The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 October 2020, 01:03 AM   #1
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

MB&F Owners?

How do these stack up to other watches in the same price range? I am close to pulling trigger on a Legacy Machine I found at a solid price used but won't be able to see one in-person before doing so.

Really curious specifically about finishing compared to something like Lange or Patek.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 01:06 AM   #2
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
How do these stack up to other watches in the same price range? I am close to pulling trigger on a Legacy Machine I found at a solid price used but won't be able to see one in-person before doing so.

Really curious specifically about finishing compared to something like Lange or Patek.

Which of the LMs are you thinking of?

Not sure where you are located but you can go into Cellini in NY, Stephen Silver in CA, and provident in FL

In terms of finishing I think they are great since Kari is attached to all of the LMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 05:59 AM   #3
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Not much compares to Lange's finishing, just FYI. In many cases, not even Patek compares to Lange's finishing.

So if those are your standards, you might be slightly disappointed in a general sense.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 07:19 AM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiesh View Post
Which of the LMs are you thinking of?

Not sure where you are located but you can go into Cellini in NY, Stephen Silver in CA, and provident in FL

In terms of finishing I think they are great since Kari is attached to all of the LMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I go back and forth between Vancouver and Salt Lake. Before COVID I used to travel a lot to various US cities for work too so I probably won't be able to get to NY, CA, FL etc for a while unfortunately.

I'm pretty agnostic around the specific model so long as I can get it at a good price on the used market and not hemorrhage cash if I get bored of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Not much compares to Lange's finishing, just FYI. In many cases, not even Patek compares to Lange's finishing.

So if those are your standards, you might be slightly disappointed in a general sense.

Yeah I agree re: Lange crushing just about everything. After picking up my first Lange, it made just about everything else feel cheap

What would you compare MB&F to then?
Old 17 October 2020, 02:09 PM   #5
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Not an owner but handled a few recently. Was calculating in my head what I could sell to get a split escapement but was vetoed. I think the new perpetual with a rubber strap is awesome. I REALLY wanted the lm101 moser collab but they were all gone, plus I'd have to let a piece or two go. Resale supposedly a pretty tough one but i applaud the uniqueness, and I don't inspect anything with loupes really but I don't know how you're gonna complain about the finishing on these.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 02:21 PM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Not an owner but handled a few recently. Was calculating in my head what I could sell to get a split escapement but was vetoed. I think the new perpetual with a rubber strap is awesome. I REALLY wanted the lm101 moser collab but they were all gone, plus I'd have to let a piece or two go. Resale supposedly a pretty tough one but i applaud the uniqueness, and I don't inspect anything with loupes really but I don't know how you're gonna complain about the finishing on these.
Really helpful tank you. Agreed re the new perpetual on rubber. Looks ridiculously good.

I plan on buying used so resale shouldn't be a huge deal.
Old 17 October 2020, 07:47 PM   #7
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
I think @horomariobro on IG has some nice close ups of the movement of a LM101.

E.g.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFdaVclnPRR

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC4nCO2HHSo/
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 08:04 PM   #8
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
I think @horomariobro on IG has some nice close ups of the movement of a LM101.

E.g.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFdaVclnPRR

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC4nCO2HHSo/
I love his macro shots. Messaged him. Good call.
Old 17 October 2020, 10:52 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Nice macro shots! Thx for posting links.

Looks to be the typical Patek-level finish, perhaps higher-level such as Lange, yet not ultra-tier FPJ. Have always admired the modern MB&F offerings, so i say go for it if you love it
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 12:34 AM   #10
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Nice macro shots! Thx for posting links.

Looks to be the typical Patek-level finish, perhaps higher-level such as Lange, yet not ultra-tier FPJ. Have always admired the modern MB&F offerings, so i say go for it if you love it
Really? I would put FPJ below Lange and maybe even below Patek.
Old 18 October 2020, 01:32 AM   #11
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
I'd put FPJ ahead of Patek. Usually below ALS (Resonance and Optimum match up pretty well imho). This is model dependent of course, but ALS is pretty much the gold standard (comparable price range) when you flip a watch over. Dial side I prefer FPJ to both by a wide margin. YMMV
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:33 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My bad on this misunderstanding. From low to high for movement finishing....

Rolex
Typical Patek, and MB&F
ALS
FPJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 18 October 2020, 03:36 AM   #13
kunlun
"TRF" Member

I think people may have a mistaken idea about Lange. Lange is well known for having a high level of finishing among mass produced brands. It much better than Patek, which currently lacks hand finishing at all on lower and mid-level watches (yes, Patek is below many brands on their low and mid level catalogue watches).

But, Lange is not very good compared to higher level independents, including MB&F.

Flaws in highest-end Lange finishing:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFn9JMuHDP_/

Lange caught not finishing the underside of their hands:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CE_6NC2HiET/

MB&F is finished to a far higher standard and leaves Lange in the dust.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBZb9jxn_5_/
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:21 AM   #14
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
I think people may have a mistaken idea about Lange. Lange is well known for having a high level of finishing among mass produced brands. It much better than Patek, which currently lacks hand finishing at all on lower and mid-level watches (yes, Patek is below many brands on their low and mid level catalogue watches).

But, Lange is not very good compared to higher level independents, including MB&F.

Flaws in highest-end Lange finishing:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFn9JMuHDP_/

Lange caught not finishing the underside of their hands:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CE_6NC2HiET/

MB&F is finished to a far higher standard and leaves Lange in the dust.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBZb9jxn_5_/
Well said. I love my Lange 1, but in no way is the finishing comparable to what you would get from a MB&F, LF or RG for instance.

Regarding the FPJ to Lange comparisons. I do give the movement finishing edge slightly to Lange, although FPJ have certainly closed the gap over the years. This is not to knock FPJ, but he was always more focused on movement engineering than ultra high-end finishing (a sentiment I can 100% stand behind).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:30 AM   #15
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

To add further to this discussion, MB&F is one of my top 3 favorite brands. I love the philosophy of Max and the brand; I find him a refreshing personality in what is typically a very stodgy culture.

I've tried on a number of their watches and they are certainly worth the price of admission; from the architecture to the finishing to the playfulness, they are mechanical art. As a person with smaller wrists, they unfortunately wear too large for me (or atleast for how I prefer my watches to fit).

Only the LM101 would be a candidate (which I am still considering and may get in the future, depending on the direction of my collection).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:35 AM   #16
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Talked to Horomariobro on IG and he feels mb&f is a step up. In that case, I think it's time to pull the trigger. :)

Anyone know if they'll do any modifications to new orders?
Old 18 October 2020, 12:14 PM   #17
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Please post an incoming. If I win the lotto def getting mbf
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 10:55 PM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
To add further to this discussion, MB&F is one of my top 3 favorite brands. I love the philosophy of Max and the brand; I find him a refreshing personality in what is typically a very stodgy culture.
1000000% agree! Have been looking at MB&F for many years yet never pulled the trigger. Was thinking a desk clock first, yet just ordered the Panerai 8 Day last week. MB&F does invent and create some incredible mechanical masterpieces.

Old 18 October 2020, 11:04 PM   #19
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Pretty damn amazing pieces, sadly never handled one.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 09:42 AM   #20
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Anyone other owners care to chime in?
Old 20 October 2020, 11:01 AM   #21
aproo
"TRF" Member

I have a LM 101 and i love it. Fits nicely under the cuff and not intrusively in your face. The workmanship is amazing as well. One of my favourite dress watch and gets lots of compliments as well. You can't go wrong with an LM. Just have to find the one which fits your wrist and for me it was the 101.

Screenshot_20201020-085858.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 09:02 PM   #22
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproo View Post
I have a LM 101 and i love it. Fits nicely under the cuff and not intrusively in your face. The workmanship is amazing as well. One of my favourite dress watch and gets lots of compliments as well. You can't go wrong with an LM. Just have to find the one which fits your wrist and for me it was the 101.

Attachment 1177625

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Looks great. I love the grey dial! What size is your wrist?
Old 22 October 2020, 09:09 PM   #23
aproo
"TRF" Member

6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcheater666 View Post
looks great. I love the grey dial! What size is your wrist?
aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2021, 08:23 AM   #24
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Just bumping this, going to check one out in Miami in June. Can't seem to figure out what a good price is for the legacy machine. Seems like ~$50k - $60k?
Old 25 April 2021, 03:32 PM   #25
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
Quote:
Just bumping this, going to check one out in Miami in June. Can't seem to figure out what a good price is for the legacy machine. Seems like ~$50k - $60k?
I assume you are still talking about a pre-owned LM101, correct? You should be able to get a RG or WG with standard dial for low $50s. I believe that pre-owned SEs are going for mid to high 60's.

I have the same LM101 Frost model as Horomariobro and can say the finish work is outstanding. Good luck and look forward to seeing the incoming!
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote