The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 October 2020, 04:10 PM   #1
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Watch after life changing experience

On Monday of this week, I spent 8 hours in an operating room. Surgeons performed a complex valve repair operation on me. After finally re-starting my heart, things did not go so well. I spent an additional 20 hours on an aortic pump and a ventilator.

Today, just 3 days later, I walked out of the hospital, I’m walking around my house, and can take a shower and feed myself without any assistance.

Suddenly I have a completely different view of what my next watch is going to be. It’s not going to be a JLC Reverso, Cartier Santos, Rolex, Breitling, IWC, Omega or anything like that.

It’s going to be an Apple Watch 6 44mm. I can monitor my heart with this watch. It’s immediately going into my daily rotation along with my Submariner and Speedmaster.

I’ll eventually get another luxury watch at some point, but that could be years away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 04:11 PM   #2
snarkq
"TRF" Member

thanks for sharing your story. i think your story will become more common, as apple watch starts to introduce more features that can detect health conditions early, it will become required. for peace of mind, insurance rate reductions, etc.

wear in good health has a good ring to it here :)
snarkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 05:13 PM   #3
tanask211
"TRF" Member

Get well soon and speedy recovery!

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 06:38 PM   #4
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Great that you’re doing better, stay well and speedy recovery
Old 17 October 2020, 11:49 PM   #5
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 12:03 AM   #6
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

This is why I can't stand, or understand why people complain about total nonsense. Although I don't know you, GOD bless you and glad to hear you're alright. Stay healthy!

Joe
Old 18 October 2020, 12:12 AM   #7
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Best wishes for a continued recovery. You should definitely wear this. On the other wrist your Sub will pair with it well :)
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 12:29 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Good choice.
Old 18 October 2020, 12:43 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Glad you’re home and resting up. Nice choice
Old 18 October 2020, 12:52 AM   #10
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Glad to hear you were fixable! I think I would wear the Apple on my right wrist and something shiny on my left. Cheers to a speedy and full recovery!!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:40 AM   #11
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my subs
congratulations on getting out alive!
arguscanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 01:20 PM   #12
themast
"TRF" Member

Everybody need a tool watch!

Seriously, I am glad to hear that you are recovering well. Must not have been fun!
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 01:46 PM   #13
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

My dad left me an Oris watch. I'm not even sure of the model. It's a bit chunky and sort of too big for the dressy style it is, but I have always loved the watch. It was a bit big for its time, but it reminds me of my dad every time I put it on (he passed just over 2 years a good). Well, this weekend I went up North to a very rural part of Wisconsin for a fishing trip with my wife, my kids and my two friends from grammar school with their wives and kids. Took my oldest (he's 10) on the boat and then back to pier so the other kids and their wives could go on the boat. As my wife and I were trying to unsnag me from the hooks (they got caught on my gloves), my son fell off the pier and into the deep, cold water. He was drowning and I saw my life flash before my eyes. Needless to say, I jumped in, saved him and in the process almost lost my Oris that I was wearing. I must have hit the watch on the pier hard when I dove in, but when I came up with my son, the watch was dangling on my wrist still. A pin came out but somehow the watch stayed on. I told my wife that dad was looking out for me and my son today and he didn't want to take my son away so soon. Everyone is fine and I have a new found love for my Oris.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 03:13 PM   #14
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
hope you recover soon and get back into watch hobby
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 03:23 PM   #15
infinitywatches
Banned

Watch: Rolex 228238
I'm glad you're still with us buddy.
Please be safe.
infinitywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 08:04 PM   #16
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
My dad left me an Oris watch. I'm not even sure of the model. It's a bit chunky and sort of too big for the dressy style it is, but I have always loved the watch. It was a bit big for its time, but it reminds me of my dad every time I put it on (he passed just over 2 years a good). Well, this weekend I went up North to a very rural part of Wisconsin for a fishing trip with my wife, my kids and my two friends from grammar school with their wives and kids. Took my oldest (he's 10) on the boat and then back to pier so the other kids and their wives could go on the boat. As my wife and I were trying to unsnag me from the hooks (they got caught on my gloves), my son fell off the pier and into the deep, cold water. He was drowning and I saw my life flash before my eyes. Needless to say, I jumped in, saved him and in the process almost lost my Oris that I was wearing. I must have hit the watch on the pier hard when I dove in, but when I came up with my son, the watch was dangling on my wrist still. A pin came out but somehow the watch stayed on. I told my wife that dad was looking out for me and my son today and he didn't want to take my son away so soon. Everyone is fine and I have a new found love for my Oris.
Nice , Im blessed to have inherited my father's few watches and usually wear them when I miss him.

X

OP get well soon and there are many fitness watches that can monitor heart rate and oxygen levels , which you could wear on your other wrist and continue wearing watches you like aswell.
Old 19 October 2020, 09:07 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Glad you made it through this ordeal. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:15 PM   #18
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, glad you’re here and starting this thread.

I don’t know enough about what the Apple Watch provides in terms of monitoring (I know it has HR and some more recent health related upgrades) but it sounds like a must do from what you say. I’d vote for double wristing, don’t lose the enjoyment of the mechanical pieces.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:36 AM   #19
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
On Monday of this week, I spent 8 hours in an operating room. Surgeons performed a complex valve repair operation on me. After finally re-starting my heart, things did not go so well. I spent an additional 20 hours on an aortic pump and a ventilator.

Today, just 3 days later, I walked out of the hospital, I’m walking around my house, and can take a shower and feed myself without any assistance.

Suddenly I have a completely different view of what my next watch is going to be. It’s not going to be a JLC Reverso, Cartier Santos, Rolex, Breitling, IWC, Omega or anything like that.

It’s going to be an Apple Watch 6 44mm. I can monitor my heart with this watch. It’s immediately going into my daily rotation along with my Submariner and Speedmaster.

I’ll eventually get another luxury watch at some point, but that could be years away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First off, I note your now-ironic username :)

Secondly. Sometimes life has ways of reminding us just how much we have fake-ified reality, with all our luxuries, comfort, and problems of convenience. In reality...as our historical figure Lenin reminds us...we are three meals away from anarchy. Or one virus away from social upheaval.

Good to be reminded what’s real and what’s not. Hopefully we make it through that tunnel and our choices going forward are increasingly shaped by gravitas and humility, and less shaped by selfishness and frivolity.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:51 AM   #20
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
I hope you make a fully and speedy recovery. I think your situation warrants you wearing the apple watch on one wrist and your sub or speedy on the other.
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 02:20 AM   #21
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
So glad to hear you’re doing better!
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 03:00 AM   #22
JCC296
2024 Pledge Member

Glad you are still here and wish you a speedy recovery. You can always have the Apple Watch on one wrist and a Speedy on the other
JCC296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:19 AM   #23
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Stay healthy. I say get the watch that keeps your happy and keeps your healthy. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 06:27 AM   #24
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

I’m very anti Apple Watch for day to day but I think your particular situation is where it’s inarguably the tool you need. Perspective

Wishing you a speedy and lasting recovery!
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 07:10 AM   #25
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Glad to hear you're on the mend. Continue with your recuperation. May you get stronger daily. Your health is your wealth. Enjoy using your new Apple watch. Best of luck with everything.
Old 20 October 2020, 08:02 AM   #26
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I honestly think an Apple Watch is the new tool watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 10:34 AM   #27
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Glad you're okay. Having that on your wrist a lot of the time is probably a good idea.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 02:38 PM   #28
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I recommend wearing it on your other wrist, and continuing to wear the watch that gives you the greatest joy on your main watch wrist.

That's what I do.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote