The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2022, 08:25 PM   #1
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

How difficult it is to get an enamel dial WT - 5231G?

As per the captioned, how difficult it is to get this amazing timepiece, compare with, eg Nautilu? Is that only VVVIP with significant purchase history?
I am particularly interested in collecting WT modules this one is really stunning. I know it is a very sought after though.
Thanks
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 08:26 PM   #2
Danpd
"TRF" Member

Harder than a Nautilus
Danpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 09:10 PM   #3
JC180
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, BLRO, LV, SD
Impossible, the waiting list is rolled forward from multiple previous model cycles.
Old 24 October 2022, 09:53 PM   #4
pam66
"TRF" Member

i have a 5231J but i'd rather have another nautilus
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 10:42 PM   #5
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies. Very much appreciated. What a shame. It is really a stunning one. Nearly x2 the secondary market price now..... :(
Old 24 October 2022, 11:05 PM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Long before the Nautilus and Aquanaut prices soared in the secondary market, the enamel dial WTs had long waitlists. These watches are limited by the artisans who paint the enamel dials, whereas technically Patek can produce as many Nautilus and Aquanauts as they want.

You may be able to establish a relationship with a small AD and after a few Patek purchases may be able to get on a wait-list for an enamel dial WT. However since Patek only makes a few and smaller ADs may only receive one every couple of years, it will be a wait. However it is possible with a few Patek purchases and a long wait if you find the right AD.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 11:19 PM   #7
byow
"TRF" Member

Given the fact that it is so difficult to obtain, it is even surprising that it is "only" x2 MSRP.

The lists are different from those for an Aquanaut for example.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 10:05 PM   #8
DK7
"TRF" Member

Is there more experience with receiving or refusing when trying to get a 5231g through your AD?
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 10:11 PM   #9
bogdoc
"TRF" Member

I was told that it is an application piece and I will at least need to buy a perpetual calendar before applying for it. I’m working on it.
bogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 12:05 AM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
It's Impossible to get with a capital I. I think I'm more likely to see a unicorn riding a rainbow than receiving a call from the AD at this point.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 01:47 AM   #11
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
If you really want it, best to just buy secondary. You will be spending and waiting a very long time to get one from an AD.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:26 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Most people who have received an enamel dial WT (5131 or 5231) have a decent Patek collection, which they have acquired over time. It will be very unusual for an AD to allocate a 5231 to someone new unless it is being bundled with several other watches and even this would only happen in certain parts of the world.

Sometimes it involves some luck too. I received my first enamel dial WT a year after having completed a Patek factory tour. Not sure if it helped, but typically once you have been on a factory tour, Patek has vetted you out and know your background well enough to be confident you are not a flipper and are serious about collecting Patek watches.
Old 29 November 2022, 06:24 PM   #13
capjand1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5905R
Actually less competition than Nautilus, but WT enamel are very limited especially 5231G.
capjand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:59 PM   #14
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Guess it is more practical to get it in secondary market. I am not rich enough to buy bunch of PP to get this, although I like it very much.
Old 30 November 2022, 02:25 AM   #15
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have a 5131, it's quite nice...but honestly I never wear it...it's more of an art piece...
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:49 AM   #16
AHG
"TRF" Member

Just a question in regards to the application since it seems like it's decided by Patek rather than the AD, if I'm understanding correctly. Does a vintage purchase count the same way a new purchase does, assuming it's registered with Patek. In many ways (I know I'm generalizing and there are many exceptions), the buyer for the enamel WT may differ from the Nautilus buyer. He may appreciate more traditional styles and own vintage pieces that obviously didn't benefit the bottom end for the AD.
AHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 01:13 AM   #17
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
Just a question in regards to the application since it seems like it's decided by Patek rather than the AD, if I'm understanding correctly. Does a vintage purchase count the same way a new purchase does, assuming it's registered with Patek. In many ways (I know I'm generalizing and there are many exceptions), the buyer for the enamel WT may differ from the Nautilus buyer. He may appreciate more traditional styles and own vintage pieces that obviously didn't benefit the bottom end for the AD.
There has been different information about who ultimately decides on allocating the enamel dial WT to the client. The process may be different in the EU vs North America vs Asia vs Middle East.

Generally for an "application" piece, an AD will submit a client's name, some personal info and list of currently owned Patek watches to either Geneva or to the regional Patek HQ (e.g. HSWA in NYC for US clients). Then if the application is approved, it will be a waiting game as to when the AD will receive the watch.

I believe they will consider your entire Patek collection and not just the recent purchases from the AD, as long as you register your watches with Patek and you are still listed as the current owner.
Old 14 December 2022, 12:27 AM   #18
DK7
"TRF" Member

piece of art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2354.JPG (276.0 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2353.JPG (254.0 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2357.JPG (253.9 KB, 339 views)
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 08:44 AM   #19
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Just buy secondary. There were a few at last weekends Phillips auction and they sold in the mid 90s which is basically MSRP + tax.

The 5131 sold for 107, albeit one from 2011. If I really wanted one, I’d cough over an extra 10-15k and buy grey or wait for one to come to auction, which they regularly do.

I would also be very hesitant with taking 2x MSRP at face value. Those are asking prices and I am fairly certain (having seen a couple move far below that in private groups) that those prices are not even remotely close to what they sell for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 12:24 PM   #20
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
If you really want it, best to just buy secondary. You will be spending and waiting a very long time to get one from an AD.
+1 It is impossible.

The other day at Patek, I saw a 5531R. The enamel is even more amazing (hard to say why because I could not compare side by side.).

If you love that art, I would also advice you to check other brands like VC or JLC which have nice onces and are "easier" to get (secondary market).

One of the last auction in HK had many PP, JLC, etc enamel watches: https://www.christies.com/en/auction...88/browse-lots

In Geneva I could "inspect" with a magnifier that Calatrava. In person, it is very impressive (my wife hated it): https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...print-in-blues
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 12:28 PM   #21
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i have a 5231J but i'd rather have another nautilus
Why? :)
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote