The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 September 2020, 12:45 PM   #1
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

How accurate is our APs

I understand alot of people might not care about the accuracy of our APs however how would you feel if a watch that 3 times or 5 times less expensive and is much more accurate? I tested 5 APs all are less then 3 years old with one just added a month ago and all are running plus 8 seconds a day with a minor beat error. What you guys all think?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 01:15 PM   #2
fuigo
"TRF" Member

Personally I would like watches to be accurate, especially expensive ones. My logic is that the essence of a timepiece is to keep track of time. The more accurate you are, the more money you ask for.

Using hotels as an example... No matter how expensive or cheap a hotel is, it should (not all the time in reality, unfortunately) at the least provide its customers with a space of good hygiene, mattress and toilet, etc. These are the bare minimum for a hotel to be called a hotel. A hotel can be more expensive when it provides all that with extra service. A door man, a concierge, a better designed room, a better location, etc.

Similarly, a watch should keep good time. A more expensive watch should at least keep good time and offer more...

Just my 2 cents.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
fuigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 01:18 PM   #3
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuigo View Post
Personally I would like watches to be accurate, especially expensive ones. My logic is that the essence of a timepiece is to keep track of time. The more accurate you are, the more money you ask for.

Using hotels as an example... No matter how expensive or cheap a hotel is, it should (not all the time in reality, unfortunately) at the least provide its customers with a space of good hygiene, mattress and toilet, etc. These are the bare minimum for a hotel to be called a hotel. A hotel can be more expensive when it provides all that with extra service. A door man, a concierge, a better designed room, a better location, etc.

Similarly, a watch should keep good time. A more expensive watch should at least keep good time and offer more...

Just my 2 cents.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Great example! Is like buying a ferrari and when you got home and put it on a dyno and realized is only 200 horsepower. However they do look pretty.

Old 8 September 2020, 01:25 PM   #4
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
Great example! Is like buying a ferrari and when you got home and put it on a dyno and realized is only 200 horsepower. However they do look pretty.

Ha, guess that’s what a DB9 was like.

But seriously, more than 2 min change week would bother me, but the same time I’d never know because I’d already be wearing a new watch and the Original watch would have died already.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 01:27 PM   #5
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Ha, guess that’s what a DB9 was like.

But seriously, more than 2 min change week would bother me, but the same time I’d never know because I’d already be wearing a new watch and the Original watch would have died already.
That's funny, I guess that why Aston martin dont hold value. With how much we are paying is it too much to ask for these watches to run with in cosc?

Old 8 September 2020, 04:39 PM   #6
fuigo
"TRF" Member

How accurate is our APs

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
That's funny, I guess that why Aston martin dont hold value. With how much we are paying is it too much to ask for these watches to run with in cosc?

That’s why watches by MIDO, Ball and the likes are so fascinating. COSC certified, robust, serviceable... They are usually within or around 2k USD. Very reasonable. Very safe considering they’re less recognizable.

Of course you don’t get the brand recognition, hand finishing, etc., but you get an “accurate” watch that should in theory last as long as your AP’s and PP’s under normal usage.

I do realize that there are brands that promise better than COSC specification. They usually cost more, which is fine by me. IMHO, if you’re charging a lot for your watch, you should at least promise some standard of accuracy in time keeping.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Old 9 September 2020, 04:34 AM   #7
Xerxes77
Banned

My ROC 26331 work around +1 sec/day
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 05:18 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

My 3120 runs pretty tight to actual time.

The pay more = better timekeeping argument doesn’t really wash though as the most accurate clock I have comes for free on my iPhone.

So with internet based timekeeping as the benchmark, any and all watches will fall short, even quartz.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 07:02 AM   #9
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
My 15500OR runs pretty accurate about +/- 2 Sec/Day

My 15451ST runs faster about +8 Sec/Day

All my Rolex run +/- 2 Sec/Day
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 08:17 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Plus minus ten was the accepted variation when I first got into APs, not had any issues so far.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 09:17 AM   #11
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
It’s a hand finished and assembled haute horology piece. There is a chance that a Seiko automatic diver for 100 times less may be more accurate but full on accuracy is not really why you bought the AP.

Saying that, my 15500 runs consistent -3s/day. Anything +/- 10s/day would be acceptable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 10:13 AM   #12
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

My 15500 is excellent. I don’t measure it with anything fancy I just look at it bersus the cable box nightly and it’s spot on. Good enough for me
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 11:39 AM   #13
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Im probably going to get some hate for this. 0 sec per day 0 beat Error. Here's Grand seiko hi beat. Perfect.

Old 9 September 2020, 02:43 PM   #14
fuigo
"TRF" Member

I never meant accurate means expensive. I was making the point of you better be accurate when you are expensive. Very different logic. IMHO, a watch keeps time. If you want to charge more, you better be good at the fundamentals. Don’t just charge people for the materials or marketing language.

There are plenty of affordable and accurate mechanical and quartz watches. Someone even mentions the iPhone. I have a Citizen 0100 which is rated at +/-1 sec per YEAR and it’s way more 3x more than my Casio Oceanus. I’m ok with that because it does the job better.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Old 9 September 2020, 11:04 PM   #15
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuigo View Post
I never meant accurate means expensive. I was making the point of you better be accurate when you are expensive. Very different logic. IMHO, a watch keeps time. If you want to charge more, you better be good at the fundamentals. Don’t just charge people for the materials or marketing language.

There are plenty of affordable and accurate mechanical and quartz watches. Someone even mentions the iPhone. I have a Citizen 0100 which is rated at +/-1 sec per YEAR and it’s way more 3x more than my Casio Oceanus. I’m ok with that because it does the job better.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

I don’t think luxury watch brands or luxury watch buyers in general think high accuracy is that important. I love the +2-3s/day accuracy of my Omega, but I’m fine with my less accurate GS and AP. I don’t wear these watches every day, anyways, so have to set them when I do.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 04:48 AM   #16
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

I honestly can't say, as wearing them in rotation prevents me from suffering with any gains/losses. Sometimes, ignorance is a bliss.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 06:55 AM   #17
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
My 26331 runs about 5 seconds fast per day. Not as accurate as Rolex or PP, but fine with me. I'd rather have it run a little fast than be slow.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 02:25 AM   #18
eonflux
"TRF" Member

My Diver has gained 3 sec in total after ~4 wks (~ +0.1 sec/day).

That's obviously exceedingly good, but my GMTc gained 1 sec in total after 15 months. Was my only watch at that time so wore it everyday for that period.

My previous 44mm FC ROO was mostly +3-5 sec/day, but was erratic ranging from -1 to +10 sec per day. Use of the chrono seemed to contribute to inconsistency.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 02:33 AM   #19
AP15407st_patrick
"TRF" Member

just curious to know if any owner of a 15407 ever tried to find out how accurate his piece is working?
AP15407st_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 02:40 AM   #20
GrizzlyBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
My ROC 26331 work around +1 sec/day
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
My 26331 runs about 5 seconds fast per day. Not as accurate as Rolex or PP, but fine with me. I'd rather have it run a little fast than be slow.
Both have the same non in-house movement, but one runs an additional 4 secs faster per day. Any difference between how you guys lay down your 26331 when not wearing it?
GrizzlyBear is offline   Reply With Quote