The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 October 2020, 04:04 PM   #1
logo
"TRF" Member

AP 15500ST silver/white wait time

Hello all,

I’m toying with the idea of a Royal Oak 15500ST with the silver/white dial for a future purchase, also on my short list that it would be competing against for purchase is the Rolex YG blue dial submariner. I’ve been contemplating the two for a while, obviously very different styles, but I think one issue I haven’t figured out ithat will determine whether I consider the AP further I s how realistic would it be to get an AP RO within 2-3 years (in time for a personal milestone) without any AP purchase history - anyone have any general estimates for wait list times on this piece in the various dial colors (silver/white being my preference)? My AD does sell AP, but I’m hardly a big fish there - I would consider travelling to pick it up if need be. My daily is a TT DJ 41 FWIW, and I absolutely love it :).

Photos, commentary/opinions and suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 05:10 PM   #2
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I picked up a silver/white dial last week with no purchase history. I’d made enquiries with a boutique and got nowhere so had kind of given up. A member here gave me a name and a couple of calls later I’m getting progress.

Make calls (or better pop in to show intent if that’s possible) and show intent. If you feel you’re getting nowhere, try somewhere else.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 03:17 AM   #3
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I picked up a silver/white dial last week with no purchase history. I’d made enquiries with a boutique and got nowhere so had kind of given up. A member here gave me a name and a couple of calls later I’m getting progress.

Make calls (or better pop in to show intent if that’s possible) and show intent. If you feel you’re getting nowhere, try somewhere else.
Thanks, so from your experience, it sounds like picking up this reference in the non-blue dial configuration is potentially attainable within my time frame without a prior AP track record.

The AP is attractive to me - i like the dressy sport watch vibe, feel it fits in with my DJ, and both bands are awesome (AP RO and the DJ jubilee) to give the watch a bit of glitz and glam without being as bold as gold and blue (like the sub contender I’m also considering).
Old 8 October 2020, 06:27 AM   #4
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Thanks, so from your experience, it sounds like picking up this reference in the non-blue dial configuration is potentially attainable within my time frame without a prior AP track record.

The AP is attractive to me - i like the dressy sport watch vibe, feel it fits in with my DJ, and both bands are awesome (AP RO and the DJ jubilee) to give the watch a bit of glitz and glam without being as bold as gold and blue (like the sub contender I’m also considering).
Yes I think the blue is much harder to get, especially without history. That said some do get it from what I’ve heard.

What you will find with AP is the quality of the watch itself. It is incredible.
Old 8 October 2020, 07:13 AM   #5
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I think if you go to talk to SA at AP boutique would be more chance than regular AD. I have heard that many people here got a non-blue dial within a year wait.

Good luck!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Rockland
"TRF" Member

I requested a RO and waited 10 months for a call that the silver 15500 was available.
Rockland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 10:33 AM   #7
DMVRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP | Rolex
Go visit an AP boutique in person. I went to the one in NYC and got a black dial 15500 within 3 weeks. I know my luck is not going to be same for everyone but just sharing my experience
DMVRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 12:28 PM   #8
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I got on a list with an AP AD for an 15500 Grey last Dec with a $500 deposit and an assurance of 18 months or less. I called this spring and asked to switch to silver and moved over at the exact same place in line (5th at the time). I called the next day and asked to switch back to Grey but it's doable for sure. Had zero purchase history with this AD and didn't even live in the same state.
Old 9 October 2020, 08:46 AM   #9
logo
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. I’ll make a few calls and see what comes of it. Still 2-3 years out, so it’s good to know it should be possible.
Old 11 October 2020, 01:32 AM   #10
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texex View Post
I got on a list with an AP AD for an 15500 Grey last Dec with a $500 deposit and an assurance of 18 months or less. I called this spring and asked to switch to silver and moved over at the exact same place in line (5th at the time). I called the next day and asked to switch back to Grey but it's doable for sure. Had zero purchase history with this AD and didn't even live in the same state.

So you are still waiting?
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 02:46 AM   #11
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

When I replied to your post I didn’t notice that you were looking to get one in 2 or 3 years. Problem that you may have is the watch market could be totally different. Take Rolex, a couple of years back subs were easy to get, go back a couple of years more and hulks and blnr’s were easy to get. Now they are all hard to get. Same could happen here, who knows?

Maybe worth going on the list now or in the near future and seeing what happens. If it comes too soon, you can always decline it, or see if it’s doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Thanks everyone. I’ll make a few calls and see what comes of it. Still 2-3 years out, so it’s good to know it should be possible.
Old 11 October 2020, 05:14 AM   #12
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
So you are still waiting?

I am. Checked in last week and my SA says he guesses Q1 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 October 2020, 09:25 AM   #13
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Two months.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 09:49 AM   #14
Skull
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex
When do AP boutiques usually receive allocations for the year? Like when would they be receiving their allocations for 2021? Beginning of January, end of January..?
Skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 07:03 PM   #15
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I think they get their allocation in the beginning of the year, between the 2nd week of January to the 1st week of February. Approximately 3 black, 3 grey, 2 white and 1-2 blue. Approximately 10-12 pieces per year for 15500ST. 15407ST is 0-1 per year.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 12:46 AM   #16
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I think they get their allocation in the beginning of the year, between the 2nd week of January to the 1st week of February. Approximately 3 black, 3 grey, 2 white and 1-2 blue. Approximately 10-12 pieces per year for 15500ST. 15407ST is 0-1 per year.
I’ve no idea but that doesn’t seem a lot for a boutique - less than 1 a month. I got my white very quickly and I got the impression they’ve had a few this year.
Old 18 October 2020, 02:05 PM   #17
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve no idea but that doesn’t seem a lot for a boutique - less than 1 a month. I got my white very quickly and I got the impression they’ve had a few this year.
If I remember correctly did you get a referral from one of the TRF members here to the AP boutique? I’m sorry if I got it wrong.

I was looking to buy my AP last year around May/June but I was told they had allocated all their watches for the year and deposits have been made. They told me to contact them again next year (2020). I called them since Christmas 2019 to get myself an allocation but they were only able to get their allocations in February 2020 because the first week of January I think the factory is closed for the new year and the boutique was moving from one location to another in the last week of January. Got my white dial 15500ST in June 2020. Overall pleasant experience. Hoping to add a 15407ST in the future +/- 3 years but not going to buy a CODE just to get it... unless there’s one which really excites me.
Old 18 October 2020, 05:22 PM   #18
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
If I remember correctly did you get a referral from one of the TRF members here to the AP boutique? I’m sorry if I got it wrong.
Yes that’s correct, but that wasn’t the point I was making. I was saying that a dozen a year didn’t seem a lot for a boutique. I got the impression from the person I dealt with that they got more - they had a few white this year already. I may have misinterpreted what he said, but don’t think I did.
Old 18 October 2020, 07:02 PM   #19
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I think if you are purchasing in London, probably there’s more delivered there than in Kuala Lumpur? But at the same time the demand is probably greater in London than in Kuala Lumpur as well. I think it all works out to be about the same in terms of supply and demand. If there’s 10 people wanting the Royal Oak they will probably deliver 3. If there’s 50 they will deliver 15. I can’t speak for your region I’m afraid but I think we can agree that the RO is not exactly available in unlimited quantities
Old 18 October 2020, 07:06 PM   #20
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s entirely dependent on boutique location and supply/demand. That number seems reasonable for the KL boutique - in HK, AP House sells ~500 watches per year and I would venture to guess that NYC, Tokyo, Singapore etc would probably be in that ballpark as well (maybe more for NYC).

Numbers get smaller depending on location; there’s no hard and fast allocation and figures are constantly adjusted to calibrate supply with the demand pockets
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 09:08 PM   #21
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Remember too that AP House London is not just a boutique it is the head office and distribution point for the UK, thus other AD's and boutiques receive their allocations from AP House London. That said, the AD's in the UK are few and getting fewer and thus the allocation for the country and for AP House may very well be similar numbers.

Also, AP Boutiques, especially AP House's will try to 'find' an item from other boutiques to assist a customer, so just because they don't have an allocation for themselves (i.e. all sold out) it doesn't mean that they don't know where there is another one that has been allocated to a different boutique and thus 'trade' favours with that boutique to obtain the item needed.

Again though, in these scenarios the relationship that you have with your AD/boutique matters.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 11:06 PM   #22
just1time
"TRF" Member

Would love to add an AP to my collection. But here in Canada, Thats highly impossible given there is only one carrier of AP in the city and only 2 in the whole damn country. So you can imagine that every single piece that comes in is most likely going to their big spenders.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 01:34 AM   #23
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Yep all that makes sense - big learning curve with AP compared to other brands.
Old 21 October 2020, 02:13 AM   #24
doramas
Banned

He buys a 15500 and a steel Submariner. A white gold Submariner doesn't make any sense.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 06:56 AM   #25
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

I was at an AD yesterday and they had a white RO available that someone changed their mind on. I am looking for a ROC reverse panda so passed.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 06:59 AM   #26
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drunmond View Post
I was at an AD yesterday and they had a white RO available that someone changed their mind on. I am looking for a ROC reverse panda so passed.
This wasn’t the Dallas boutique, right?
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 07:10 AM   #27
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

No Houston.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 08:14 AM   #28
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Let the mad dash to H-town begin!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 04:59 PM   #29
gtrjohnny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
This wasn’t the Dallas boutique, right?
i was at the Dallas one on Monday. no RO but did try to sell me a code LOL
gtrjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 05:02 PM   #30
gtrjohnny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drunmond View Post
No Houston.
just contacted to see if they still have it. I am in the market for one and from Dallas.

Thanks for the heads up!
gtrjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote