The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 October 2020, 05:58 AM   #1
noshame
"TRF" Member

New Old Stock buying advice

Hi members, asking for help regarding buying a New Old Stock watch. This is not about a Rolex timepiece, but the topic could be applicable to one. I ran across a lovely Longines at a Swatch Outlet Store and I know for a fact this reference was discontinued from their catalogue in 2017. I'm guessing Longines sent any remaining models to these outlet stores to sell them off. Should I be concerned about a movement that has been sitting asleep in its box for the last 3-4 years? I was mainly wondering about the lubrication oils and if it would need a service, even if it still kept decent time. I was thinking my options would be:

a) Service it, regardless of how well it kept time
b) Service it ONLY if it was not keeping time well
c) Not buy the watch

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 18 October 2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Didn't mention if it has any warranty? Otherwise after inspection and doing my due diligence on any watch that was not bought new from the AD a watch such as a Longines could easily be serviced if necessary. I would just buy it if you want i. since it is new old stock, doesn't mean it is any different than me selling you a watch that has been sitting unworn for the last few years but still functions properly when wound.
Old 18 October 2020, 07:58 AM   #3
noshame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Didn't mention if it has any warranty? Otherwise after inspection and doing my due diligence on any watch that was not bought new from the AD a watch such as a Longines could easily be serviced if necessary. I would just buy it if you want i. since it is new old stock, doesn't mean it is any different than me selling you a watch that has been sitting unworn for the last few years but still functions properly when wound.
Rado63, thanks for the response. Yes, the watch would have a 2 year Longines factory warranty begin on the date of sale.
Old 20 October 2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If you like it and it's a good price, go ahead and buy it. I would only have it serviced by Longines for free if it's not keeping good time. A lot of watches sit unwound for years in dealer's cases.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote