The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 October 2018, 10:11 PM   #31
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
ever vigilant for op/ak but mostly watching tbh
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 11:40 PM   #32
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
When I sell a Watch I’m done with it.I’m never going to aspire to own something I sold off.There are so many great References out there that it makes no sense to track down something you sold IMHO.
I've said that every time except once. I want this one back, but I'd have to pay about 3x more than I did 3 years ago. :(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150810_175308_resized.jpg (188.3 KB, 301 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:33 AM   #33
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
One hand, I'm happy prices of my collection have risen so much, I could sell and make a bundle. Other hand, I'll never be able to realistically buy that Concorde, which kinda sucks. Gripping hand, I have the collection I want and no need to worry further...these days I'm "just looking" at Rolexes and no pangs for any I don't own.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:22 AM   #34
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
45 grand is optimistic pricing for a MK IV FF Red Sub. Asking price and selling price often differ, but it's a hot market. Good luck to buyer and seller.
2 years ago I would say so, but today for a mint b&p red 1680 FF, anything is possible. You sure don't see them come up for sale in that condition everyday. That set is for a collector and not for a daily wearer IMO.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:09 AM   #35
R!$
Banned

the new gmt, daytona, and sd43 will cause vintage prices to fall
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:25 AM   #36
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
I think it’s just the opposite.As long as these Models are hard to find Vintage will continue to climb(Hey,That Rhymes).
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:36 AM   #37
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I think it’s just the opposite.As long as these Models are hard to find Vintage will continue to climb(Hey,That Rhymes).
I gotta agree with 05carbondrz. Look at what the new Daytona did to zenith Daytona prices.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:15 AM   #38
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:

So far this thinking has never happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:54 AM   #39
1665fan
"TRF" Member

If anything I would say smaller watches will go down in value....I’m waiting for my zeniths to catch the smaller 4 digits....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:34 PM   #40
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
So far this thinking has never happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s been quite the opposite in fact.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:02 PM   #41
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post

[Originally Posted by zapokee]
45 grand is optimistic pricing for a MK IV FF Red Sub. Asking price and selling price often differ, but it's a hot market. Good luck to buyer and seller.]

2 years ago I would say so, but today for a mint b&p red 1680 FF, anything is possible. You sure don't see them come up for sale in that condition everyday. That set is for a collector and not for a daily wearer IMO.
You're absolutely right - with full B&P, the price would be higher than normal. This doesn't seem to have B&P, though - just a piece of paper. For me, it would need all the original box, papers, receipts, anchor, tags and whatnot to be a collector set even close to 45 K.

The seller is a stand-up guy, though, in my experience. We've all gotta eat... Somone will probably buy it and make a mint by selling it on in a few years.

Happy to be proved wrong, as I have a very similar piece in the collection.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:15 PM   #42
exador
Banned

Let’s put $45K Red Subs into a bit of automotive context.

Can you imagine an all original, showroom condition MK1 Golf GTi like this one selling for $450,000?
(Car was about 10x the price of the watch when both new).

http://www.appreciating-classics.com...-golf-mk1-gti/
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:42 PM   #43
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
You're absolutely right - with full B&P, the price would be higher than normal. This doesn't seem to have B&P, though - just a piece of paper. For me, it would need all the original box, papers, receipts, anchor, tags and whatnot to be a collector set even close to 45 K.

The seller is a stand-up guy, though, in my experience. We've all gotta eat... Somone will probably buy it and make a mint by selling it on in a few years.

Happy to be proved wrong, as I have a very similar piece in the collection.
I get what you're saying and agree. However, condition and papers are most important, the box and accessories can all be sourced overtime to make it a full set. A collector who has the time will do it for sure. when that piece sells, it will most likely resurface one day as a full set
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:56 AM   #44
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

it all depends on time I spend on watch fora. and on what I see FS and I "need it". that is the trigger to not stop buying. but now, with just little more experience, I can control the urge, until I see a perfect example, that is scary...
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 02:31 AM   #45
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post
I look at classic cars as an example. Who is going to want them when electric cars far out perform and do so at a fraction of the damage to the environment. I think either they lose value like coke memorabilia or a cottage industry pops up to convert them to electric.

I saw a guy with an apple watch on one wrist and a watch on the other. Hopefully that is where we are going and classic watches become like art, timeless!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Many classic cars are also art and timeless. Who's going to want them over electric cars? Many guys, including me. It's like asking why wear a 6263 Big Red when you can just get the time off of your iPhone?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 04:25 AM   #46
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
How so? Most vintage enthusiasts see vintage Rolexes and the new over-sized monstrosities as having nothing in common but name.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 05:36 AM   #47
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
last purchase was this 16750 in late Summer 2015. I paid $6750 for it. it is worth $12-15k now. shout out to Springer for finding me a fantastic 78360 with the correct date stamp for this one. i almost bought a 16520 shortly after this for ~$8k. woulda coulda shoulda. but prices have decreased my interest in adding anything to zero. when we are talking about $15k+ for a run of the mill vintage Sub or GMT, id rather put the money in the stock market. i am 100% confident the S&P 500 will be higher 20 years from now; i personally think vintage Rolex prices will be lower in 20 years than where we are today. when the watches were priced $5-10k, it was a fun hobby and finding a great $5k watch and wearing it daily was fun. worrying about dinging a $15k watch is a lot less fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57 (2) copy.jpg (165.4 KB, 168 views)
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 06:43 AM   #48
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I totally agree with the above in that a few years ago prices were enough to be real money, but not so much where like now, buying vintage feels like buying a piece of a hedge fund...Also, years ago, buying vintage was MUCH cheaper than retail and that was part of the appeal! Not so much anymore.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 07:49 AM   #49
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

Pretty much sums it up exactly for me. I bought several high quality 4 and 5 digit pieces in late 2015 and early 2016 that have all done extremely well in value appreciation. I just don't see the value in most offerings today to entice me to buy similar quality pieces at the current prices ($15k or more generally). I have already sold a few and will likely continue to trim the herd at current crazy prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
last purchase was this 16750 in late Summer 2015. I paid $6750 for it. it is worth $12-15k now. shout out to Springer for finding me a fantastic 78360 with the correct date stamp for this one. i almost bought a 16520 shortly after this for ~$8k. woulda coulda shoulda. but prices have decreased my interest in adding anything to zero. when we are talking about $15k+ for a run of the mill vintage Sub or GMT, id rather put the money in the stock market. i am 100% confident the S&P 500 will be higher 20 years from now; i personally think vintage Rolex prices will be lower in 20 years than where we are today. when the watches were priced $5-10k, it was a fun hobby and finding a great $5k watch and wearing it daily was fun. worrying about dinging a $15k watch is a lot less fun.
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 08:08 AM   #50
SAAS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I use daily to fight off urges to buy at least one Tudor or Rolex on eBay per month. I have not bought anything in about 18 months. Well, one minisub I suppose. That’s it. Am I alone ?
This
SAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:57 PM   #51
nanopdahl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 168000
168000 circa 1989 Submariner

I need to sell this watch. I posted it on craigslist for $5000.00 and have been bombarded with response. Do you think it is worth more? It has beenwell maintained, never in ocean water. I only have the box and appraisal from reputable dealer. Help!!!
nanopdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 12:35 AM   #52
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
when we are talking about $15k+ for a run of the mill vintage Sub or GMT, id rather put the money in the stock market. i am 100% confident the S&P 500 will be higher 20 years from now; i personally think vintage Rolex prices will be lower in 20 years than where we are today. when the watches were priced $5-10k, it was a fun hobby and finding a great $5k watch and wearing it daily was fun. worrying about dinging a $15k watch is a lot less fun.
None of us know for sure, of course, but all evidence points to ever-increasing prices for prime examples of vintage Rolexes. There is no evidence that prices will fall, so I'm not sure why some people think that. Sure, there might be a leveling out for a while, depending on the economy, but the popular sports models are going in one direction, up.

Still, all this talk about investments and stock markets does indeed take some of the fun out of the hobby. I have never, ever thought about vintage watches as an investment. I simply love wearing them, and I never worry about dinging them because I'm as careful today as I was 20 years ago, whether it's my vintage Seiko or my 6263.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona 6263 Portrait-TRF 2018.jpg (276.9 KB, 106 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 12:55 AM   #53
Pureform
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopdahl View Post
I need to sell this watch. I posted it on craigslist for $5000.00 and have been bombarded with response. Do you think it is worth more? It has beenwell maintained, never in ocean water. I only have the box and appraisal from reputable dealer. Help!!!
16800 from 1989 in good condition sells for minimum 7k
Pureform is offline   Reply With Quote