The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2017, 09:29 PM   #1
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Perpetual calendar popularity and some digressions

While out this weekend, I tried on the 26574ST. It is a lovely watch with a readable and interesting complication and the steel version is, by some standard at least, not unreasonably priced.

That being the case, I’m surprised that there isn’t a bit more hype around them or a more regular flow of incoming posts.

The white was very nice and I would be very keen to see the blue face version

Now for digression #1:
While at the AP boutique a fellow came in with what looked to be a 44mm Diver on a steel strap with a white face and no chrono. I hadn’t seen one before and would be interested in any thoughts on what reference this might be

Digression #2:
Completely unrelated to watches, but kind of fun - on the way home our ferry was dodging some of the several hundred boats participating in the annual Around the Island yacht race. My regrets at missing out on sailing in it this year were soothed by the pouring rain that had appeared throughout the day.

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 09:32 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the blue SS PC is one of two AP's i would currently buy, maybe 3 if you consider the 15202 but i wouldn't want both the 15202 and the PC, I and prefer the PC. If it was easily attainable i would have it but its not, and at those price points ($61k last time i checked) i'm not really keen to hunt for it as its should not be as hard to find as it is.

I would not have gotten either of my ROO 44's if anyone had the SS PC. I love the offshores but i prefer the PC and it just got moved to the back burner as its hard to find. If my AD called me tomorrow with one, my 44's would be out the door.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 09:44 PM   #3
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
While out this weekend, I tried on the 26574ST. It is a lovely watch with a readable and interesting complication and the steel version is, by some standard at least, not unreasonably priced.

That being the case, I’m surprised that there isn’t a bit more hype around them or a more regular flow of incoming posts.

The white was very nice and I would be very keen to see the blue face version

Now for digression #1:
While at the AP boutique a fellow came in with what looked to be a 44mm Diver on a steel strap with a white face and no chrono. I hadn’t seen one before and would be interested in any thoughts on what reference this might be

Digression #2:
Completely unrelated to watches, but kind of fun - on the way home our ferry was dodging some of the several hundred boats participating in the annual Around the Island yacht race. My regrets at missing out on sailing in it this year were soothed by the pouring rain that had appeared throughout the day.

I hear nothing but great things about AP AD's in HK. Too bad I wasn't an AP fanatic yet on my last trip to HK or I definitely would've made some stops.

On the other hand, I am desperately missing the street duck and pork over there. Doesn't even come close in the states.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the blue SS PC is one of two AP's i would currently buy, maybe 3 if you consider the 15202 but i wouldn't want both the 15202 and the PC, I and prefer the PC. If it was easily attainable i would have it but its not, and at those price points ($61k last time i checked) i'm not really keen to hunt for it as its should not be as hard to find as it is.

I would not have gotten either of my ROO 44's if anyone had the SS PC. I love the offshores but i prefer the PC and it just got moved to the back burner as its hard to find. If my AD called me tomorrow with one, my 44's would be out the door.
I think Takuya has one for sale...Or he did as of last week
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 09:52 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
I think Takuya has one for sale...Or he did as of last week
i only buy new from AD, plus the import fees would be killer. I can't justify spending that much on a watch where im the second owner. AP UK will only supply my AD with PM PC's ive asked and possibly the white SS, but probably not.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:00 PM   #6
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i only buy new from AD, plus the import fees would be killer. I can't justify spending that much on a watch where im the second owner. AP UK will only supply my AD with PM PC's ive asked and possibly the white SS but probably not.
Is it not legal to fly in naked and go home with something on the wrist? I've heard of people suggesting that if it is just one piece for pleasure and not for distribution..not sure whether that is legal or not where you live though. I do recall a pilot's post of getting his BLNR taken away due to skipping out on VAT which is unfortunate. It's a damn personal watch!
Old 14 November 2017, 10:04 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Is it not legal to fly in naked and go home with something on the wrist? I've heard of people suggesting that if it is just one piece for pleasure and not for distribution..not sure whether that is legal or not where you live though. I do recall a pilot's post of getting his BLNR taken away due to skipping out on VAT which is unfortunate. It's a damn personal watch!
i suppose you could try to sneak it in, but im in the UK on a visa and if caught i don't really want to get deported back to the US. HMRC is scary.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:07 PM   #8
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... though in this case it’s a 60k personal watch!
Old 14 November 2017, 10:15 PM   #9
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As enthused as I am to see the blue SS, the way the moon phase pops on the white face is pretty amazing
Old 14 November 2017, 10:19 PM   #10
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear nothing but great things about AP AD's in HK. Too bad I wasn't an AP fanatic yet on my last trip to HK or I definitely would've made some stops.

On the other hand, I am desperately missing the street duck and pork over there. Doesn't even come close in the states.
I’ve been positively impressed by the AP ADs here (save for one, where one of the sales people felt that clipping his nails at his counter would add to the ambiance that encourages people to spend small-car amounts of money on time pieces!). It does speak to the benefit of the strategy of reigning in points of sale.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:19 PM   #11
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i suppose you could try to sneak it in, but im in the UK on a visa and if caught i don't really want to get deported back to the US. HMRC is scary.
I guess you could always save that play as a last hurrah move..though I don't see it really ever being logical
Old 14 November 2017, 10:21 PM   #12
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... though in this case it’s a 60k personal watch!
I was moreso shaking my fingers at the situation of the GMT2 BLNR that was confiscated for the personal watch situation. A personal watch with a value of 60k would definitely have a bit less room to wiggle out of
Old 14 November 2017, 10:47 PM   #13
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was moreso shaking my fingers at the situation of the GMT2 BLNR that was confiscated for the personal watch situation. A personal watch with a value of 60k would definitely have a bit less room to wiggle out of
Ahhhhh, I forgot ??!?
Old 14 November 2017, 10:51 PM   #14
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve been positively impressed by the AP ADs here (save for one, where one of the sales people felt that clipping his nails at his counter would add to the ambiance that encourages people to spend small-car amounts of money on time pieces!). It does speak to the benefit of the strategy of reigning in points of sale.
I don't what it is I have with AP ADs in HK - I've gotten ambivalent service at best from all of them, save for the IFC boutique. I was super impressed with their super friendly and warm service. They even recognized me in July and remembered my visit from March, what I was looking for, and the pieces I looked at. After I bought my 15202, they were totally cool with just showing me some of their really high-end pieces even though I made it clear I wasn't going to be buying.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 10:55 PM   #15
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hah, sounds just as scary as Canada Customs and I'm a Canadian citizen. I wouldn't dream of traveling in/out of the country with a piece where I don't have the full documentation it was bought in Canada or that taxes/duties were paid. I've read too many stories about people being caught with an undeclared watch and having to pay the taxes + a 70% fine to get the watch back. Plus you get the benefit of being searched every time you enter the country after that. And they can seize your watch until you can prove that the duties/taxes were paid. And even if you sneak the watch by Customs, people have been caught by Customs intercepting an empty watch box in the mail system - and they just show up at knocking at your door with a warrant.

Plenty of people sneak them by customs without issues, but people have told me I'm overly paranoid...
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:35 PM   #16
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Hah, sounds just as scary as Canada Customs and I'm a Canadian citizen. I wouldn't dream of traveling in/out of the country with a piece where I don't have the full documentation it was bought in Canada or that taxes/duties were paid. I've read too many stories about people being caught with an undeclared watch and having to pay the taxes + a 70% fine to get the watch back. Plus you get the benefit of being searched every time you enter the country after that. And they can seize your watch until you can prove that the duties/taxes were paid. And even if you sneak the watch by Customs, people have been caught by Customs intercepting an empty watch box in the mail system - and they just show up at knocking at your door with a warrant.

Plenty of people sneak them by customs without issues, but people have told me I'm overly paranoid...
Don’t mess with Canada Customs! I’m always very careful not to bust the import limits when I go there
Old 15 November 2017, 10:47 PM   #17
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

Canadian customs is beyond absurd. I am back and forth every few weeks on Nexus and still get harassed. My wife will not even come back anymore because the last two times she went she was pulled aside and interrogated. They had it in her head she was going to leave her job in NYC as a iBanker and work in MB! I'm sure that happens a lot.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 04:20 PM   #18
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Canadian customs is beyond absurd. I am back and forth every few weeks on Nexus and still get harassed. My wife will not even come back anymore because the last two times she went she was pulled aside and interrogated. They had it in her head she was going to leave her job in NYC as a iBanker and work in MB! I'm sure that happens a lot.

+1 Never been a fan of Canadian Customs. It's almost like they don't want you to visit.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 12:03 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I prefer simpler dial ROs I find, a chrono is as much as I like and preferably on a 41mm then, for more complicated I do prefer PP, esp the PCC range.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote