The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 November 2017, 06:18 AM   #61
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
When some people save a long time for a luxury watch, a few thousand is a big deal. Not everyone is liquid. There's people on here who save years for some watches
And there's that saying... you don't get rich by writing a lot of cheques (or "checks" for Americans.)
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 07:55 AM   #62
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
And there's that saying... you don't get rich by writing a lot of cheques (or "checks" for Americans.)
Some people are rich because they don't buy watches at all.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 03:54 PM   #63
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Oh yes.. the "cash deal" will change everything.

The Patek retailer will be delighted to see someone walk in 60k-100k with small damp wadded up bills in a Louie monogram duffle bag one likely borrowed from a washed up rap star turned "producer".

I think you maybe mistake the Patek retail experience for that of say...Rolex.
You Guys in this Forum, started to sound very arrogant.
Calm down.it is only a overprice watch.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 04:04 PM   #64
holdtime
Banned

Is the Pateck making owners become arogants and preposteos ?
I was exploring, but had enough .Iam back to common pedestrian watches Ap Rolex Cartier.
Do not want to be like you when I grow up.
Old 23 November 2017, 08:01 PM   #65
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
Some people are rich because they don't buy watches at all.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 09:35 PM   #66
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdtime View Post

Lol

Richard B
36mm datejust, Custom Explorer, Pepsi, Hulk, yellow gold dd2
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 09:50 PM   #67
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Retail
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 09:52 PM   #68
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
It's more than a watch. It can slay dragons!

Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:40 AM   #69
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was exploring, but had enough .Iam back to common pedestrian watches Ap Rolex Cartier.
FWIW i think the context of the OP question was where that may have started. Anyone who did the slightest bit of pre purchase research here or elsewhere would know that 20-30% discounts are not happening, period. Its a two way street as you have to do some leg work yourself first and then people here are more than happy to help. When you come in and clearly don't know what you are talking about then people get a bit colorful with responses.

people understandably get a bit touchy when they wait years to buy one of those watches at retail price and then someone expects to buy in bulk and get a huge discount.

The Patek forum IMO is one of the least arrogant subforms here. Not that any of them are bad, but this one is better than most. Generally though, to me, your first post in any subform should not be about what kind of discount you can get. Contribute and discuss watches as this isn't a shopping service.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 03:58 AM   #70
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
FWIW i think the context of the OP question was where that may have started. Anyone who did the slightest bit of pre purchase research here or elsewhere would know that 20-30% discounts are not happening, period. Its a two way street as you have to do some leg work yourself first and then people here are more than happy to help. When you come in and clearly don't know what you are talking about then people get a bit colorful with responses.

people understandably get a bit touchy when they wait years to buy one of those watches at retail price and then someone expects to buy in bulk and get a huge discount.

The Patek forum IMO is one of the least arrogant subforms here. Not that any of them are bad, but this one is better than most. Generally though, to me, your first post in any subform should not be about what kind of discount you can get. Contribute and discuss watches as this isn't a shopping service.
I mention exploring,NOT looking for shopping service.or a arrogant respond.
I hope this attitude does not reflect the brand.
like the watch without,the attitud and lessons .
Thanks.
Old 24 November 2017, 04:44 AM   #71
CRDMMW
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:

It’s spelled Patek, not “Pateck.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRDMMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 04:48 AM   #72
holdtime
Banned

Oh, thought it was petco!
Old 24 November 2017, 05:11 AM   #73
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDMMW View Post
It’s spelled Patek, not “Pateck.”

Thanks!
Old 24 November 2017, 05:16 AM   #74
CRDMMW
Banned

Quote:
Thanks!

You’re welcome! Anytime!

Old 24 November 2017, 08:19 PM   #75
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
They get very sensitive here because they think the only way to get their special watches is to wait a few years and pay retail, ask a question about discounts and the whole group attacks, what a friendly sub!
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 02:07 AM   #76
holdtime
Banned

Arrogance

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
They get very sensitive here because they think the only way to get their special watches is to wait a few years and pay retail, ask a question about discounts and the whole group attacks, what a friendly sub!
Rest of forum is nice and informative.Patek forum is extreme arrogance.
So FOR THAT REASON I’m OUT!
Old 25 November 2017, 03:10 AM   #77
InfinityNexus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

I agree; it's similar to someone who posts in any forum asking for advice without any sort of research. I'm not arrogant myself, and I certainly can't afford a patek at the moment, but even I read the comment and responded with some disdain: the world won't be handed to you on a silver platter...do a bit of research, ask a reasonable question and you'll get a reasonable answer
InfinityNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 11:08 AM   #78
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

I got 15% off of my Patek 5167 in 2013 (year or so before the price drop), but then again, it was on a steel bracelet. Was offered a Nautilus with white dial with a smaller discount. I forget how much it was being 4 years ago, but I had no interest in the style. In retrospect, should have bit the bullet anyway. Oh well.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 11:32 AM   #79
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailman View Post
What do you think is a good discount on a SS sports ( nautilus/ aquanaut ) Patek?

Myself and 2 friends are considering leveraging a discount with (3) cash deals.

I’ve heard of 20% , but could 25% to 30% be had ?

Thanks
Sir that was possible some 7 years ago but impossible nowadays.

I got my 5711 in blue dial at 30% off SRP or 18k+ USD way back 2010.

I got my 5167 at 15% off SRP in early 2016.

Now, I placed an order for a 5168 and the AD told me that they don't give discounts anymore. (5168 is selling at SRP plus 14k USD premium in HK)

ADs in my country are now very selective in choosing clients to whom they'll sell their sports model PPs bec of rampant flippings and cartels.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 12:31 PM   #80
The B
"TRF" Member

Clear the air?

Quote:
I would and have never labeled any watch brands as pedestrian and I certainly regret you took the response to the question as "arrogant", I find it entertaining and colorful - maybe a little much for some apparently...I just don't take any of this seriously enough (watches or the internet forums) to have any such need to "calm down".

The OP question was about the value (if any) of offering an authorized retailer a volume and/or cash deal. All my experiences with authorized Patek dealers, it was required to be in cash payment and all Rolex transactions I had to remind the authorized dealer that I was not filling out a credit application to get the watch out of the store. Just my AD retail experiences with "in demand" pieces...

I also find your responses entertaining...I am just responding in case your not kidding...party on.
The B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 12:40 PM   #81
CRDMMW
Banned

Quote:
Rest of forum is nice and informative.Patek forum is extreme arrogance.

So FOR THAT REASON I’m OUT!

No one is keeping you here. au revoir

Old 25 November 2017, 01:11 PM   #82
Bryant Park
Banned

All of those pictured plus numerous others along the way purchased in NJ. Best discounts (25-30%) occurred on high price items in 2008. Recently I can still get 10-15% even for hard to get items given that I have ordered and waited for some complicated pieces. I have stayed loyal to one great AD, always communicated openly, and purchased a fair size Rolex collection through this AD as well. Consequently we have a relationship and as such I have sent this AD a ton of referrals over the years.

Unfortunately, I think your bundle for cash approach in this market will have the opposite result. The ADs don't need you to take scarce inventory items, cash is a 3% variable vs CC, and volume only matters if the item won't move. Coming at a dealer with this approach in this market will suggest you are a transient customer at best an adversary at worst.

Whatever floats your boat but I would try and work with someone rather then present yourself as someone who is trying to get a deal on a gym membership.

I hope this doesn't come off as arrogant as my intent is to provide an earnest response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0776.jpg (286.0 KB, 186 views)
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 01:33 PM   #83
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

These threads on discounts get quite a varied response because the experiences of forum members vary considerably.

However I agree with other members that OP asking if one can get 20%-30% discount on SS Nautilus/Aquanaut is like asking in the Rolex forum if 20%-30% discount is possible on a cash purchase if one is looking to buy a SS Daytona, SS Green Sub and a SS Skydweller all together.

Since OP started the thread, but has not followed up in the thread, I wonder if it was really serious question to begin with.

I think the bottom line is that people with AD connections can still get discounts on some popular watches. However it is getting harder for people new to the brand to get a discount on a SS Aquanut/Nautilus, although discounts are available on Calatravas and more complicated dress watches.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 08:14 AM   #84
spiker
"TRF" Member

FWIW, I recently retired and was looking for a new - non-grey market 5712. I called around AD's and none offered any discounts or even asked me if I wanted to be put on a list. This would be my first and only PP. I did find someone that stated they could possibly get me one "shortly" if I put down a 25% deposit - they wanted 50% at first. She did not have a specific date but stated that I was 2nd on the "list". When I did get the "call" I was told that the 1st on the list had a change of heart. She said that I can take a look at it and if I liked it - it was mine. I liked it when I saw it and now I am just amazed by it. This whole process took 2 months. BTW - they were willing to ship it out of state for an additional savings.
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 08:30 AM   #85
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
All of those pictured plus numerous others along the way purchased in NJ. Best discounts (25-30%) occurred on high price items in 2008. Recently I can still get 10-15% even for hard to get items given that I have ordered and waited for some complicated pieces. I have stayed loyal to one great AD, always communicated openly, and purchased a fair size Rolex collection through this AD as well. Consequently we have a relationship and as such I have sent this AD a ton of referrals over the years.

Unfortunately, I think your bundle for cash approach in this market will have the opposite result. The ADs don't need you to take scarce inventory items, cash is a 3% variable vs CC, and volume only matters if the item won't move. Coming at a dealer with this approach in this market will suggest you are a transient customer at best an adversary at worst.

Whatever floats your boat but I would try and work with someone rather then present yourself as someone who is trying to get a deal on a gym membership.

I hope this doesn't come off as arrogant as my intent is to provide an earnest response.
Wow, what a collection! Love it! Interesting that you went for a 5270 with the chin. I’d also say you need a 5370 in there.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:14 AM   #86
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Wow, what a collection! Love it! Interesting that you went for a 5270 with the chin. I’d also say you need a 5370 in there.
Thanks. In terms of the chin, it wound up being an impulse buy. Right moment, price etc. Not for everyone but helped my AD so he helped me.

On the 5370 thanks for supporting the addiction. Great piece but never seen one on wrist. Next piece (post 5522 in Dec) will be a minute repeater as I consolidate down a few. Still in the concept stage but went on a tour that has likely sealed it.

Old 26 November 2017, 11:17 AM   #87
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. In terms of the chin, it wound up being an impulse buy. Right moment, price etc. Not for everyone but helped my AD so he helped me.

On the 5370 thanks for supporting the addiction. Great piece but never seen one on wrist. Next piece (post 5522 in Dec) will be a minute repeater as I consolidate down a few. Still in the concept stage but went on a tour that has likely sealed it.

Congratulations in advance!

Simple minute repeater, or with additional complications?
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:22 AM   #88
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Congratulations in advance!

Simple minute repeater, or with additional complications?
Thanks but premature. I am scheduled to pay another visit in January to discuss options, wait times, and hear sample tones. Excited to do it but not ready to commit to buying a piece unless I am sure I will wear it. As it stands I wear every watch I own. MR may be to much.
Old 26 November 2017, 11:45 AM   #89
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Forgive the ignorance, but what is this referring to?
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:45 AM   #90
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Thanks but premature. I am scheduled to pay another visit in January to discuss options, wait times, and hear sample tones. Excited to do it but not ready to commit to buying a piece unless I am sure I will wear it. As it stands I wear every watch I own. MR may be to much.
Keep us posted on the journey to buy a MR. Do you go to Geneva to see and hear the different MRs?
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote