The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 November 2009, 05:20 PM   #61
rtwilbur@gmail.com
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2c
The new Airwolf Raven is really nice, saw it in person. Close to pulling the trigger but I really want the Rolex GMT2c.
rtwilbur@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2009, 08:44 PM   #62
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Breitling is Breitling.....and Rolex is Rolex; and never the twain shall meet - thank the Lord!!
X2
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 05:42 AM   #63
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwilbur@gmail.com View Post
The new Airwolf Raven is really nice, saw it in person. Close to pulling the trigger but I really want the Rolex GMT2c.
Wow...you're not kidding. I didn't even know about this watch until your post...but looked up some pictures and thought "SWEET". If I were in the market for a quartz analog/digital watch, that would probably be at the top of my list. Love the back w/ it's jet turbines design. Really good looking IMO.

moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2009, 09:38 PM   #64
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Really like both brands, but it's a little bit like apples and oranges for me.

I LOVE my Avanger Skyland, but can't really compare it to my favorite Rolex - the GMT II. They're just 2 completely different pieces, but at the end of the day I think they are both spot on!

Cheers,
Joe
multimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 09:03 AM   #65
cobblecanyon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 116610LN
I owned both and they are both great watches!
cobblecanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 12:16 PM   #66
wristbliss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTIIc
I find it funny that people always say that Breitling is "more common" than Rolex. In the city I live in there are at least 2 Rolex AD's and only 1 Breitling AD. Breitling is a FANTASTIC watch with a FANTASTIC heritage. They have super customer service. When I purchased my SuperOcean they sent me a letter of thanks and a great hat. When I purchased my Rolex GMTIIc (for about 3x the money) I didn't get squat...from the AD or Rolex. I would advise anyone to take the time to look at the Breitling line and investigate their production quality. My only negative with Breitling is with their tendancy to make their watches "flashy". I'm tend to lean more towards a watch that isn't as "in your face". IMHO, for the money, Breitling is one of the best watches you can purchase.
wristbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 05:09 PM   #67
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristbliss View Post
My only negative with Breitling is with their tendancy to make their watches "flashy". I'm tend to lean more towards a watch that isn't as "in your face".
I agree. I wish a lot of their high polish cases/bracelets were brushed instead...then they would be perfect IMO.
Old 20 November 2009, 01:09 PM   #68
ebrigm

Watch: Submariner LV
I have decided recently to get my long sought after Rolex for my 40th birthday. After going to the AD and trying them all out, I choose the Submariner LV. I came back the next day because I had heard so much about the new Breitling B01. My AD is also a Breitling dealer, so I tried the B01. The moral?

I am still getting the Rolex, but my next watch will be the B01!
ebrigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2009, 05:24 PM   #69
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
This is why I got the Chrono Avenger which was Ti. The old SuperOcean Professional had a brushed SS finish which was nice (BTW, that was my Breitling).

I also had the Steelfish blue dial, it was a nice heavy piece but the Pro II SS wasn't as comfy as the Pro I in Ti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I agree. I wish a lot of their high polish cases/bracelets were brushed instead...then they would be perfect IMO.
Old 21 November 2009, 01:25 AM   #70
wgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 000
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I've always liked Breitlings & almost pulled the trigger on a few models, yet never did. Believe it or not, my BIGGEST complaint with the brand is the fact that they highly polish the heck out of all their models. It seems the only way you can get away from the polished look is to buy titanium examples, but I'm just not a titanium guy. The polish just looks to "In Your Face" shiny...some say it looks more dressy, but to me it degrades the watch and makes it look cheap. I'll take brushed SS any day over polished. I mean, come on, we're talking sport watches with 99.9% of their collection.

My other slight complaint is the fact that their bracelet links seem soooooo loose...I know that's the way they design them for comfort, but to me it almost feels cheap like it is already worn out and loose. In the end, if they started brushing their stainless instead of polishing, I'm sure one would already be in my collection.
I agree with you 100%. I think Breitling is "missing the boat" by not offering more models with an all brushed finish, especially with the sportier models. In my opinion they would experience a boost in sales with more brushed surfaced watches. I would hop on the Breitling train if they did it...
wgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 04:16 AM   #71
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
This is why I got the Chrono Avenger which was Ti. The old SuperOcean Professional had a brushed SS finish which was nice (BTW, that was my Breitling).

I also had the Steelfish blue dial, it was a nice heavy piece but the Pro II SS wasn't as comfy as the Pro I in Ti.
I agree. Not only is the Pro I more comfortable IMO, I like the look of it a lot better than the Pro II. Again, II seems more dressy which is not the look I'm going for when I sport a watch like a Breitling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgs View Post
I agree with you 100%. I think Breitling is "missing the boat" by not offering more models with an all brushed finish, especially with the sportier models. In my opinion they would experience a boost in sales with more brushed surfaced watches. I would hop on the Breitling train if they did it...
Yep. I eventually bought a Skyland Avenger Blacksteel as the DLC finish was awesome. I liked pretty much everything about the watch except one minor point. The hands just seemed too plain to me and pretty thin...hence the lume wasn't very good (actually, the lume of the markers was pretty week too due to their small size).

Those knocks aside, I was planning on keep the watch for at least a year until I was going to flip to purchase a DSSD (the boss, aka wife, wasn't going to authorize more expansion to my collection in terms of numbers)...but sure enough about a month after I bought it I found a DSSD and had to purchase (this was over a year ago when it wasn't very easy to find a DSSD). So, the Breitling didn't stay in the collection too long. I'm sure I'll get another soon as I've seen a few w/ their new collection that look promising via pictures.

SA vs Sub Date lume:
Old 21 November 2009, 05:14 AM   #72
cobblecanyon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 116610LN
I don't wear alot of jewelry but I do like nice watches and sometimes,,,depending on the occassion, a nice bling from Breitling is in order. Now, the newer GMT IIc has a nice polished band and it gets attention when you wear it also. I don't like alot of diamonds or any for that matter on my watch, but a nice clean polished band is exactly what I look for when shopping for watches. IMHO, Breitlings, Rolex, Omega, Tags, Panerai...are all beautiful watches and one of my mission in life is to have 2 from each manufactures for my collection.
cobblecanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 05:21 AM   #73
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Here is a side-by-side comparison of both my ex's - you be the judge!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 05:36 AM   #74
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
My BB has the brushed/satin finish and it's the big reason I picked it up

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 08:03 AM   #75
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
My BB has the brushed/satin finish and it's the big reason I picked it up

That watch is killer. The brushed finish and those new big date windows are awesome IMO. I really like this watch...nice!!!
Old 13 December 2009, 09:03 AM   #76
petesjag
"TRF" Member

I seriously love my Breitlings because they are a marvel to look at, and they have a wondewrful wrist presence. I dont own any from the navitimer series but I understand that they are more dress watches. I like the sportyness of this brand...
petesjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 09:11 AM   #77
petesjag
"TRF" Member

seriously awsome at christmas time

My B1...
I was thinking about selling but wearing this watch again makes me realize that I must be crazy.....

pete
petesjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 09:35 PM   #78
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I love Breitling as well Omega.But for me Rolex is the one!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 07:52 AM   #79
dcourtenayt
2024 Pledge Member

I agree, Breitlings lose their value much more than Rolex. Rolex seems to stay the same or even increase in value.
dcourtenayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 08:11 AM   #80
Nicko
Banned

No comparison. Sorry.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2009, 01:59 AM   #81
Ricochet
"TRF" Member

For me, brand is tertiary to function and form. So here is my shortlist....

Jan 2010----Rolex DateJust II, Steel/Yellow Gold
Then------- Breitling Two-tone B01
Then------- IWC Grand Complication
Then------- Patek Phillipe
Old 18 December 2009, 02:37 AM   #82
john88

Watch: rolex sub-c
Breitling used to be my favorite brand i own a superavenger and had a steelfish x plus that I sold. No complaints as far as quality and craftsmanship, but imo I think theyre just to big and kinda all look the same. All the watches in the aeromarine series have basically the same exact case and face layout. At 1 point I was really in2 the big watch fad hence the super avenger (48mm) but now I guess my taste matured alil hence 36mm date just. . Just feel that rolex has such a classy look and Breitlings alil more ostentatious maybe?? Def regret my super avenger if wanted big watch in the future hands down dssd or if really had money 2 blow ap royal oak offshore
john88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2009, 09:03 AM   #83
scrog10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 2c
Quote:
Breitling is Breitling.....and Rolex is Rolex; and never the twain shall meet - thank the Lord!!
They meet at my house. Two very different watches. Exp 2 and Chrono Avenger. Both great watches but one of them is far better value in the preloved market. But to non watch lovers a Rolex is the one they know.
scrog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 12:10 AM   #84
Edward-K
"TRF" Member

I have always been impressed with breitling quality, however their designs do little for me. I like the evolutions and blackbird but thats about it. too many shiny parts for me. Ed
Edward-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 01:16 AM   #85
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here is a side-by-side comparison of both my ex's - you be the judge!!

That's too easy!!! Out of these two I'll take the.....Breitling!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 02:31 AM   #86
Double_J
"TRF" Member

I like my Breitling Chronomat Evo but I love my Rolexes.

I've also never been a fan of how Breitling handles the numbers on their dials (roman or arabic). They just end up looking a bit too busy to my eye when combined with the Chronograph dials. My Chronomat has batons and the face seems to come off as much cleaner.
Double_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 08:22 AM   #87
Ageing Orphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrigm View Post
I have decided recently to get my long sought after Rolex for my 40th birthday. After going to the AD and trying them all out, I choose the Submariner LV. I came back the next day because I had heard so much about the new Breitling B01. My AD is also a Breitling dealer, so I tried the B01. The moral?

I am still getting the Rolex, but my next watch will be the B01!
I did the same thing today. Went in to buy my Rolex GMT Master IIc and was shown the Breitling Chronomat B01 which I liked a lot. It is the first fully 'in-house' movement from Breitling with a 70HR reserve!!

I bought the Rolex, but I think my next watch (in a year or two) will be the SS - Black dial - Divers band B01.
Ageing Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 12:41 AM   #88
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I don't know how they compare, but I'm about to find out.... I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a B01 two-tone....
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2010, 03:43 PM   #89
monaco

Rolex rulz! they are analog, mechanical watches and hence you are in complete harmony with your machine, whereas Breitling have dual functioning watches to offer. Plus the depreciation of Breitlings....
monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 11:20 AM   #90
mr.clean
Banned

by dual functioning, do you mean the Superquartz? I give them credit for making a highly accurate quartz movement even though do not want one.

And honestly....who buys a watch for an investment? I don't care about resale because I'm buying mine to wear not to resell someday. If you can afford to buy something this expensive then you shouldn'y care about resale.
mr.clean is offline   Reply With Quote