The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 September 2020, 04:32 AM   #31
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Patek is a little above my pay grade currently, and I like it like that. It gives me something to aspire towards, regardless if I can ever get one at retail. I would love a 5712, its been on my list for a while. I imagine one day I will sell everything and buy a 5712.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 04:37 AM   #32
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
As part of my journey I've had Omega and Rolex but now have an AP and PP. I would definitely consider a Rolex again as I feel the watches can be complementary. Some situations are more suited for a Rolex, other situations an AP/PP.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 04:38 AM   #33
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
if you are tired of ‘games’, i would say moving from rolex to patek is a lateral move, at best!
+1
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 05:20 AM   #34
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Patek is a little above my pay grade currently, and I like it like that. It gives me something to aspire towards, regardless if I can ever get one at retail. I would love a 5712, its been on my list for a while. I imagine one day I will sell everything and buy a 5712.
I like your style
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 07:15 AM   #35
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15400ST View Post
Has anyone on here ditched Rolex in favor of a Patek? Not that Patek is much better when it comes to the Nautilus, Aquanaut, etc., but I'm tired of the "buy this to get that" game from Rolex AD's and the second hand market pricing is unsustainable in my opinion. I've now started debating the "crazy move" of ditching my bluesy and pepsi (both 5 digit) to go to a APRO and Patek (5396, 5230, 5205?) only combo.

Has anyone done this? Any regrets? Did you miss the variety in your collection? Did you miss having a Rolex?

I have both in my collection and they serve different purposes. My Rolex watches are perfect for my daily wear, especially when I’m out with my little kids. I tend to wear PP more for work or for a night out. For travel, I tend to use a Rolex and my PP 5164 (most under the radar watch I have).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 07:42 AM   #36
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have both and others.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 09:44 AM   #37
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
This is more along the lines of what I was asking about. For those that have gone all Patek/AP/VC, do you ever feel the urge to add a Rolex back in to your collection?
I don’t have a large collection, but when I got my AP I was blown away by the level of finish. My Rolex stopped getting wrist time and I contemplated selling it. Though as time has passed I’ve realized that it’s nice to keep at least one Rolex. This feels awkwardly snobby to type but my Rolex has become the watch I wear when I don’t want to worry about scratching my RO. I have a one year old son so the struggle is real. I’d imagine people who have a Patek keep a Rolex for the same reason.
Moving forward my next big watch purchase will likely be a mildly dressy mid level Patek (possibly 5205g), which by the way is refreshingly easy to find at an AD (in my limited experience). To a lesser extent VC also has my attention. The level of quality the trinity watches achieve makes it very tough to look back.
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 10:56 AM   #38
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post
I don’t have a large collection, but when I got my AP I was blown away by the level of finish. My Rolex stopped getting wrist time and I contemplated selling it. Though as time has passed I’ve realized that it’s nice to keep at least one Rolex. This feels awkwardly snobby to type but my Rolex has become the watch I wear when I don’t want to worry about scratching my RO. I have a one year old son so the struggle is real. I’d imagine people who have a Patek keep a Rolex for the same reason.
Moving forward my next big watch purchase will likely be a mildly dressy mid level Patek (possibly 5205g), which by the way is refreshingly easy to find at an AD (in my limited experience). To a lesser extent VC also has my attention. The level of quality the trinity watches achieve makes it very tough to look back.
This is where I have ended up with my collection. Just need a nice mix of robust tanks (rolex), stunning finishing/beauty (AP) and a nice manual wind dress watch (I chose Lange). Each serves a different and equally important purpose
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 11:01 AM   #39
15400ST
"TRF" Member

I think you all have convinced me that it's probably worth keeping a Rolex in the stable and that I'll eventually regret it and grab another if I don't.
15400ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 11:21 AM   #40
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
I believe once you get used to the finishing of Patek Philiippe, AP and VC all of a sudden Rolex appear to be on a different level.
i'm sorry if this will offend some people, but i would never compare Rolex with the holy trinity. Rolex is more comparable to Omega.
I had a datejust and batman before i bought my first Patek. when i bought my first and secone patek the datejust saw no wrist time what so ever.
when i bought my VCOS my batman saw no wrist time what so ever (all of a sudden the batman felt very rough on the edges when compared to the amazing finishing of VC).
when i got my APRO 15500 i started really considering selling my Datejust (although it is my first real luxary watch).
While Patek is great, I certainly don’t think owning a couple has caused me to appreciate a Rolex any less. Frankly, the finishing on a Patek (and many others for that matter) is higher end but Rolex wins in other categories (durability, etc). To be honest, I wear my oysterflex Daytona 10-1 over either Patek I own (5712 and 5165) as I don’t have to worry about it in the same way.

Bought a couple of FPJs recently and those have definitely taken time away from others on the wrist...not because of finishing per se but just because they are so interesting (IMO).

To each his own but I certainly enjoying having variety on the wrist.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 11:37 AM   #41
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think you all have convinced me that it's probably worth keeping a Rolex in the stable and that I'll eventually regret it and grab another if I don't.

Definitely keep at least one. I used to own a bunch of Rolex but as my collection diversified, I now own fewer. I’m quite happy with the two that I have now, but may add back a PM Daytona. That said, the Patek get the most worst time.

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 11:42 AM   #42
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
Definitely keep at least one. I used to own a bunch of Rolex but as my collection diversified, I now own fewer. I’m quite happy with the two that I have now, but may add back a PM Daytona. That said, the Patek get the most worst time.

Wow, nice collection!
I’d say you just need to add a AP RO and and a dress Lange and you’re done!
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 11:50 AM   #43
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Superb collection! Bravo!
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 11:52 AM   #44
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Wouldn’t ditch one for the other, variety is the spice of life. I do think you can have your fill of one though
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:02 PM   #45
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Oh my. You have some great heavy hitters in there My favorite though is that aquanaut. Looking forward to pulling the trigger on one soon. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Mr. Miami; 2 September 2020 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Typo
Mr. Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:06 PM   #46
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post
Wow, nice collection!
I’d say you just need to add a AP RO and and a dress Lange and you’re done!

I really want to add a 6007a, 5970p and a Chronometre Bleu. Then I’ll be “done.” Like that’s possible...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:51 PM   #47
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
My work wear (back when that was a thing) was/is khakis and a polo. I wear a suit once a year for a wedding so I just don't have a need for a dress watch. I love the PP sport watches but they are next to impossible to get. I am waiting on an AP 15500 SS but that's about the extent of my foray into the trinity. I wish i had more use for a dress watch because I love the 5524R. Almost bought in in Maui (they were going to throw in a Pepsi) just for that one wedding a year but decided against it. So it's tool watches for me I guess.
Old 2 September 2020, 01:40 PM   #48
ars1g09
"TRF" Member

Watch: R, AP, PP
Quote:
This is more along the lines of what I was asking about. For those that have gone all Patek/AP/VC, do you ever feel the urge to add a Rolex back into your collection?
Personally speaking, I still love my Rolex pieces just as much as I love my Patek pieces. They are very very different beasts and I really appreciate the variety.

It's a bit difficult to explain but I imagine it's like eating out vs eating at home - each option has got its charms, and I can't imagine ALWAYS having to eat out or ALWAYS having to eat a home-cooked meal. In a similar way, I really cannot imagine JUST having my Pateks - nor can I imagine JUST having my Rolexes.
ars1g09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 01:45 PM   #49
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I think you need both.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 04:43 PM   #50
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
I can wear my Patek perp or 5960 p when not broken but nothing feels like a Rolex, for whatever reason and a fraction of the price

Did I mention Patek and breaking? Guess I sound like a broken record on the forums

My 5960 p pusher cap is about to fall off, here’s to another 3 months plus at service
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 06:46 PM   #51
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I like hublot, never owned one though. Didn’t they make some sort of gold that doesn’t scratch? I’d be interested in that.
yes I am also a Hublot appreciator… I own a classic fusion in titanium, it's my daily beater and sits nice on my wrist... in the summer months and not wearing a suit to work I've put the others in the safe... walking round London with a flash of gold or even the aquanaut and it's crazy grey market value has got me a bit paranoid lately

on the subject of Hublot I do like their big bang integral and think their king gold is what you're on about?
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 11:08 PM   #52
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I have never been married to any brand, so I haven’t ever had to ditch any either, but what I can say is this: If the traits that characterize a watch like a Patek/Vacheron/Lange/etc. become important to you, your interest in purchasing more industrial products, whether or not as great in quality as those made by Rolex, may diminish. The beauty of a well finished bridge, with delicate anglage and a sharpness informed by finesse rather than by harshness does make the efficient but basic finish of Submariner/GMT/DJ/etc., however historically significant, hyped, practical or otherwise cool these watches may be, a bit less relevant to what you may come to like over time. But just because you may not strive towards Rolexes as much as in previous times doesn’t mean you have to send a formal break up notice to Geneva. I doubt anyone would care to read it anyway.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 06:22 AM   #53
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member

Some collectors love to be brand centric while others just can’t stick to just one brand.
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 04:14 PM   #54
tom2517
"TRF" Member

I’m not ditching any brand for any brand.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 07:50 PM   #55
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Some Rolex owners also own a Patek. Most Patek owners also own a Rolex.
So true.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 10:49 PM   #56
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
I have never been married to any brand, so I haven’t ever had to ditch any either, but what I can say is this: If the traits that characterize a watch like a Patek/Vacheron/Lange/etc. become important to you, your interest in purchasing more industrial products, whether or not as great in quality as those made by Rolex, may diminish. The beauty of a well finished bridge, with delicate anglage and a sharpness informed by finesse rather than by harshness does make the efficient but basic finish of Submariner/GMT/DJ/etc., however historically significant, hyped, practical or otherwise cool these watches may be, a bit less relevant to what you may come to like over time. But just because you may not strive towards Rolexes as much as in previous times doesn’t mean you have to send a formal break up notice to Geneva. I doubt anyone would care to read it anyway.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 11:38 PM   #57
Plebs
"TRF" Member

Um, not sure if serious but you realize it’s similar when it comes to Patek also if not worse? I have heard some horror stories from a friend who worked at Patek lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 11:43 PM   #58
bob101
"TRF" Member

Prefer the recent Tudor releases to Rolex these days, don’t think the new line has the same charm and don’t miss selling on Daytona.. I do like the older sub line such as 5513 and 1680, more character and hard to beat for a sturdy reliable watch.
Aquanaut takes a fair beating and still looks great. I’d rather have that and a story to tell than all day in a safe and never worn, seems a real waste.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 04:24 PM   #59
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Quote:

Thank you for posting this. It provides information on relative size and clarity for each make and model. I have not seen an Aquanaut in 20 years and did not realize it is so big. This is very instructive.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 04:41 PM   #60
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
From one unobtainable brand to another?

Don’t think so.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote