The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 November 2022, 06:41 AM   #1
aa909
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 530
Recent AD visit

Stopped by a local AD this weekend, store was empty but there were nearly 20 PPs on display (to try on only). first time since covid I have seen a patek dealer with pieces on display, not to mention 5 different nautilis models, 5 aquanats and various complications (no new releases). I actually don't recall seeing this many pieces on display in years.

I had a chance to try on a few pieces and discussed allocation options. Pretty good conversation with the SA and she signaled that ADs may finally be getting some pieces back in stock and making calls to clients in the coming weeks / months
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:05 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Real Name: Bob
Location: United States
Watch: Rolex and Patek
Posts: 6,786
What I am hearing is these watches in the case now are actually sold but ADs need to have a certain minimum stock on display so they cannot be released to customers until new stock comes in. It's a crazy watch world.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:46 AM   #3
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Orange
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
Stopped by a local AD this weekend, store was empty but there were nearly 20 PPs on display (to try on only). first time since covid I have seen a patek dealer with pieces on display, not to mention 5 different nautilis models, 5 aquanats and various complications (no new releases). I actually don't recall seeing this many pieces on display in years.

I had a chance to try on a few pieces and discussed allocation options. Pretty good conversation with the SA and she signaled that ADs may finally be getting some pieces back in stock and making calls to clients in the coming weeks / months
Hm, haven't seen this at my local AD in California. Which AD was this? I'm wondering if this will roll out more broadly.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:24 AM   #4
Coolcamden
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 226
I haven’t seen a thing.
Coolcamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 02:46 PM   #5
GelatoBoii
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 37
Same in Arizona!
GelatoBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 03:27 PM   #6
Tachycardia
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LA
Posts: 16
Tourneau patek at south coast plaza in California has various aquanaut and nautilus on display.
Tachycardia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:26 PM   #7
kanwind
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
What I am hearing is these watches in the case now are actually sold but ADs need to have a certain minimum stock on display so they cannot be released to customers until new stock comes in. It's a crazy watch world.
If those watches are sold, they will not even let to try on
You may can only see after the window
kanwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:15 PM   #8
patlex
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Asia
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwind View Post
If those watches are sold, they will not even let to try on
You may can only see after the window
My AD allows me to try on those already allocated, or any one which is displayed. As to why these watches are not released to the buyers, Iím told that the AD needs to display a minimum number.
patlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 11:57 PM   #9
D_Rolex
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: North America
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
What I am hearing is these watches in the case now are actually sold but ADs need to have a certain minimum stock on display so they cannot be released to customers until new stock comes in. It's a crazy watch world.

My SA said the exact same thingÖ

Not sure how I feel about thatÖ knowing you paid for it and others get to try it on etc. Wonder if the client gets the full unboxing experience etc before they put it on display. I reckon they must because they have to come in an pay for it. Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 02:16 AM   #10
Will_L
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: World
Posts: 169
Was in Spain for work and visited the AD, they had 'display only' models as well

Have seen the little storefront signs popping up left and right
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 05:24 AM   #11
newonos
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: usa
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
What I am hearing is these watches in the case now are actually sold but ADs need to have a certain minimum stock on display so they cannot be released to customers until new stock comes in. It's a crazy watch world.
i dunno if that is uniform. my local ad has zero in the case.
newonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 05:51 AM   #12
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .
Posts: 816
2023 will be different, most of the models will be available for sale on display except nautilus and aquanauts
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 05:52 AM   #13
HAPConst
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: United States
Posts: 48
So you pay in full and then the AD keeps it for an unspecified amount of time so others can handle it? I understand some folks are hung up on buying from an AD but that’s just plain dumb. You pay for it, you take it. My Lambo dealer didn’t make me pay upfront so others can sit in it and make motor boat sounds.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 06:32 AM   #14
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: …tats-Unis
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPConst View Post
So you pay in full and then the AD keeps it for an unspecified amount of time so others can handle it? I understand some folks are hung up on buying from an AD but thatís just plain dumb. You pay for it, you take it. My Lambo dealer didnít make me pay upfront so others can sit in it and make motor boat sounds.
This made my laugh out loud. Thank you.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 10:21 AM   #15
JR16
2023 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 6,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by patlex View Post
My AD allows me to try on those already allocated, or any one which is displayed. As to why these watches are not released to the buyers, Iím told that the AD needs to display a minimum number.

Patek requires a certain number of watches to be on display at an AD now. These are real watches - the AD has to purchase them. They can sell them but not without replacing it with something in the case. Whether any of these watches have actually been purchased and are waiting to be picked up by the buyer ? I suppose this Varies from one AD to another.

Rolex is similar - ADs are expected to display certain number of watches - these are real watches that the AD must purchase Ö the big difference is that these watches do not have serial numbers at allÖ at some point they will go back to Rolex and get serial numbers engraved on the rehaut.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2023, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.