The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 October 2018, 08:09 AM   #1
foil_guy
"TRF" Member

Vintage 6536/1 still confuse me.....

Hi Folks, not a regular. Rolex isn't so much my thing, though i own what i think is a nice Gilt dial 6536/1 with a 6636 bracelet and service box.

Anyhow every so often i try to see what the values are. In essence i own quite a few watches, and recent times have seen quite a crazy uptake of collectors and values increasing. I wish i bought a Rolex '65 sub, with all gilt dial offered to me 3 years ago for £6000, seems these have shot up. So anyhow i see a train wreck of a 6536/1 on ebay, with aftermarket bezel, insert, dial and hands go for over $8000, and think WTF?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1950s-Vin....m43663.l44720

So i'm trying to understand why. Other times i see service replacement dials, getting better valuations, than original dials, which have had the lume replaced, and again, i'm left scratching my head.

So how do i value mine? is there value added if it's early? Mines a 3rd quarter 56, with a 1******** serial. Marks are clear under both lugs. serviced apparently in 1968, and has a '68 bracelet and '60's bezel insert?, then spent it's life in a safe.

Dial is the original gilt, with gilt 100m 330 ft. But does the re-lume mean this is better of worse than a service redial. Would this world of vintage rolex actually think a dial with lume removed is more valuable?

I love to know how you'd go about valuing mine.

foil_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Matdaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex daytona
all the money on these is in the dial,hands and insert as relumed dials and hands have little value
Matdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 06:02 PM   #3
foil_guy
"TRF" Member

Ok....

Doesn't explain the $8k watch exampled. Also I'm not sure it's as simple as you make out. I could pluck the lume off my dial and handset, sell it as a gilt dial and handset and someone would cough up good money. Also weirdly I bet if I removed, it would get more. Ive No intention too btw. Is it just true to say that Rolex subs are a whimsical thing? I hope not.
Old 8 October 2018, 11:33 PM   #4
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Man I’d send that dial and hands to MY and have him fix it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:43 AM   #5
foil_guy
"TRF" Member

Well..

So in essence, reluming a watch that got relumed by Rolex in '68. So that it conforms with looking like a radium lume watch is the way forward for Rolex collectors? Sure ive seen plenty of dials with relumed dials that are actually sumulating radium. Anyhow I get the obsessive radium lume thing. That's not strictly speaking what I'm asking. Though obviously it's part of the answer.