The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 June 2022, 12:41 PM   #1
mdl25
Banned

Salmon 5172 Production

Anyone have info here? Traditionally, the blue 5172 wasn’t super hard to get and sold below retail. Secondary prices for the salmon are ridiculous right now, which I assumed was a “new hotness” spike. Will this be less available than the blue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mdl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 01:31 PM   #2
DonLee
"TRF" Member

there will always be people who don't mind paying more for getting the watch earlier. That's how it always is for new Patek new releases.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 01:46 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Nobody knows the production number except Patek. The grey pricing will always be high initially due to the novelty factor and limited supply (since it has just been launched recently). According to my AD, the Salmon version has a long interest list and they will allocate to existing clients first. They probably only receive 1 piece each store per year so that's the situation.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 03:06 PM   #4
mdl25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Nobody knows the production number except Patek. The grey pricing will always be high initially due to the novelty factor and limited supply (since it has just been launched recently). According to my AD, the Salmon version has a long interest list and they will allocate to existing clients first. They probably only receive 1 piece each store per year so that's the situation.

Makes sense. One per store is the info I was looking for. My sense is that stores got more than one blue a year, perhaps that’s wrong.

I’m on the interest list! I think it’s going to be a classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 June 2022, 06:28 PM   #5
Andy Mcpandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP5726, PP5524r
With the Salmon 5172 now in production, I suspect less 5172 blue will be made and therefore the blue could be the sleeper over the next few years as production numbers reduce.
Andy Mcpandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 06:46 PM   #6
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mcpandy View Post
With the Salmon 5172 now in production, I suspect less 5172 blue will be made and therefore the blue could be the sleeper over the next few years as production numbers reduce.
My AD said they won't likely recieve any more blue ones.

That being said, I don't really like the pushers for the 5172. they stick out like a sore thumb and the 5170 was much nicer.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 12:00 AM   #7
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl25 View Post
Anyone have info here? Traditionally, the blue 5172 wasn’t super hard to get and sold below retail. Secondary prices for the salmon are ridiculous right now, which I assumed was a “new hotness” spike. Will this be less available than the blue?
In fact the blue 5172 was introduced before the big 2020/2021 demand rise. Like many other models, they were quite largely available before that period. They became unavailable as all the hot models were sold (Nautilus, Aquanauts...) only since 2021.

The salmon 5172 is rare because new in 2022 and because launched at a period when the production didn't yet catch-up with the demand (their production has decreased in 2020 and they tried to come back to a normal output in 2021).

There might be a slow down but the a part of these new clients may also stay on the long run.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 01:38 AM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Makes sense. One per store is the info I was looking for. My sense is that stores got more than one blue a year, perhaps that’s wrong.

I’m on the interest list! I think it’s going to be a classic.
Good luck! I think this piece is obtainable from AD with a short wait.

I just took a quick glance in C24 of the other 2022 releases like 5226 and 5326. They are all listed at multiple times. There is a 5326G listed at 4x MSRP which just got reserved. Obviously we don't know what's the traded price but anywhere remotely near 4x is mindblowing.

The 5172G is listed at a more "sane" price comparatively.
Old 4 June 2022, 01:39 AM   #9
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Btw the 5226 is about 3x. Of course the list price in C24 is inflated but it should not be a million miles off too.
Old 4 June 2022, 10:51 AM   #10
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I’m an NYC customer and it took me about a year to receive a blue 5172. My AD indicated that they just don’t receive that many, so there was a bit of a wait. They expect maybe one or two more this year.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 05:13 PM   #11
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Btw the 5226 is about 3x. Of course the list price in C24 is inflated but it should not be a million miles off too.
It’s a million miles off. Granted 5226/5326 are so new that data points are scarce, but with any model just take a look what dealers are selling to each other for in auction posts on Moda Watch group. The difference between those genuine price discoveries and whatever C24 was smoking with their price estimates is sometimes 40-50%+.

Rolex lefties were actually selling for $55K+ when they started trickling in in early May. Now they’ve already went below $40K. In a matter of weeks.

Just to illustrate how off C24 is, the C24 price estimate on my 5990/1A is somehow $280K even though there are half a dozen 5990/2A listed on C24 currently at under $180k.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 05:25 PM   #12
GMT_lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good luck! I think this piece is obtainable from AD with a short wait.

I just took a quick glance in C24 of the other 2022 releases like 5226 and 5326. They are all listed at multiple times. There is a 5326G listed at 4x MSRP which just got reserved. Obviously we don't know what's the traded price but anywhere remotely near 4x is mindblowing.

The 5172G is listed at a more "sane" price comparatively.
My AD had a 5226 today when I was there. They told me there are not getting a 5326 this calendar year. No word on 5172.
GMT_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2022, 02:37 PM   #13
mdl25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT_lover View Post
My AD had a 5226 today when I was there. They told me there are not getting a 5326 this calendar year. No word on 5172.

They had a 5226 unaccounted for?!

Old 5 June 2022, 02:52 PM   #14
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT_lover View Post
I was told one 5326 this year but the interest list is very long for this model.

Quote:
The Patek agent lends some novelties to AD for display only, and the AD has to return these watches after a certain period. My AD receives the green 5270P for 1 day only, and interested customers are all called in to see the piece only for that day.
Old 5 June 2022, 03:06 PM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
It’s a million miles off. Granted 5226/5326 are so new that data points are scarce, but with any model just take a look what dealers are selling to each other for in auction posts on Moda Watch group. The difference between those genuine price discoveries and whatever C24 was smoking with their price estimates is sometimes 40-50%+.

Rolex lefties were actually selling for $55K+ when they started trickling in in early May. Now they’ve already went below $40K. In a matter of weeks.

Just to illustrate how off C24 is, the C24 price estimate on my 5990/1A is somehow $280K even though there are half a dozen 5990/2A listed on C24 currently at under $180k.
The price of 5990 in my C24 shows 230k today. The estimated price in C24 is not based on the lowest listings, but a combination of recent transacted price and listing prices.

I do think timing is everything. In Feb 2022 at the peak of pricing, I sold my 5712/1A at 185k (not too far off C24 market price of 200k). Now it is obviously less and the market is on a downward trajectory, with more people dumping to dealers the grey pricing will be further lowered due to a knock-on spiral effect.

But it will be a different animal for the novelties. Do me a favour, give those C24 5226 listings a lowball offer of 50% and report back. I'm not in Moda but I doubt they have a 5226 at 50% off C24 pricing for this reference.
Old 5 June 2022, 06:01 PM   #16
GMT_lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No it has a home but I get to see all the models as they come in. They show them to the regular clients before delivering to the purchaser.
GMT_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2022, 06:13 PM   #17
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The price of 5990 in my C24 shows 230k today. The estimated price in C24 is not based on the lowest listings, but a combination of recent transacted price and listing prices.

I do think timing is everything. In Feb 2022 at the peak of pricing, I sold my 5712/1A at 185k (not too far off C24 market price of 200k). Now it is obviously less and the market is on a downward trajectory, with more people dumping to dealers the grey pricing will be further lowered due to a knock-on spiral effect.

But it will be a different animal for the novelties. Do me a favour, give those C24 5226 listings a lowball offer of 50% and report back. I'm not in Moda but I doubt they have a 5226 at 50% off C24 pricing for this reference.
Mine is a 2021 with new clasp, possible that C24 accounts for that. Doesn’t matter. It wouldn’t sell even remotely close to C24 prices due to those often being pure fantasy listings where the grey puts up an astronomical price and then pays market rate to some other grey who has the watch if some idiot actually decides to buy acc to the listing.

That’s the case for every 5226 on C24 as well. None of them seem to have pictures of the actual watch but only press photos. So no, obviously they wont sell for 50% of ask. Unless they can buy it for 40%.

My 2021 peaked at over 350k acc to C24 in feb. At that time I asked around a little for curiosity’s sake. not a single grey would pay more than 200k. Another fishy point with C24 seeing as uploading a watch for sale as a private seller requires ample photos of your watch set to specific times, but dealers can just upload pics from PPs website and call it a day, apparently.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 08:19 AM   #18
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Any update on the 5172g salmon ? AD got one and i have two days to decide. They had the blue for another customer on April this year and second one they receive in the whole year is the one with new dial. Blue seems more usable and the salmon is more collectable.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 09:45 AM   #19
patlex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
Any update on the 5172g salmon ? AD got one and i have two days to decide. They had the blue for another customer on April this year and second one they receive in the whole year is the one with new dial. Blue seems more usable and the salmon is more collectable.
I have my eyes set also on the 5172g. Between the Salmon and blue, I prefer the latter. More versatile which allows for dressing up or casual. Also it “smiles” at me when I tried it on. I have tried the salmon as well and it just doesn’t “click” as much. I will go with my heart On my AD list for the blue..
patlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 10:55 AM   #20
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am aware of one that sold yesterday for retail + tax. It was new and dated last month if I recall correctly. That goes to show how inflated C24 prices are.

Btw, congrats on selling at the very top of the market haha.
LJubel328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 12:06 AM   #21
ryehn
"TRF" Member

I love mine

Feel free to follow along with my watch journey!
ryehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 07:37 AM   #22
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Really stunning watch
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 11:41 AM   #23
lbj_19
"TRF" Member

Awesome photo of an awesome watch. That dial can be photographed multiple ways and it would show different shades of salmom
lbj_19 is offline   Reply With Quote