The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2011, 05:43 AM   #1
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
my Certina collection.

hello guys/ladies

this is just my first time that I am sharing a part of my collection formally so please ignore any short comings in the following review..my collection isn't anything hi-fi but I will hopefully be sharing more from my collection in the next few days

presenting to you guys, my collection of three Certina watches...One reason why I especially felt I should share these beauties with you all is that Certina is an under-represented brand here so I thought I'd intriduce you all to this wonderful brand

Certina is a swiss watch maker since 1888...it is now part of the Swatch Group...it is famous for its super PH1000 and other similar dive watches from the 60s/70s.

My three watches have most features in common:

-200m WR
-Sapphire crystal
-screw-down crown
-quartz movts (but with slight variations that I'll show in a while)
-SuperLuminova coated hands and markers
-DS+ rating ...DS (double security) was a historic rating by Certina for its water-resistant and shock resistant mechanical watches...now taht they are quartz, I dont think this rating is just a historic marking...the screw down ones are now rated DS+.
-316L steel
-uni-directional rotating bezels with lumed pip
-diver's extension
-the chronos have a tachymetric chapter ring scale and date at 4 o'clock whereas the non-chrono has a 60 markings chapter ring with date at 3.
-cost is around $475.

first the boxes:

the three together:

blue dial DS First Chrono...it has a unique chrono in that it has centre second as well as minute hands for the chrono function and 1/10 sub-dial at 2 o'clock and hour totalizer at 10 and sub-seconds at 6...second pic clarifies shoing all the hands (7 in total )

black dial DS Action chrono with centre chrono seconds, 1/10th of chrono secs at 2, minutes at 10 and sub-seconds at 6 (the pushers are not screw down but designed very sturdy and well )

silver dial DS First non-chrono...this is my daily beater:

the bracelets are the same for the DS First models, five link, and three link one for the DS Action...the bracelets are very heavy and solid, not folded over...two smaller links on the five link ones are polished while the other three are brushed...the three link bracelet is all brushed.

I weighed my DS First non-chrono with bracelet and, I might be a little off as it was a little while ago, it came in at around 165 grams, where as on strap it was 95 grams...and forgot to snap the diver's extension but they all have it :)

one on my wrist:

the casebacks are all similar..heres a few caseback shots:

just so, this is me. taken yesterday, sorry missed the watch :) :

all in all, they are very reliable, sturdy beater watches that look very good too and work as well I highly recommend them to anyone looking for stylish, high quality sports watches Being part of the Swatch Group, it must be kept in mind that they come form a reliable group together with all the benefits and pedigree

thanks for reading and do share your experiences of Certinas too.

cheers,
Asad
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2011, 06:21 AM   #2
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Nice collection, Asad! I've heard of and seen some Certina watches in Manila back in 2008.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2011, 07:06 AM   #3
blackmsport
Banned

thanks for sharing

Very nice

I have one certina and chasing a Kubica edition
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2011, 02:12 AM   #4
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Really nice collection!

I like Certina watches, I had one Chrono (sold it to my friend), and it was really well made watch.

I like that 200m diver of yours, looks much better than all of the Sub homages and reminds me little of Breitling Colt line.
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2011, 02:45 AM   #5
MonBK
Banned

Nice review and IMHO everyone should have a Certina in their collection.

Here's my 7 hands split second Chronograph.

MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2011, 06:13 AM   #6
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgator View Post
Nice collection, Asad! I've heard of and seen some Certina watches in Manila back in 2008.
thanks a lot DC..I dont know the distribution of Certinas but I do find it restricted to a few countries/regions and not as global as many other brands seem to have...Manila is one of them is nice to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport View Post
thanks for sharing

Very nice

I have one certina and chasing a Kubica edition
thank you for your kind words msport...it would be a pleasure to see your classic-inspired DS3 I am so looking forward to a DS Blue Ribbon for that classic elements with a modern+modest flair...the Kubica DS Action with orange highlights and carbon fibre dial is a killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukotab View Post
Really nice collection!

I like Certina watches, I had one Chrono (sold it to my friend), and it was really well made watch.

I like that 200m diver of yours, looks much better than all of the Sub homages and reminds me little of Breitling Colt line.
thank you Vukota for your appreciation...I also appreciate the fact that these are a little original designs compared to sub homages as I do not appreciate too much borrowing from an original design...I also like the fact that its from a company that has done its own home work

I can see the Colt connection...its quiet a compliment for it to be comparable to a watch costing four times as much but, yes, atleast in design we can see similar flow of lines and baton markers,the Colt being an excellent watch for sure and something I'd love to add to compliment the collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Nice review and IMHO everyone should have a Certina in their collection.
Exactly my opinion Mon...certina offersa very very good watch at a very good price...a flawless experience so far with the company

yours is a rare piece..I havent seen that before...which line is it? are you sure its a split-second or its a chorno like my own 7 hand one with centre minutes too? how old is that model?...very cool on the blue strap
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote