The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 October 2020, 05:17 AM   #1
canadawatchguy
"TRF" Member

Patek newbie

Hello all - longtime lurker and this is one of my first posts, go easy on me!

Over the next year, I'm looking to purchase a dress watch for a wedding. The two that I'm most interested in are the Patek Calatrava 5196R and the Lange Saxonia Thin. For the purposes of this post, assume I like both the exact same amount.

The Calatrava is ~$10K CAD more expensive than the Lange. I would like to buy them at retail, at an AD, have my name on the papers, etc. given that it is a sentimental piece to me.

I'd also like to have an 5167A Aquanaut down the road, can be anytime in the next few years, not in a rush. Wanted to get people's opinions on if people think it's worthwhile to spend the extra ~$10K on the Calatrava vs. the Lange to potentially get the Aquanaut down the road, or if to go with the Lange and seek an aquanaut from the grey market later on.

Also, has anyone had any luck bundling the two together at the same time? Or perhaps getting on a "list" after a Calatrava and actually getting an aquanaut down the road? Or even getting a discount on a Calatrava.

Apologies if this has been asked before, appreciate the help!
canadawatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 05:23 AM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawatchguy View Post
Hello all - longtime lurker and this is one of my first posts, go easy on me!

Over the next year, I'm looking to purchase a dress watch for a wedding. The two that I'm most interested in are the Patek Calatrava 5196R and the Lange Saxonia Thin. For the purposes of this post, assume I like both the exact same amount.

The Calatrava is ~$10K CAD more expensive than the Lange. I would like to buy them at retail, at an AD, have my name on the papers, etc. given that it is a sentimental piece to me.

I'd also like to have an 5167A Aquanaut down the road, can be anytime in the next few years, not in a rush. Wanted to get people's opinions on if people think it's worthwhile to spend the extra ~$10K on the Calatrava vs. the Lange to potentially get the Aquanaut down the road, or if to go with the Lange and seek an aquanaut from the grey market later on.

Also, has anyone had any luck bundling the two together at the same time? Or perhaps getting on a "list" after a Calatrava and actually getting an aquanaut down the road? Or even getting a discount on a Calatrava.

Apologies if this has been asked before, appreciate the help!
buying a calatrava at retail through an AD won't get you anywhere near a 5167A, if you plan to buy significantly more watches (at least 100k or more) go and invest into a relationship. I'd save the 10k and spent it on a honeymoon or just save it for a 5167A that can be bought through a grey dealer - you should find one in the mid 30s.

I doubt you can bundle but never hurts to ask. Make sure you pick up both watches at the same time - plenty of people here including myself that got stuff promised and AD never delivered.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Vipes
"TRF" Member

If you like both equally then go for the PP. I prefer the PP5196 over the Lange Saxonia thin. You will establish a relationship with a PP Ad but it may not be enough to get a 5167.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 06:29 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Get what you really want, yet as you know the Aqua is out of the question at AD so plan accordingly for a non-AD sale.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:19 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Past war stories from others will not help you much as each Patek AD is different and times have changed a lot over just a few years. Some people still get lucky but each case is different and the vast majority are unlucky these days.

Just visit some AD(s) and tell them about the wedding, the 5196 and the 5167, and see what is possible for you at those ADs at this point in time. If outright bundling is not in the cards but they offer to put you on the list for the 5167, they should provide some idea how long it'll take and you will need to come to a view if you can trust them.

If nothing works the answer is Lange Saxonia Thin for 10k less provided you like it just as much as the 5196 and it'll be a keeper (such that you don't need to worry about the hit in the secondary market). That hit would likely be bigger in percent of MSRP for the Lange (and possibly also bigger in absolute dollar terms despite the Lange's lower MSRP).
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 07:42 AM   #6
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Normally my answer would be go for the Lange, nicer visible movement and better value for money (provided you plan to keep the watch and not sell used). However, the 5196 is such a nice classic Patek with lots of Patek DNA - and in your situation the closed case back might actually be an advantage since you could have it engraved to commemorate the wedding.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

go gray for the aquanaut. not worth hassle at AD unless you plan to drop so serious coin and buy watches you do or don’t want. i learned this and became content with the idea of paying a premium for aquanaut. like you i want one and plan on getting one within the coming months . good luck!
Old 7 October 2020, 11:52 AM   #8
taylorhall
"TRF" Member

Most bundling I’ve seen for a 5167 requires a watch in the 45K + category.

My 2 cents.
taylorhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 01:19 PM   #9
pb2au
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on day
If you are in toronto, the Patek A D does not carry Lange. Regardless, a Calatrava would not necessarily get you a 5167 in Toronto.

If you are looking for the aqua in short order, go grey as others have suggested.
pb2au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 04:21 PM   #10
chows99
"TRF" Member

Yup, just a 5196 may not be enough to get a 5167a. Even if you have clocked the spend, you need to wait for sometime.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 11:19 AM   #11
mzcloud
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270P
not sure if bundling is a good idea in Toronto
mzcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 10:16 PM   #12
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Agree with much of what has been said. Purchase of a 5196 will not get you the 5167.

However, and I think others will attest to this, demonstrating to your AD a genuine interest in watch collecting will go a long way. Business is business. And, first dibs will always go to the whales. But, at most reputable ADs, the staff want to sell pieces to collectors, not speculators. Demonstrate a genuine interest, cultivate that relationship, buy pieces you truly want and be patient. Good things will come.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote