The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 March 2024, 11:49 AM   #61
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
There are also persons like Ratan Tata who owns one of the largest industrial conglomerates in India lives a simple and humble life.
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 12:02 PM   #62
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The flip side is that many ordinary people do look forward to the grandeur and the pomp and the splendour, these are not royalty but its the same principle as for millennia penniless peasants lined the streets to gawk at kingly processions of fields of cloth of gold, and my UK has processed far more than most, and it actually can give pride to the people when they see the world looking in awe at such an auspicious occasion in their country. Most Indians I know, like Americans, would look at their wealth as an inspiration and aspiration, while most Brits alas would roll their eyes and tut... and wish if only Diana were still here...
+1. Being simple doesn't serve the purpose always. Building their $2 billion dollar house and getting richest and powerful men grace their events in India does help the perception of the country and business opportunities which is unthinkable for many here.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 12:10 PM   #63
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
I do wonder if they'd be able to name the references of their watches when asked. You get the feeling it's all about one-upping one another with the next superlatively complicated timepiece.
Not really. Just to give a context. The groom wore the Patek Blue dial grand complication watch himself in his brother's wedding and now during his wedding, he's wearing the golden Patek grand complication and his brother is wearing that blue grand complication. So, his brother is as rich, why isn't he throwing away money to buy another one and repeating his brother's watch? Someone wrote above they have no sense of watches and similar pieces from floor to ceiling - then repeating or sharing watches wouldn't have happened.

Folks discuss as this huge but it's like 10% of the women's jewelry. The groom's mom wore a diamond emreald necklace which is worth $60 million dollars. Now, watches does look cheap. The Indian media is talking only about this and they don't care watches as much!

Old 9 March 2024, 03:58 PM   #64
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
"Let them eat roti..."
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 04:18 PM   #65
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I mean, the people in these pictures....it's just that they represent a return to the robber barons of the early industrial age, and the aristocracy of the medieval period.

So much poverty and pain and need in their respective countries (US, India, England, etc.) and such ostentatiousness for a wedding...they'll probably never wear these clothes and trinkets again.

As for the watches, extraordinary timepieces for a special occasion, I get it. But the sad thing is that they probably have a floor to ceiling safe full of similar timepieces. So how special are these that they are wearing....in a relative sense. I think I would have been more impressed if there was more constraint in what they wore.

I don't know....it just seems too much. And the groom....he just seems to scream gluttony.

Sorry, it just made me feel like this world does not have much more patience before something really big, and bad, will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I don't own a Patek, and I probably never will.

I get it. It's not like we discuss 3rd world problems here. But there are degrees of consumption, and that display is pretty extreme, especially in a country where desperate poverty, honor killings, gang rapes, and a rigid caste system are real problems.

Being sensitive isn't going the change that reality.

I have identified your problem based on one of your old posts.

I've really been pining for two models.......a Patek 5960R or the Grand Lange 1 (137.033).

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 11:49 PM   #66
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Too many detractors here. Seriously guys? We all know these watches are indeed created, they are rare and they are expensive. Who did you think was buying these? If they can’t buy and wear to a wedding, then when would you expect them to wear. Just admire the watches, drop the commentary and move on.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 01:38 AM   #67
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I have identified your problem based on one of your old posts.

I've really been pining for two models.......a Patek 5960R or the Grand Lange 1 (137.033).

Nailed it. The green eyed monster appears…
Watchdoyouwant? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 03:08 PM   #68
stefan
2024 Pledge Member

That wedding is all over the social media.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 04:10 AM   #69
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post
Nailed it. The green eyed monster appears…
I don't understand. I said I pined for those models, which I don't have (probably never will), and even used, is still pretty damn expensive.

What people do with their money is their business, but if they are going to conspicuously, and publicly, consume, then are they not open to criticism?
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:36 PM   #70
Goldilock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Too many detractors here. Seriously guys? We all know these watches are indeed created, they are rare and they are expensive. Who did you think was buying these? If they can’t buy and wear to a wedding, then when would you expect them to wear. Just admire the watches, drop the commentary and move on.
This
Goldilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 12:37 AM   #71
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I think it’s worth highlighting the folks who wear these incredibly expensive and hard to come by pieces. Like there was a lot of attention given to the people who got those Tiffany blue 5711s. And I think it’s also fine to make snippy comments, whether they happen to be owned by robber barons or state leaders or musicians. Especially in this particular forum, I wouldn’t expect to see any postings linking these items to humanitarians. The closest you can get to that is maybe to John or Paul or Ringo.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 12:45 AM   #72
Disaar
"TRF" Member

Honestly, all these watches are awful.
Disaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 06:51 AM   #73
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingAustin View Post
Is anyone surprised that a family with a 100bn net worth has rare watches? I'd be more surprised if they were wearing Seiko's.
This caught my attention. Just a fun fact, when the Marcos dictator fled the Philippines, he had to declare 65 Seiko and Cartier watches, among other things.
From Wikipedia:
When he fled to Hawaii by way of Guam,[281] he also brought with him 22 crates of cash valued at $717 million, 300 crates of assorted jewelry with undetermined value, $4 million worth of unset precious gems contained in Pampers diaper boxes, 65 Seiko and Cartier watches, a 12 by 4 ft box crammed full of real pearls, a 3 ft solid gold statue covered in diamonds and other precious stones, $200,000 in gold bullion and nearly $1 million in Philippine pesos, and deposit slips to banks in the US, Switzerland, and the Cayman Islands worth $124 million, which he all amassed during his dictatorship
rolexandlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:01 AM   #74
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingAustin View Post
Is anyone surprised that a family with a 100bn net worth has rare watches? I'd be more surprised if they were wearing Seiko's.
I concur. Wearing a Seiko rarity means style and good taste:

INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 09:26 PM   #75
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
I concur. Wearing a Seiko rarity means style and good taste:

Grand Seiko & Credor are not Seiko anymore. Surely, they are under the same parent company but it ain't the same.
Old 17 March 2024, 05:39 AM   #76
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Nice watches, but who is his tailor?...Mr. Magoo?
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote