The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 2 September 2020, 08:27 AM   #1
RobertoCleveland
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Ebay ‘Authenticity Guarantee’ is a joke

I decided to jump on a vintage 1803 DD on eBay, priced to sell. The watch was listed with eBay’s “Authenticity Guarantee”, which made me feel more comfortable as I could always return it.

I have now received the watch and as I examine it, it is obvious the alleged “Authenticity Guarantee” has multiple failures:

1) The “guarantee” listed the model as a 18038 when the case clearly showed it as an 1803. (The eBay listing correctly identified the watch as an 1803.)

2) The “guarantee“ is supposed to verify the listing details. The listing claimed the movement was original (which would be a 1556 or at worst a 1555), BUT the movement inside has a 1570 stamped bridge! And yet the watch has a working day complication...so this is clearly a Frankenwatch in some form, the bridge at the very least.

The model # and the movement # are the two most basic and easiest things to verify, but the eBay Authenticator couldn’t even get those right??

Just say no to eBay and their fake guarantees.
RobertoCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 08:32 AM   #2
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Have you provided this information to eBay? The authenticity guarantee would entitle you to your money back. The listing is made by the seller not eBay.

Last edited by Rexplorer214270; 2 September 2020 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Add a sentence
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 08:34 AM   #3
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
That’s not good thanks for sharing... at least you’ll get your money back.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
All "Authenticity Guarantees", or "Certificates" are to be taken with a grain of salt.

There is no authority who licenses any outfit to generate such documents as actual guarantees.

The only value of the guaranty is that if you subsequently find out yourself, that it is not authentic, they will honor it....somehow (how is likely not spelled out). Of course, if they don't honor it, it was worth even less.
Old 2 September 2020, 08:55 AM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

They are idiots and would never pay for a real knowledgeable watchmaker to look at watches all day
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 09:03 AM   #6
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
You can check out if the whole movement is the wrong one trying to quick set day and date. This shouldn't be possible on a four digit DD.
Generally it's become a nightmare to buy confidently watches nowadays. Impossible to find at ADs, very few really reliable dealers out there..
Old 2 September 2020, 09:06 AM   #7
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
All "Authenticity Guarantees", or "Certificates" are to be taken with a grain of salt.

There is no authority who licenses any outfit to generate such documents as actual guarantees.

The only value of the guaranty is that if you subsequently find out yourself, that it is not authentic, they will honor it....somehow (how is likely not spelled out). Of course, if they don't honor it, it was worth even less.
Well, that's not correct at all. And you are unnecessarily providing an opinion, and a negative one at that, in the form of a statement of fact. Your "cheers" sign-off rings with a sarcasm that is also unwarranted.

OP: You will be fine. Keep all records, take pictures and be prepared to provide a narrative in writing. Ebay is the authority guaranteeing the authenticity of the watch and the accuracy of the description of the watch.

There is no "somehow they will honor the guarantee." They WILL honor the guarantee as long as the buyer follows their protocol of disputing the sale. And it is spelled out in the language as described on their website exactly how to do

that. One more thing - if you used a credit card for the payment, all the better. Inform the bank now of the situation and that you plan on disputing the charrge.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 09:24 AM   #8
RobertoCleveland
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
Have you provided this information to eBay? The authenticity guarantee would entitle you to your money back. The listing is made by the seller not eBay.
I am currently in their 60 minute “we’ll call you back when it is your turn” customer service queue. The rub is that I removed the red “do not remove” sticker in order to verify the movement, which according to eBay’s policy makes it non returnable. I’m just glad I have the obvious “gotcha” incompetency proof against the authenticator, with that incorrect model# error right there on the certificate matched with serial number.
Old 2 September 2020, 11:51 AM   #9
RobertoCleveland
"TRF" Member

Ok I’ve taken a little breather now. I guess it isn’t the end of the world that, at some point in the watch’s 43 year history, an identical bridge from a different caliber number had to be sourced for some kind of service.

I’m still disappointed with the authenticator though...eBay will have somebody call me back tomorrow about that.
Old 8 September 2020, 11:56 AM   #10
MickMcGreggor
"TRF" Member

Ebay has very recently rolled out mandatory authenticity guarantee to all watches selling at or expected to sell at $2,000 or more if the seller is based in the US. While it's a good step towards weeding out fakes, it's unclear how skilled the authentication providers are and eBay won't reveal who they are. Hope you get everything sorted out.
MickMcGreggor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 10:35 PM   #11
RobertoCleveland
"TRF" Member

Final update: an eBay Authenticate director did reach out to me to address my concerns, explain the authentication criteria, share communication process improvements eBay is considering around the authentication process, and to pass feedback to the authenticator.

I took my watch to the local AD who was kind enough to regulate it gratis on the spot, which took about 30 minutes.

eBay did offer to accept return of the watch, but after the regulation I am now satisfied and have decided to keep it.
Old 13 September 2020, 03:43 AM   #12
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
Well, that's not correct at all. And you are unnecessarily providing an opinion, and a negative one at that, in the form of a statement of fact. Your "cheers" sign-off rings with a sarcasm that is also unwarranted.

OP: You will be fine. Keep all records, take pictures and be prepared to provide a narrative in writing. Ebay is the authority guaranteeing the authenticity of the watch and the accuracy of the description of the watch.

There is no "somehow they will honor the guarantee." They WILL honor the guarantee as long as the buyer follows their protocol of disputing the sale. And it is spelled out in the language as described on their website exactly how to do

that. One more thing - if you used a credit card for the payment, all the better. Inform the bank now of the situation and that you plan on disputing the charrge.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Good luck and keep us posted.
Well I tend to agree with TOOLS.
There is no one except ROLEX GENEVA - who knows exactly how a watch left their factory.

And I doubt that neither eBay or these 'secret' authenticators will have any idea what some of the latest counterfeiters, or franken pieces can get up too.

Do we even know if these companies are 'approved' ROLEX repair centers? I dont think so!

Bottom line, is that eBay are playing games on a topic they have little to no knowledge on
A
Old 13 September 2020, 02:33 PM   #13
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
More fleecebay confusions equates to:
More reasons to stay the heck away from it.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:39 AM   #14
Recaro18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
Fleabay Authentication is BS!!

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 09:03 AM   #15
syklum
"TRF" Member

Ebay Authenticity Guarantee - Bad for new watches!

Just sold a like-new watch on ebay. Was not aware that all watches over $2K automatically have to send the watch to its third party authenticator. While I understand the benefits of this for both buyer and seller, here is why it doesn't work for some situations.

Imagine selling a new or like-new Rolex watch, they send it to their third party authenticator who you do not know or have any contract or remedy with, the authenticator may inspect it and run tests on it, including taking off the bracelets and straps AND even opening up the case (this is what ebay told me and you can see their videos saying they do this)! They don't tell you what tests they ran or what they did on your new watch. Immediately, this watch to me is devalued and you've added more liability by it being subject to scratches, damage by allowing another third party to tinker with it (I don't care how experienced they are). You don't know whether opening up the watch has compromised the water rating or caused other damage or even potentially voided a factory warranty.

Imagine now you allow for returns - the buyer sends it back to the authenticator and now does the tests and inspections again, another potential liability. As a seller, I don't want this watch back ever again, it's now worse off than when I had first tried to sell it.

On top of this, if something does happen to the watch while in the hands of the authenticator or in transit from authenticator to buyer, I don't see any specific language in the Terms of Service that says Sellers would be made whole. Sellers here are taking the leap of faith that everything will be taken care of, but that is not something I'm willing to do.

Ebay does not make clear what these authenticators will actually do - I did not give them permission to ever inspect or open up my new watch, but they have made it mandatory now for $2k watches and above. Shipping time will also double. In sum, only way I would sell a watch now on ebay is if it's an older watch I don't care about being opened up and I would not allow for returns. If you're a buyer trying to buy a new watch, note that your new watch might be opened up and it might not be "new" after that. Note that ebay said they don't always open up the case or remove bracelets, but you don't know if or when they do.
syklum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 04:00 PM   #16
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Funny coincidence, I just had a lengthy chat with eBay about exactly this issue. And I did - in the end - decide against buying a BNIB watch through eBay. The basic idea is good, but I share the reservations about someone tinkering with my watch. The eBay representative I chatted with confirmed that the Authenticators definitely remove the bracelet to verify the numbers under the end links and potentially open the case to inspect the movement. Unfortunately, that was a no-go for me as well. I want to be the first one to put a scratch into my new watch.

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 06:18 AM   #17
drlecter
"TRF" Member

I bought a Breitling B01...

Hello all,

I bought a used B01 last week from ebay and the authenticator send me the watch with a lose back-case, so when I remove the watch from the box the back-case fell off!

This is the second time that I have an issue with their process and I am not buying a high end watch from ebay never again.

It seems that the people that verify the watches do not have an idea what they have to do.

Also, it seems that they do NOT waterproof test the watches, otherwise the back-case would of come screwed in.

eBay authentication = Nightmares
Old 30 March 2023, 12:06 AM   #18
opfanboy
"TRF" Member

The eBay authenticity guarantee isn't great... I purchased a watch advertised with a "full bracelet" (e.g all links). Came with one missing. They couldn't even be bothered to count 12 links on an OP bracelet.
opfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 06:30 PM   #19
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I’ve bought and sold with eBay authentication and both times were good.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 07:20 PM   #20
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
I’ve bought and sold with eBay authentication and both times were good.
Same here, although the company used in the uk is quite well-known as watchmakers.
Old 7 February 2024, 02:14 AM   #21
Squiresurf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Same here, although the company used in the uk is quite well-known as watchmakers.
Nonetheless i've had them describe a 6694 as an automatic watch & not know the difference with a fluted bezel on a datejust - not sure how knowledgeable they are with Vintage Rolexes !
Squiresurf is offline   Reply With Quote