The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2020, 01:13 AM   #1
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Wanting to get my first PP....... thought it would be easier!

Hello great TRF friends

I’m lucky/blessed to have a great Rolex/AP/GS collection
I have zero relationship with PP and really want to get started with PP

I want an annual calendar model and am starting to obsess about the 5905p blue dial
My questions are:
How easy is it to get and Is that model good enough to establish a relationship
I might get a very small discount from the AD vs going grey and get a bigger discount but not make AD relationship
Finally, I never buy my watches for investment but hate to have its value to go down significantly so how good is the 5905p keeping its value?

Sorry for all the questions but any help is appreciated!
Old 18 October 2020, 01:17 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I would recommend you compare the new watch price with pre-owned prices for the 5905P. My guess is about a 25% difference.

Most watches that are not an Aquanaut or a Nautilus will have a decent delta between the new and pre-owned prices.

You can always ask for a discount from an AD. It depends on the AD, where they are located and their inventory levels.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 01:42 AM   #3
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Patek are about Grand Complications and the Calatrava Bauhaus school of simplicity hiding behind deceptively simple watch faces. Try looking at a 5320G which is unobtrusive and hides its complexity. The 5905 is not a stand out PP and could be a jaeger lecoultre....
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:18 AM   #4
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
If the 5905P is what sings to you, go for it! I would try to have an open conversation with your AD about whether buying a 5905P might pave the way to obtaining e.g. a Nautilus or Aquanaut. This might be better value than getting a smaller discount on the 5905P. What's possible depends on AD and location. Just be careful of empty promises or endless waitlists, some ADs are more trustworthy than others.

Alternative is to go grey and pocket a sizeable saving right away. This might be the best route if having your name on the certificate and AD relationship is less important / valuable to you.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:28 AM   #5
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately the AD is not very direct and won’t commit either way
I even told him to tell me what it takes to build that relationship like I did with the rolex AD and his answer was “we don’t bundle”!!
I reached out to other Patek ADs and while I want to build a relationship I don’t want just to buy anything........... pathetic that buying a luxury watch is a game now!!
Old 18 October 2020, 11:00 AM   #6
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

yeah pretty much. my advice is if you want an aquanaut or nautilus, go gray. i’m doing that for aquanaut. good luck.
Old 18 October 2020, 12:02 PM   #7
Pateks
Banned

5905 is not a difficult piece to get. I’ve owned mine for several years and am actually putting it up for sale in the near future to make room for another piece that’s coming next year. You should be able to find one with an AD of get one after a short wait. Talk to several ads if you have to. It’s an amazing piece that feels great on the wrist.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:40 PM   #8
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
If you have anything else on your radar, developing a relationship could be advantageous. If not and you're value conscience I would buy grey.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 06:40 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Patek are about Grand Complications and the Calatrava Bauhaus school of simplicity hiding behind deceptively simple watch faces. Try looking at a 5320G which is unobtrusive and hides its complexity. The 5905 is not a stand out PP and could be a jaeger lecoultre....
Agree. The 5905 is one chunky watch at nearly 15mm thick. While it is probably my favorite Patek AC(C) it still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of design, refinement, and size in my eyes. I'd much rather stay basic Calatrava or go PC (or PCC).
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 09:02 AM   #10
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member

The 5905p blue dial is such a beautiful timepiece and it doesn’t wear like a big wristwatch due to the design of the bezel, I would highly recommend it! Try it first and I would also suggest 5172g.. its always nice to have a good relationship with your local AD. Since its not a sports watch and not steel it will definitely lose value but could be easily traded with another patek later on if u decided not to change.
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 03:34 AM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I can see the 5905 appealing to people who are used to larger Rolex or AP watches. For a Patek, it is a fairly large and thick watch. However it has a beautiful dial.

It is difficult for someone new to Patek to develop an AD relationship, unless there was a pre-existing relationship with Rolex or AP purchases. The question gets asked here frequently, but past Rolex purchases do not always give one an advantage when switching to Patek.

All the recent hype here is to get the "hot" SS Aquanaut and Nautilus. But long-term collectors focus less on what is the latest "hot" watch you can buy. Rather the question becomes what is special about a specific watch and how does it appeal to the watch collector?

Best of luck in your decision! Ask yourself, what would you like in your Patek collection in 5 years? Will you still own a Patek in 5 years or will you be one of the many people who will move on after the hype has died down? Or perhaps you will have accumulated a nice collection of 5 or even 10 Pateks in that time period.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:29 PM   #12
martinr
"TRF" Member

It’s a nice watch. I wore my 5905P black dial practically every day for a year and a half. It wears about the same as a Rolex sub in terms of size. You’ll almost never use the chrono. $62,000 from an AD or you’ll lose your ass when you sell it and you will sell it. Do you love watches?
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 01:48 PM   #13
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
I have very small wrists and tried on a 5905 recently. Honestly, it is thick for a Patek when measured up, but still somehow sits slim and elegantly on the wrist. I’d say it wears better than some sport Rolex models. Definitely give it a try. Patek is known for slim, elegant cases. Even their 42mm models wear smaller than its true size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 01:56 PM   #14
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

You guys have great points. I tried on the 5905 and it’s a beautiful watch but not as dressy as I thought/hoped for. I love the annual calendar and will probably add one in the future but for now I might reshuffle my deck and consider a calatrava for the dressy look. With 7.6” wrist, it wears a little on the small side though