The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 3 April 2020, 06:21 AM   #4891
Brew
"TRF" Member

Allen Edmonds is making masks instead of shoes.
Old 3 April 2020, 06:26 AM   #4892
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The fact they lied to all the sheep about masks for the last month is ridiculous. The N95s I bought like 3 weeks ago for 5 a piece are now selling for 30 a pop. Wife won’t let me flip lol
Old 3 April 2020, 06:36 AM   #4893
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

We need to wear masks as it will slow down the infection rate. Problem is, hospitals have a hard enough problem getting their hands on masks. So how you get these into the hands of the public will be a daunting task.

The link below, for those interested gives projections (Much like a hurricane cone) for hospital beds / ventilators, daily death rates and total deaths. The projection runs through August. Very sobering...

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
Old 3 April 2020, 06:43 AM   #4894
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I edited my post - thanks for pointing out the broken link!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/asia/...hnk/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The link you posted isn’t working but I’m guessing you may have meant the White House may ask or require Americans to wear masks when outdoors. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=69914514

I think until we know who was asymptomatic or mildly infected, and has recovered successfully, the idea of simple masks makes sense.

Good on BB for doing their part - I had not heard that. But as you know they are in a tiny minority of brands who still make clothing in the US.

The NE Pats just flew in 1 million N95’s from China in their team plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3 April 2020, 06:57 AM   #4895
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I edited my post - thanks for pointing out the broken link!

That is a story I think all well-informed people knew was common practice in the Orient.

While I understand some will point out that basic ones don’t filter as well as N95, I think the basic ones do well at blocking people sneezing/coughing.

FWIW, IF I had any N95’s I’d be driving them over to the nearby hospital or my doctor’s office. They need them more than I.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 3 April 2020, 07:53 AM   #4896
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
The link you posted isn’t working but I’m guessing you may have meant the White House may ask or require Americans to wear masks when outdoors. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=69914514

I think until we know who was asymptomatic or mildly infected, and has recovered successfully, the idea of simple masks makes sense.

Good on BB for doing their part - I had not heard that. But as you know they are in a tiny minority of brands who still make clothing in the US.

The NE Pats just flew in 1 million N95’s from China in their team plane.

New Balance is making masks also.

Stay safe.
Old 3 April 2020, 08:25 AM   #4897
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

That is a story I think all well-informed people knew was common practice in the Orient.

While I understand some will point out that basic ones don’t filter as well as N95, I think the basic ones do well at blocking people sneezing/coughing.

FWIW, IF I had any N95’s I’d be driving them over to the nearby hospital or my doctor’s office. They need them more than I.

Since I’m in the business, I wonder how many people even know what the N95 means. And if so, why does everyone want N95 instead of N99, as we wear in surgery.
Old 3 April 2020, 08:28 AM   #4898
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Since I’m in the business, I wonder how many people even know what the N95 means. And if so, why does everyone want N95 instead of N99, as we wear in surgery.

I think there’s some lack of understanding - and that many trades were using N95 for General dust control because they were cheaper.

So more demand perhaps for the N95 just due to inertia.

Old 3 April 2020, 08:37 AM   #4899
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
N99 are much harder to breathe through than N95. Most people would take it off after a few minutes as they would find it uncomfortable, especially if they have compromised lungs.

If anyone wants to learn more than they need to about masks....here you go.

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-...009/10/14/n95/

Standard surgical masks are good for capturing exhalation particles...which is the risk in surgery is infecting the space with what is coming out of you...not so much what is coming into you...that is because the theater is already sterile and everybody is wearing masks in the theater.

Now, we have have almost nobody in US wearing masks, so the N95 would be good at first (if you have one) as you need to worry about blocking all the nasty exhaled virus floating around from the unmasked masses. Hospitals do need this very badly (N95 or better) as their unsterile emergency theaters are full of virus.

As time goes by and more people wear basic masks, there will be a herd reduction of expelled virus load as the masks will trap most of it upon exhalation...that will reduce the need for 95% masks as there will be much less virus floating around. Think of it like a C Converter on car exhaust.

The mask narrative previously promoted by western countries and WHO was criminally negligent. Masking faceholes with something (anything breathable at this point) is really our only way to get out this in an expedient fashion. This was clear to me from day 1 of this. Crystal clear. Like a Diamond Bullet.

Good luck getting compliance now since 3 months was spent telling people not to wear masks...
Old 3 April 2020, 08:41 AM   #4900
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
N99 are much harder to breathe through than N95. Most people would take it off after a few minutes as they would find it uncomfortable, especially if they have compromised lungs.
The N95s are uncomfortable in their own right. Have so much respect for the doctors and nurses working long shifts wearing one of those right now. Has to be hell.
Old 3 April 2020, 09:01 AM   #4901
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

More on masks.

3m and others are cranking them out....but where are they?

Oh, well most manufacturers don't sell directly to hospitals, they have distributors to handle all the sales BS to the individual entities.

So what are some of the distributors doing?

Marking them up big time and offering them up to whomever they think will pay up for them...like Mark Cuban??

https://www.businessinsider.com/mark...e-masks-2020-3

Good on Mark for exposing this BS. Can't say I'm surprised.

So, masks are getting out of the factory, but getting stalled in the distribution channel by greedy price gougers.

So, unfortunately there will have to be immediate government intervention in the market to clean this up...
Old 3 April 2020, 09:06 AM   #4902
chappuy1750

Watch: JLC
Mask production is at capacity.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/3m-ceo-...ty-11585842928
Attached Images
File Type: jpg masks.JPG (43.7 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by chappuy1750; 3 April 2020 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Update with graphic.
Old 3 April 2020, 09:07 AM   #4903
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Needs to be a national defense directive to all consumer apparel companies to make masks. Brooks Brothers has done this already.

Government issued masks at cost ($1 or less) at Wal-mart/CVS/Target parking lots each week with the presentation of a valid driver's license.

Significant penalties for non-mask wear outside home ($5000 fine) enforced by national guard and local police. Same thing with employers.

This isn't different from what is happening in China/Taiwan etc.

Writing last month, Adrien Burch, an expert in microbiology at the University of California, Berkeley, noted that "despite hearing that face masks 'don't work,' you probably haven't seen any strong evidence to support that claim. That's because it doesn't exist."
In fact, there is evidence of the exact opposite: that masks help prevent viral infections like the current pandemic.
Burch pointed to a Cochrane Review -- a systemic analysis of published studies on a given topic -- which found strong evidence during the 2003 SARS epidemic in support of wearing masks. One study of community transmission in Beijing found that "consistently wearing a mask in public was associated with a 70% reduction in the risk of catching SARS."

Simple math. You wear a mask, I wear a mask. My probability of getting infected is reduced by 1 - (0.3 X 0.3) = 91%

Go back to work in May with protection. Isolate the old and immuno-compromised. Be like Japan (world's largest aging population but low deaths/infection) - be a ninja. Even better, be a Fatninja
Fleetlord Approved!
Old 3 April 2020, 09:10 AM   #4904
chappuy1750

Watch: JLC
Some more encouraging news.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/coronavi...inical-trials/
Old 3 April 2020, 09:18 AM   #4905
benvh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
More on masks.

3m and others are cranking them out....but where are they?

Oh, well most manufacturers don't sell directly to hospitals, they have distributors to handle all the sales BS to the individual entities.

So what are some of the distributors doing?

Marking them up big time and offering them up to whomever they think will pay up for them...like Mark Cuban??

https://www.businessinsider.com/mark...e-masks-2020-3

Good on Mark for exposing this BS. Can't say I'm surprised.

So, masks are getting out of the factory, but getting stalled in the distribution channel by greedy price gougers.

So, unfortunately there will have to be immediate government intervention in the market to clean this up...
Well this seems to be a big part of the problem:

"By the end of the day, roughly 280 million masks from warehouses around the U.S. had been purchased by foreign buyers and were earmarked to leave the country, according to the broker — and that was in one day."

Link

Ben
Old 3 April 2020, 09:33 AM   #4906
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Los Angeles Major is now asking all citizens to cover their face with bandanas when they leave home. Leave the surgical masks and N95 to the professionals but still wear protection.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ssential-tasks
Old 3 April 2020, 09:37 AM   #4907
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The fact they lied to all the sheep about masks for the last month is ridiculous. The N95s I bought like 3 weeks ago for 5 a piece are now selling for 30 a pop. Wife won’t let me flip lol
Good thing you don’t. Listen to your wife. Karma will prevail in the end for those bastards. That is very sickening. All these people who are taking advantage of those in serious need in grave circumstances at a time in such calamity for the likes we have never seen. It could be you and or someone you love who is in dire need.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 3 April 2020, 09:38 AM   #4908
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
Quote:

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 3 April 2020, 09:41 AM   #4909
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappuy1750 View Post
And some desperately needed news ...
Article worth reading in it’s entirety.

https://www.knowingthetruth.com/5g-w...ction-exposed/
Old 3 April 2020, 09:53 AM   #4910
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappuy1750 View Post
The work being done in Pittsburgh is exciting. It is a micro needle vaccine. There are several variations on the micro needle delivery systems, but most simply put, a patch covered with tiny, vaccine-impregnated needles is placed on the skin. In some cases the needles dissolve after they penetrate the skin, in others they just penetrate the very surface layers of the skin and the vaccine is absorbed transdermally. The micro needle patch functions like a patch used to deliver fentanyl, hormones or nitro through the skin.
Old 3 April 2020, 10:10 AM   #4911
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Masks - sorry for bringing up a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam. What kind of protection does a standard surgical mask/home-made mask (made out of thick cotton fabric) provide? Are these less for personal protection and more of a courtesy to others? I recall hearing the Cornell physician (from a video shared multiple times in this thread) that they are actually only using the N95 masks for specific things related to the treatment of COVID patients (perhaps that was due to resource-saving/shortage though).

I am asking because my fiance has been going crazy at home cranking out home-made masks (made with thick cotton) that she is donating. Knitting/crocheting/sewing is one of her big hobbies. Most of the stuff she's been doing this year on that front has actually been aid-related/donations. Prior to making masks she was making a ton things for animals in Australia due to the fires (a lot of poaches for kangaroos, koalas, and of course, bats).
Old 3 April 2020, 10:20 AM   #4912
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

It is true that outside of N95, you don't have complete protection and the science is lacking.

However consider 2 things that seem to have been discovered:
1) Like other Viruses, the EXTENT of exposure can also be a factor in how severe the symptoms are. Just like a vaccine can contain micro-level doses of the virus to create natural immunity.

2) Ballistics of a cough and a sneeze.

Now read this opinion piece. Look at the data in Asia.

Do you need a full blown scientific study done before we realize that some protection is better than none?

In war time in ancient times, the peasants without body armor would fashion their own armor out of scraps of cloth and leather. Leave the full suits of steel armor (N95 and surgical) for the professionals/knights! Let us peasants bandana up!

https://medium.com/@Cancerwarrior/co...17JKpjV8Z0GL8w
Old 3 April 2020, 10:25 AM   #4913
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
NYC provides some good data on age/sex/underlying conditions in relation to the deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 April 2020, 10:26 AM   #4914
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post

Pure hokum imho.

7 year study with science behind it disproves that Internet conspiracy theory.

https://www.icnirp.org/en/activities...published.html

Old 3 April 2020, 10:28 AM   #4915
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Pure hokum imho.

7 year study with science behind it disproves that Internet conspiracy theory.

We all have a free will to choose what we believe .
That’s the beauty of free will ... so far.
Let’s hope and pray it remains so .

I’ll say this. Look at all the hotspots ... No correlation
What so ever?
Old 3 April 2020, 10:33 AM   #4916
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Here's some science for you.

No Mask:
1) Someone sneezes next to you with COVID-19. You have no mask. Snot flies into your face, eyes and all over your face. We know that 25% of COVID people are asymptomatic so maybe you won't even know.

2) Someone talks loudly and angrily next to you, with airborne particles of COVID-19.

With Mask or Bandana
1) Someone sneezes next to you with COVID-19. He/she is wearing a mask. Snot flies internally. You with your own mask next to him, distance yourself immediately. 2 layers of cloth helps huh?

2) Someone talks loudly and angrily next to you, with airborne particles of COVID-19. Most of the particles stay within the mask. You with your own mask next to him/her distance yourself immediately. 2 layers of cloth helps huh?
Old 3 April 2020, 10:37 AM   #4917
77T

Quote:
We all have a free will to choose what we believe .

That’s the beauty of free will ... so far.

Let’s hope and pray it remains so .

I’ll say this. Look at all the hotspots ... No correlation

What so ever?

Absolutely you can believe what you want.

You can say a red stop sign is green. But that won’t change the fact it is red.

But posting unfounded items like that on TRF is unhelpful - that’s my opinion.

Old 3 April 2020, 10:57 AM   #4918
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely you can believe what you want.

You can say a red stop sign is green. But that won’t change the fact it is red.

But posting unfounded items like that on TRF is unhelpful - that’s my opinion.

Ok... unfounded by who ?
Reading the entire article only proves what is happening,
whether we chose to say it's green or red or
choose your color...

You can have multiple people calling their findings facts,
who do believe ? Science claims all the time some of
their theories are facts with no proof what so ever .
I think it's unfair to say I'm posting unfounded items when
you haven't posted anything that states otherwise.
All I'm doing is posting some information other members
might find helpful or useful... The media won't tell you
the truth that's for sure...

Please pardon my attempt to shed some light in some dark alleys...
Old 3 April 2020, 11:43 AM   #4919
77T

Quote:
Ok... unfounded by who ?
Reading the entire article only proves what is happening,
whether we chose to say it's green or red or
choose your color...

You can have multiple people calling their findings facts,
who do believe ? Science claims all the time some of
their theories are facts with no proof what so ever .
I think it's unfair to say I'm posting unfounded items when
you haven't posted anything that states otherwise.
All I'm doing is posting some information other members
might find helpful or useful... The media won't tell you
the truth that's for sure...

Please pardon my attempt to shed some light in some dark alleys...

ok

Old 3 April 2020, 12:32 PM   #4920
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So did 4g and 3g testing cause previous coronavirus outbreaks?

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
Closed Thread