The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 November 2022, 02:27 AM   #1
GelatoBoii
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on 5235/50R?

Hi all, looks like I should have my first PP incoming (both first PP in the collection and AD allocation).

I've long been looking to add a Lange to the collection and when I saw this piece it almost feels like a Glasshutte homage piece. It's certainly the most teutonic in the PP collection as far as I can tell.

Anyone own or has handled this piece? Any pics to share would be even better!
GelatoBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 04:02 AM   #2
Vasco
"TRF" Member

That's a watch I've been coming to for some time now (in white gold first, then in rose gold). It has my favorite automatic caliber from the brand to start with, the 31-260, and the watch looks much better in the real (I find official pictures make it a little "boring").

For people who like accuracy, it's a very interesting piece, especially since it's one of the few that have the escapement wheel, anchor and spiral from their Advanced Research program. There is something very unique in the look of that watch which is sometimes a nice thing to feel.

The rose gold version brings a funnier touch to the watch, less cold maybe. The white gold version can be worn in a more classical (discreet) way. This being said, the 5235R remains discreet too, it's not show off. The dial has many shades to offer, it's very enjoyable to stare at (you can have a look here if you want: https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/)

However, it's really something you should handle before deciding imho (a good general rule of thumb I believe). Owners here have said it's quite easy to get used to reading time.

Keep us informed :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 05:31 AM   #3
anx21
"TRF" Member

It is the best bang-for-buck in terms of movement you'll see from Patek even at its inflated suggested retail price (it's the only reference outside the advanced research line to have the pulsomax escapement). I prefer the look of the white gold reference with blue font, but that's subjective. Almost jumped on the white gold one that sold on moda for 34K a couple of weeks ago, that was a deal and a half. Legibility is quite good honestly; reading time on the regulator felt relatively natural when I interacted with it at the AD. The calendar layout is also much better IMO than 5960/5205/5905 because of the date at 6 o' clock
anx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 01:53 AM   #4
Jshwarms
"TRF" Member

Fantastic overall! Advanced movement, looks great, and not a "HYPE" watch.
Jshwarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:31 AM   #5
GelatoBoii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
That's a watch I've been coming to for some time now (in white gold first, then in rose gold). It has my favorite automatic caliber from the brand to start with, the 31-260, and the watch looks much better in the real (I find official pictures make it a little "boring").

For people who like accuracy, it's a very interesting piece, especially since it's one of the few that have the escapement wheel, anchor and spiral from their Advanced Research program. There is something very unique in the look of that watch which is sometimes a nice thing to feel.

The rose gold version brings a funnier touch to the watch, less cold maybe. The white gold version can be worn in a more classical (discreet) way. This being said, the 5235R remains discreet too, it's not show off. The dial has many shades to offer, it's very enjoyable to stare at (you can have a look here if you want:

However, it's really something you should handle before deciding imho (a good general rule of thumb I believe). Owners here have said it's quite easy to get used to reading time.

Keep us informed :)
Being new to PP I didn't know about the Advanced Research program!

1. Dam you for giving me something new to get lost into
2. Thank you for giving me something new to get lost into

Rose gold is my favorite metal for timepieces so no issues on that here! Have both Rolex and AP references in RG.

For sure it's a cardinal rule for me on rarer references like this where I haven't had the chance to see it in the metal to hold and wear it before making a purchase decision. Thankfully my AD is a great guy that agrees that's the right move and not one to push for me making a decision on it before trying it while still holding it for me as a first-time PP buyer.

Thanks also for posing the Hightime article, great read.
Old 29 November 2022, 07:30 PM   #6
Vasco
"TRF" Member

My pleasure! I'm glad you found a nice AD to deal with, that's a huge part of the discovery of a brand, through a nice experience learning about them :)
Old 5 December 2022, 12:04 PM   #7
GelatoBoii
"TRF" Member

Quick update here - was visiting my AD last week and two bits of great news. The Regulator allocation will be in before EoY (I would imagine mid Dec if the PP factories shut down like Rolex Ones for the last 2 weeks of the year)! Visiting ended up also yielding a surprise 5227R pick up (have made another post on that one). That in turn has helped me fall deep into the PP rabbit hole and I had a wonderful time learning about the catalog and movements since. Also nice to hit the AD lotto and find an SA who has been a true watch enthusiast for decades which certainly makes this whole journey 100x more enjoyable and tolerable.
Old 6 December 2022, 05:50 PM   #8
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Congrats - great watch. I have a 5235G and echo the sentiment here that the movement finishing is a notch or two above other PP watches at this price point.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2022, 07:27 PM   #9
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelatoBoii View Post
Quick update here - was visiting my AD last week and two bits of great news. The Regulator allocation will be in before EoY (I would imagine mid Dec if the PP factories shut down like Rolex Ones for the last 2 weeks of the year)! Visiting ended up also yielding a surprise 5227R pick up (have made another post on that one). That in turn has helped me fall deep into the PP rabbit hole and I had a wonderful time learning about the catalog and movements since. Also nice to hit the AD lotto and find an SA who has been a true watch enthusiast for decades which certainly makes this whole journey 100x more enjoyable and tolerable.
Glad to hear you had a nice experience. Indeed, taking some time to learn and hold watches helps discover things we didn't realize. Keep us informed when it's there :)
Old 19 December 2022, 11:37 PM   #10
Tonski74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5204-011; 5270-001
The 5235 is definitely a very unique and special watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tonski74 is offline   Reply With Quote