The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 July 2020, 05:04 AM   #31
georgetownhoya
"TRF" Member

Hi sensui - congratulations on a beautiful watch! That watch actually was found by me. I bought it from the friend of the original owner who inherited it in the mid-1990s after his friend passed. I was offered the watch by e-mail after the gentleman saw the Reference Points video and article on HODINKEE and spoke with the elderly gentleman who owned it for hours about the watch, which was essentially unworn and untouched since he received it.

As others have mentioned, there is a run of GMT-Master reference 1675 examples with that greenish, long-glowing and low-to-no radioactivity luminous material, typically with an inside case back production of "IV.60" (meaning the case was made in the fourth quarter of 1960, with the watches being assembled and tested well after that). I believe that this lume mixture on this run of GMT-Masters, as well as the "Tulip" or "Tulipino" Submariner reference 5512s was strontium aluminate. Here is how Wikipedia describes it: "Strontium aluminate is an aluminate compound with the chemical formula SrAl₂O₄. It is a pale yellow, monoclinic crystalline powder that is odorless and non-flammable. When activated with a suitable dopant, it acts as a photoluminescent phosphor with long persistence of phosphorescence."

Alex Ciani recently wrote this on Instagram: "It’s common knowledge that tritium replaced radium as the luminous paste on watch dials in 1963. It wasn’t however the first less-radioactive material to be used for this purpose: starting around 1960 Rolex had already been using - alternatively to radium - strontium aluminate, a mineral based compound still used today for many applications. Those dials are easily recognized by the vibrant, greenish color and intense luminescence, something that has often misled the judgement of many vintage watch experts back in the day, with the consequence that a number of perfect factory dials ended up being “relumed” with very questionable results."

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. Eric Wind of Wind Vintage
georgetownhoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 11:58 AM   #32
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBigCrown View Post
Why?

Watch the OP's video - it's more or less the same as that.
Because the majority of the people posting here has never seen 60 year old lume glow for this length of time. If yours is untouched and does the same, it basically settles any debate.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 07:14 PM   #33
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Because the majority of the people posting here has never seen 60 year old lume glow for this length of time. If yours is untouched and does the same, it basically settles any debate.
His dial is approx 2 years later as it has an underline. It also has very different lume and the watch carries a number of service parts. I think it is wiser to read Erics post above where he shares his knowledge on the topic at hand.
Old 5 July 2020, 02:38 AM   #34
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetownhoya View Post
Hi sensui - congratulations on a beautiful watch! That watch actually was found by me. I bought it from the friend of the original owner who inherited it in the mid-1990s after his friend passed. I was offered the watch by e-mail after the gentleman saw the Reference Points video and article on HODINKEE and spoke with the elderly gentleman who owned it for hours about the watch, which was essentially unworn and untouched since he received it.

As others have mentioned, there is a run of GMT-Master reference 1675 examples with that greenish, long-glowing and low-to-no radioactivity luminous material, typically with an inside case back production of "IV.60" (meaning the case was made in the fourth quarter of 1960, with the watches being assembled and tested well after that). I believe that this lume mixture on this run of GMT-Masters, as well as the "Tulip" or "Tulipino" Submariner reference 5512s was strontium aluminate. Here is how Wikipedia describes it: "Strontium aluminate is an aluminate compound with the chemical formula SrAl₂O₄. It is a pale yellow, monoclinic crystalline powder that is odorless and non-flammable. When activated with a suitable dopant, it acts as a photoluminescent phosphor with long persistence of phosphorescence."

Alex Ciani recently wrote this on Instagram: "It’s common knowledge that tritium replaced radium as the luminous paste on watch dials in 1963. It wasn’t however the first less-radioactive material to be used for this purpose: starting around 1960 Rolex had already been using - alternatively to radium - strontium aluminate, a mineral based compound still used today for many applications. Those dials are easily recognized by the vibrant, greenish color and intense luminescence, something that has often misled the judgement of many vintage watch experts back in the day, with the consequence that a number of perfect factory dials ended up being “relumed” with very questionable results."

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. Eric Wind of Wind Vintage
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing the info.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 03:21 AM   #35
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
It’s interesting as Strontium aluminate is what’s much later was used for Superluminova. I didn’t know this may have been used by Rolex this early but it would explain the strong and long glow on these watches. Other lume material that was speculated to have been used in this era is Promethium 147. More specifically before the underlines in 1963. I really miss reading the long discussions on VRF where John (fatboyharris) shared his wide knowledge regarding this. Bit of a shame we don’t have those discussions anymore.

Thanks for pitching in Eric and confirming.
Old 5 July 2020, 05:25 PM   #36
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

From 1967

https://www.instagram.com/vintage_georgex/
suligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:01 AM   #37
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Interesting a large arrow that glows like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by suligeo View Post

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:23 AM   #38
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
The bluish green color is indicative of a relume job for me. Especially that glowing green lume on the large 24-hour hand.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:53 AM   #39
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

No Springer it’s green. The UV light makes it blueish. This green is zincsulfade with tritium.
For this period correct

Old 6 July 2020, 02:54 AM   #40
springer
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=suligeo;10726367]No Springer it’s green. The UV light makes it blueish. This green is zincsulfade with tritium.
For this period correct

If you think it is correct, then my opinion remains mine. I've never seen a large, green-glow 24-hour hand. If you like it, and think it is correct, then that's all that is important. My opinion differs.

I've been buying and collecting GMTs (200 plus watches) for over two decades and have never seen that hand before with green glowing lume. Additionally, the hands look "brand new" which makes them highly suspect for me.

Notice the 24-hour hand does not glow green on this circa 1966-67 GMT 1675.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170723_175911sm.jpg (47.7 KB, 144 views)

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 6 July 2020, 07:14 AM   #41
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

Opinions requested on lume from circa 1960 for 1675

From what I know, and more collectors with knowledge, the first big GMT hand 1675 between 1966-1968- probably Serial late 1.6Mio until low 1.8Mio with MK1 longE came with a mixture Tritium/zincsulfade which glows still today. Strong green but short time.
That’s not new and I wonder that you and Nick never heard about it?!

The 1675 you show looks same. Why gmt hand glows different? You believe this handset was born together?
Who knows?! In 50years many can happen and not all things ageing same.

Old 6 July 2020, 08:08 AM   #42
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetownhoya View Post

Hi there Eric. Very glad to see you chime in and add some knowledge/experience to a fascinating/interesting discussion.. after all that is the goal of all this... Education and see where people lie in their opinions as a lot of this hobby isn't resolute... As they say.... Clear as mud. But thanks also for sharing the history of the watch and expanding on this series of lume from this transitional era.

To everyone that's commented and shared their experience/knowledge I thank you as well. I think the topic is certainly interesting and we're all learning one way or another. As previously mentioned by springer already, everyone is entitled to an opinion and I see no problems discussing it as long as everyone has valid points to reference for everyone.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 09:01 AM   #43
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
From what I know, and more collectors with knowledge, the first big GMT hand 1675 between 1966-1968- probably Serial late 1.6Mio until low 1.8Mio with MK1 longE came with a mixture Tritium/zincsulfade which glows still today. Strong green but short time.
That’s not new and I wonder that you and Nick never heard about it?!

The 1675 you show looks same. Why gmt hand glows different? You believe this handset was born together?
Who knows?! In 50years many can happen and not all things ageing same.

The reason Nick, me and others that I talked to today never heard of it before is because in our opinion it didn't happen. Sorry, that's an opinion not only shared by me but others that have been collecting and in the business for decades unlike the newbies with all these newfound claims.

But, if it works for you, then that's wonderful. I have no reason to discuss it further.

Old 7 July 2020, 03:12 AM   #44
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The reason Nick, me and others that I talked to today never heard of it before is because in our opinion it didn't happen. Sorry, that's an opinion not only shared by me but others that have been collecting and in the business for decades unlike the newbies with all these newfound claims.

But, if it works for you, then that's wonderful. I have no reason to discuss it further.
S, disregard my comments regarding the early, large 24-hour hands not having a green glow under UV light. I am a little mistaken it seems. I've had a couple examples sent to me that are in the 1.7 million serial range that glow green under UV. Under the UV light in a darkened room, the lume glows green and once the UV light is shut off, the glow remains for 7 to 8 seconds before quickly dissipating.

Old 7 July 2020, 07:08 AM   #45
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

Yes Springer, the first batch( there are 3 different MK1 1675 dials)
MK1 longE has the mixture Tritium/zincsulfade which still glows today under UV. It glows not long but strong. You just have to google 5 minutes and you can read all night after strong coffee.

Only between 1966-1968. Actually I love more my vanilla 1675 instead of glowing( greenish dial) but it connects two worlds. A 50years old vintage piece that glows strong as the new ones.

Some more examples

https://robertmaron.com/product.php?productid=20654

https://www.watchpatrol.net/de/eintrag/833741/

https://www.watchpool24.com/de/30734...ox-und-papiere

https://watchcharts.com/listing/1418537

https://gmtmaster1675.com/mark-1/

https://www.r-l-x.de/forum/showthrea...urks-II)/page5

Old 7 July 2020, 07:16 AM   #46
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

As I said, over half century old but sharp...

Old 8 July 2020, 12:31 AM   #47
b.k.
"TRF" Member

Here’s mine with 1.4m serial/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17v-...w?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b.k. is offline   Reply With Quote