Member

Having 2 watches was on the line for me, now that I have 3 watches a winder is a must.

First serial "V" 116610V Hulk
Rolex time is money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 12:58 PM   #54
ulrichhh
"TRF" Member

I just have it sitting
ulrichhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 07:39 PM   #55
kyru231
"TRF" Member

I have the only watch and wear it 24/7 so i dont need a winder
kyru231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 02:38 AM   #56
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
If I was a new watch buyer I would be confused over this topic, however, having owned several Rolex watches with an Omega Seamaster sprinkled in, I have used watch winders for close to 20 years.

For me, the old adage “the proof in in the pudding” applies. Rotating my watches in and out of the winder for almost 20 years and never had any issue with any of them. As I type this, Omega has my 19 year old Seamaster for its first service. When they called me to advise of the service cost, to my surprise, it was just a service. No damage and the Seamaster has spent the most time on the winder ( maybe 8-12 months at a time).

RSC has serviced my other watches and again, just service, no damage. So I see how people have many different views on winders, but it’s been my experience that they are an essential tool if you have more than one or two automatic watches.

Now I’ve been told that other watches, maybe not as robust as Rolex, could have issues by spending months at a time in a winder. Like others have said, no right or wrong answer, just sharing my experience from say the last 20 years of using watch winders.

If anyone is curious, for the last 10 years, I’ve used the Brookstone quad winder X2.
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:19 AM   #57
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2005 DateJust
Good insightful info. I often wondered if it was best to 'preserve' my watch by not putting it on a winder with constant motion of all the internal moving parts. Now I know. Cheers. -Norm
nboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:00 PM   #58
onemany
"TRF" Member

I wish somebody did an actual study to determine if putting it on a winder is better or worse. A watch sitting still for 20 years has to have less wear than one in motion for 20 years. But does a watch that starts and stops over 20 years wear more than one that is constant motion?
onemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:13 PM   #59
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
If I recall correctly, TRF member Vanessa CW21, who is a Rolex watch tech, recommends against the use of watch winders for several reasons.

Check out her post and reasons...think she even made it her sig at one point:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ze#post5065210

"Okay I'm here to give my 2 cents since I was asked to give an opinion.
I haven't read the responses given, since it's late and I plan on going to bed soon!

I don't like winders.
I don't like them for several reasons:
1) Most people assume they actually wind the watch... No, they keep the watch wound, which means it should still have a good amount of power reserve in order to maintain the power. I get plenty of customers complaining that their power reserve is too short "even though the watch was on the winder all day 3 days prior".
2) Cheap winders MAGNETIZE watches! The motors aren't insulated and cause the watches to start running erratically! I just had one two weeks ago, with a 2 y.o. DJII. A complete service of the movement was required.
3) Unless you're too old, or have some kind of medical condition that prevents you from having the feeling in your fingertips to wind the crown, I don't see a reason to need a winder.
4) I don't like the unnecessary wear it causes the movement. Unnecessary because you're putting wear on the watch while you're not even enjoying it.

In the end, it's all up to you and I'm pretty sure all you TRF'ers know what to expect. I'm mostly having a hard time explaining to people who have absolutely no clue about the inner workings of a watch."
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 06:43 PM   #60
sherrytang
"TRF" Member

If you have mechanical watches, you must need one kind of watch winder to make your mechanical watches keep running when it wasn't worn. It's really necessary.

This article may help: https://purchasing.ecvv.com/index.ph..._article_id=11
sherrytang is offline   Reply With Quote