The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2020, 01:12 AM   #151
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Watch: JC Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Philosophically I find myself struggling with all the debates about the "moral" aspect of financial decision associated with Rolex watches.

As it is with speculation vs. investment in all financial instruments, in a real world I find it is often hard to draw a clean line between value seeking and profiteering in the watch hobby.

What is the distinction between financial speculation and investing, realistically?

If I bought Amazon stock in the hope of making financial gains from the stock appreciating in value, does that make me a speculator or investor?

Where does speculation end and investing start, and vice versa? More importantly, is one better or worse than the other?

Similarly, if I love mechanical watch and decide to buy a Rolex because of its reputation of holding value or even appreciating in value, does that make me at risk of becoming a watch profiteer, since I somehow have factored "financial value" into my buying decision?

Should I feel guilty or morally impure if somehow I bought a Rolex, wore it, and decided to part with it because someone offered me $3K more than I paid?

Again, where does profiteering end and value seeking start?
Good points. I think it's all a personal choice at the end of the day. I forgive some of the forceful, opinionated replies here as I can understand the "investment thread fatigue" and would guess a lot of us feel the way you do. We can only react to the market. If you bought a Daytona at retail and decided it wasn't for you then surely you sell it at the market rate be it the crazy premiums or in the distant past at less than retail.

For me Rolex represents a great brand, awesome history and I am of the era where it still represents a mile stone purchase. Value is important to me as to get to my current line up (SD16600, JCDS, SD43, Bluesy) I have gone through Pepsi 16701, YM 16622, TT Daytona and a vintage 5513. The great thing for me is I didn't lose any money on trading the watches that weren't for me to curate the collection. It has been like trying them out for free most of the time.

As much as I enjoy the timepieces I am acutely aware that with most other brands I would be out of pocket by quite a bit. That and I am yet to love many other brands as much as Rolex. Some have a great model or two but I find for consistency throughout their line up Rolex has me covered. Slight tangent but hopefully makes sense.
KingsTrumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:30 AM   #152
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
if you only see a watch as a commodity, then you dont really love it. you wont wear it, youll cram the forums with questions about “value,” youll whine every time you scratch your watch, and then of course you could flip a watch to make money.

or, you could invest in real estate, and make REAL money.

i could sell my entire collection of steel rolex for a significant profit, since i bought all of them at retail (or less!) but i would a) be blacklisted by my AD, b) lose credibility with myself, c) feel terrible for profiteering and swindling some idiot for his or her money, and d) not have the collection ive spent years building.

IT ISNT ABOUT MONEY. and if it is to you, youre on the wrong forum. IMHO.
Could have not said it better!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:51 AM   #153
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
Could have not said it better!
Old 27 February 2020, 02:15 AM   #154
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
Let someone buy it who would wear it, that's what watches were made for. Its people like you who are ruining this hobby.

This precisely

casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:36 AM   #155
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsTrumper View Post
Hi all,

Random scenario:

I have the option to buy a 2019 unworn Hulk. Grey at a premium but not excessive. I have some spare cash and I am wondering if it's worth picking up and gambling it will be discontinued and go up in price? {"Not an investment forum" people please feel free to leave now / post something nasty}

Notes: Money is only available for 6 months. Will only be sitting in the bank. Would not wear the watch as not a massive fan so this is a speculative buy.

Potential outcomes:

- Watch is discontinued and goes up in value
- Watch is discontinued and goes up in value but flooded market so not much profit
- Watch is upgraded with new movement, slight cosmetic changes. Value goes down
- Watch is not discontinued. Value drops
- Watch is not discontinued. Value stays the same
- Rolex announce partnership with Apple and cheap smart watches tank the market :)

Thoughts:

Obviously at MSRP it would be a no-brainer. I think the worry is unlike my collection that I wear daily it's not a watch I "have" to have and with a premium it's always a gamble. That said can only see a drop being £1,000 as if not discontinued can't see a huge drop.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
I'm glad someone decided to leave Rolex forum rules and oversight up to you. 78 posts in 9 months and you may or may not want a watch that you won't wear. You must be a real enthusiast.

Regardless it doesn't matter, unless you have a goal of losing money. The days of the large LVc premium will be gone very soon and will be near same price level as the LNc just as it was a few years back. The Asian demand is now gone, the market for these will collapse relatively speaking. IMO the watch market just hasn't caught up to the equity markets. Sell Sell Sell find another investment hobby.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 12:56 PM   #156
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Well put, and agree with you
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:19 PM   #157
John4C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
Let someone buy it who would wear it, that's what watches were made for. Its people like you who are ruining this hobby.
Yes. Thank you.
John4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:05 PM   #158
Henry.hoe
"TRF" Member

Buy it because you like it and not for investment. For investment you are 9 years too late.
Henry.hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:50 AM   #159
Yvette
"TRF" Member

If you have to ask about it, don't do it
Yvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 03:01 AM   #160
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsTrumper View Post
Of course you can. I think my point is, whilst I appreciate this is a forum for appreciating our time pieces, it has also become a place where if anyone asks a question related to value, investment, price or cost they are bombarded with hate. Even on innocent posts where newbies are simply asking if a rolex will retain value. If we put ourselves in their shoes this may be a huge purchase for them so they want to ensure if they needed to sell (perhaps they are stretching to buy) then they will not lose their shirt.

Admittedly this was a more blatant question about money but to your point of not being allowed to comment... Am I not allowed to post unless it's incoming, grail, gratuitous pic with my steering wheel in the background?

Again I do understand that we have more investment posts than people asking for a sub at an AD but I guess we don't have to read or reply. Hopefully this makes sense and is received in the reasonable manner it's intended as tone is impossible to judge in text.
Well said. Hating on posts - especially from newbies - only hurts the forum on an overall basis imo.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote