The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 November 2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
IWC Pilot Chrono Rose Gold Review.

Iwc has always been impressing me. But honestly, the models I wanted, such as their perpetual calendar Portuguese are way above my budget, and even moreso with their tourbillon series.

Their pilot watches are great, but none really strike me as much. The big pilot is awesome, but my small wrist just can't pull it off.

so the other day I visited my AD and found the pilot chrono rose gold. It stole all of my attention that day. And nothing else is of any interest. I saw one of the members who got one not so long ago,but never actually saw one in person.. Until that day.

Its undeniably stunning. It had such a combination that I couldn't resist. The black dial, the rose gold case, and the dark brown strap.. Along with the red sub-seconds hand, it was just all good.

So I bought it. Got a great discount and actually the msrp itself wasn't all that bad for a gold watch.

For around 11k, brand new, I think its bang for your buck. The gold case is heavy and nicely built. Brushed sides and polished surface adds the glint and gleam of the watch. The crystal is domed and coated, legibility is not an issue, and I kinda like the domed crystal.

However, the minute hand and the chrono seconds hand is slightly bent downwards towards the dial towards the tip. I'm not sure if this is sight play due to the curved cystal, but having looked at it through several angles, I'm positive that it is slightly bent downwards. This is probably to avoid the minute and seconds chrono hand to touch the crystal. But I'm not so sure.

I'm also unaware of the movement, but I highly suspect that it is a heavily modified version of ETA. Moreover, you also get a date and day feature along with the chrono function. What more could you ask for? Hehe.. Any more it will be a perpetual or annual calendar and then it would cost a lot more..

You might also notice that IWC's rosegold is not as pink as Rolex's. There's a red gold option (but not available for this model) that is as link as Rolex's everose.

The watch sits really well on the wrist. At times it does feel slightly top heavy, but nothing to complain about. The size is also particularly well thoughtl it doesn't look awkward at all.

The chrono pushers does protrude a little more than I wouldve liked, but that's just minor aesthetics complain from me.

Speaking of which, the chrono start pusher does feel abit stiff when activated. Not sure if this is the case with all models. But feels that way on mine.

The markers, numbers, hands, all are very legible and easy to read at a glancel however the limes are only applied on the 3,6,9,12 and hour and minute hands. But I guess that's all you need when trying to spot in the dark. However, the Lume doesn't glow as bright as I expected, and it doesn't last too long as well.

The watch is supplied with a rose gold tang buckle. Looks simple and plain to me. However it wished it wouldve been a double deployant clasp instead, will keep my straps in better condition after longer periods of time..

Nothing else interesting to talk about the buckle. I do like that they made it brushed, doesn't scratch easily.

The back part of the watch is pretty dull and boring.. For a gold watch that is over 10k, I wouldve expecTed to have an exhibition caseback or at least a decorated caseback. But then again some of you might say that I won't see it when I'm wearing it, which is true, but I just wish iwc would put more effort into it.

In summary, I love it. Its a casual and dress watch at the same time. I actually just wore it with my suit tonight.

They have several versions of this chrono watch, in steel, with bracelet, in ceramics and in a larger ceramics dopplechrono..

Oh one more thing.. I think the box sucks. Iwc should pay more attention to that.

Thanks for reading guys.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2010, 05:01 AM   #2
Michael M.
Banned

Cool review and pictures! The IWC 3717 is a timeless piece, my dad has the stainless steel version. BTW: Congrats!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Shade
"TRF" Member

Thanks Michael, I would agree that it is indeed a timeless piece..

Old 21 November 2010, 10:59 AM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Norman, I actually have the very same model in Rose Gold as well. Great review.

I got the deployment clasp which cost a bit more. I think it is pretty oustanding myself. Congrats and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IWC Pilot Chrono Resized.jpg (52.7 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg IWC Deployment Clasp Resize 1.jpg (61.4 KB, 577 views)
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Shade
"TRF" Member

Hi Dan, yes I know you have one.. It was actually yours that inspired me to get mine hahaha..

The single deployant wouldn't work for me, I wish they made a double deployant model.

Extra pic..

Old 21 November 2010, 06:37 PM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Ah, yes wrist size I imagine. Either way though it's still a great watch. Once again you did an excellent job on your review.

Thank you sir, and enjoy your IWC Pilot Chronograph. That and Rose Gold is such a great combination.
Old 21 November 2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Shade
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dan! I am definitely enjoying it very very much..

Old 22 November 2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Ezza8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great review of a top watch..here's mine!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0306.jpg (105.2 KB, 554 views)
Ezza8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2010, 08:46 PM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Cool, we have another member in our group. Excellent!!!
Old 11 February 2011, 10:57 AM   #10
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

An impressing piece indeed. Although a bit late, please accept congratulations from me too.

As a 3717 owner, I can relate to your enthusiasm. Although the Gold version was above budget for me, I am extremely satisfied with my steel version.

As for the hands appearing bent towards the dial, I believe it is the crystal giving it that appearance on all 3717s.

The calibre 7750 is modified to IWC specification, thus making the modification unique to the brand. Less expensive brands using the 7750 do not have the IWC modification. ETA delivers the modified movements to IWC Schaffhausen. ETA manufactures the modification to the high specifications IWC specifies. I believe, I may be wrong, IWC came up with the actual modification.

The stiff chronograph pushers is not unique to your watch, it is the standard for the 3717.

/posted via mobile device\
Old 11 February 2011, 11:27 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
An impressing piece indeed. Although a bit late, please accept congratulations from me too.

As a 3717 owner, I can relate to your enthusiasm. Although the Gold version was above budget for me, I am extremely satisfied with my steel version.
Excellent we have another member to add to the club.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 February 2011, 11:46 AM   #12
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Awesome review.

Can I ask - does this IWC modified 7750 "wobble"?
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2011, 06:28 PM   #13
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Awesome review.

Can I ask - does this IWC modified 7750 "wobble"?
Sure does.

/posted via mobile device\