The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 15 July 2010, 05:55 PM   #1
blackmsport
Banned

Defaubre

what do you know about this brand

worth buying ? thanks
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
the_old_curmudgeon
"TRF" Member

They were originally located in Florida and directly affiliated with the German company Steinhart. The 2 entities split up a couple of years ago and the US piece took the name Defaubre. Since that time they've been gradually adjusting their product line to carve out their own distinct niche.

Their dive watches are nearly identical to Grovana/Revue Thommen/Steinhart/Robert Uhren branded models - biggest difference I have noticed is that the Defaubre and Steinhart models use a better bracelet - and are assembled by Grovana, not sure who builds their pilot watches. Orders may be fulfilled either from California or directly from Europe. I believe that they were taken over by new ownership with some of the staff functions relocated to Utah around 6 months ago.

They have a reasonably active forum on WUS if you want to read up on them a bit more. IMO they're worth looking into depending on what you are looking for.
the_old_curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
blackmsport
Banned

thanks i am looking at an ocean 1 looks exactly like a submariner and made in swiss as well
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 01:05 AM   #4
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I recently bought a watch direct from Steinhart. The watch arrived in 4 days to the US from Germany. Blazing fast delivery to say the least.

Very nice quality, and good movement considering it turned out to be $435 shipped. I'll likely get a small duties bill in the mail, but it shouldn't be too much.

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 03:35 AM   #5
the_old_curmudgeon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport View Post
thanks i am looking at an ocean 1 looks exactly like a submariner and made in swiss as well
The Ocean-1 is pretty good value for the money and although it is clearly an homage design if you put one next to a Sub it is immediately obvious that it isn't an exact copy. Among other things the scalloping of the bezel differs, the bezel insert is wider, and the case is larger.
Old 18 July 2010, 10:51 PM   #6
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_old_curmudgeon View Post
The Ocean-1 is pretty good value for the money and although it is clearly an homage design if you put one next to a Sub it is immediately obvious that it isn't an exact copy. Among other things the scalloping of the bezel differs, the bezel insert is wider, and the case is larger.
Yeah, the Ocean 1 Vintage Red is surprisingly nice. I think it even sports an acrylic crystal. I don't own one, but it looks like one of the better homages.

NOT my pics (or watch)...

I don't know what you call this one, but it has an obvious COMEX look to the dial...

Old 19 July 2010, 01:10 AM   #7
the_old_curmudgeon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

I don't know what you call this one, but it has an obvious COMEX look to the dial...

That model is just known as the 'Ocean-1 vintage'. AFAIK all the vintage models are only sold by Steinhart and use plexiglass/acrylic crystal. The crystal on the standard models is sapphire.
Old 20 July 2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Sose
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport View Post
what do you know about this brand

worth buying ? thanks
Funny! I'm wearing one right now! My Airforce Orange on a custom Toscana Panerai-style strap.

The watch quality is incredible!! It's gotten quite a few looks from people thinking it's a Bell & Ross. Which is not surprising, seeing as Debaufre manufactures great looking Homage pieces.

It's a great, well manufactured, time piece. According to another forum I frequently visit, their customer service is fantastic.

Cheers.

Stock picture attached.
Sose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Sose
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I recently bought a watch direct from Steinhart. The watch arrived in 4 days to the US from Germany. Blazing fast delivery to say the least.

Very nice quality, and good movement considering it turned out to be $435 shipped. I'll likely get a small duties bill in the mail, but it shouldn't be too much.

Could you provide me with a link to where you got this one?
It looks incredible!

Thanks.
Sose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2010, 01:26 PM   #10
the_old_curmudgeon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sose View Post
It looks incredible!

Thanks.
Steinhart is at www.steinhartwatches.de and detailed info on each model shows both VAT and non-VAT pricing.
Old 25 July 2010, 05:20 AM   #11
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sose View Post
It looks incredible!

Thanks.
Just order direct from the site. I really like it. It's an incredible value seeing as how it has an ETA 2824-2!

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index...&Sel_ID=18#194