The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2019, 06:08 AM   #61
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Room 101 View Post

Everyone who is worth ANYTHING, works damn hard.
Correct 100% .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:08 AM   #62
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
The bluesy is subtle in my opinion. If he was wearing a full gold sub it would definitely be questioned.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:11 AM   #63
calh22a
Banned

As a physician who has been through the training process, I would not recommend wearing a flashy Rolex as a resident. My concerns would center around how your attendings and senior residents perceive you. I guess it also depends on how far along he is in his residency. Is he an intern vs. senior resident vs fellow? If he shows up on his first day of internship with a flashy Rolex, he may get perceived negatively by his senior residents and attendings and may be treated poorly from the start, which could affect potential fellowships or jobs after training. If he was a sensor resident and has already paid his dues and is almost out of training, I’d probably encourage him to get the watch if he wants.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:24 AM   #64
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
As a physician who has been through the training process, I would not recommend wearing a flashy Rolex as a resident. My concerns would center around how your attendings and senior residents perceive you. I guess it also depends on how far along he is in his residency. Is he an intern vs. senior resident vs fellow? If he shows up on his first day of internship with a flashy Rolex, he may get perceived negatively by his senior residents and attendings and may be treated poorly from the start, which could affect potential fellowships or jobs after training. If he was a sensor resident and has already paid his dues and is almost out of training, I’d probably encourage him to get the watch if he wants.

I think this is so true. Not sure about the rest of this community, but wouldn’t finishing med school be the best time for such a reward?
Those who say their Rolex is a tool, will not care about the purchase at any age or point in life. Those that regard the brand as something special, definitely wait until the Rolex is earned and/or other financial commitments have been met.

For the OP, one is thing is for sure, doctors in the US are able and kind of expected to live flashy or affluent lifestyles.
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:42 AM   #65
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I’m a doctor. My patients sit a metre away from me. Obviously I have to get very close to them and in fact a watch is an almost essential tool for me as measuring heart and respiratory rates requires measurement of the passage of time, so my patients see me staring at my watch as I examine them regularly. I’ve been doing the gig for 10 years and have worn watches some of which are even more lairy than a Rolex (a large orange bezeled PO being the most garish). I see about 120 patients a week so a quick calculation would suggest I’ve performed about 60000 consultations in that time. I think my watch has been commented on maybe two or three times? If it’s more I don’t recall. One was because the patient was actually wearing an identical orange PO and I’ve certainly never had a negative comment.

Honestly, nobody cares.
Bingo. I wear my Bluesy to work all the time. In front of my superiors ALL the time. No one gives a shit. I would expect my work talent and ethics to define who I am not what is strapped to my wrist. AND if they did discriminate me because of my clothes or watch I would let them know and probably leave as obviously they have no respect for you as a person.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:51 AM   #66
doramas
Banned

1. Get the 116613LB and wear it at work.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:53 AM   #67
Seattle911
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 43, Daytona
What specialty? I take my watch off when I scrub for the OR but I could see how some people wouldn't like the added hassle
Old 14 January 2019, 06:58 AM   #68
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
In my neck of the woods, there is a no watch jewellery below the elbow policy in our hospitals. This is because of a genuine risk of infection.
Especially if they are working at the bedside.

It's more relaxed for a non-clinical situation.

As a nurse working in admin/clinical design, my wife is fortunate that she can wear what she likes at work.
But with doctors being required to be hands on there is no jewellery permitted.
Except for a solid wedding band with no setting to minimize the risk of spreading infection.
Besides incompetence, lack of skill, and not following processes, infection is the single biggest risk factor.
I would think no watch at all is by far the best practice.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:59 AM   #69
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
As a resident, I don't think there is any issue wearing a Rolex. I think people don't like seeing their successful professionals flaunt expensive watches and cars with money they have paid to them.

On the other hand, I have lawyer client's that like to flaunt their cars and watches to show prospective clients that they are very successful at what they do. I don't think people want to see the opposite either, Their doctor, lawyer, CPA wearing a cheap timex and driving a 10 year old Chevrolet.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 07:02 AM   #70
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Wow lots of replies here!
My advice would be for your brother to get it if he likes it, but expect that if he wears at work his co-residents, while not saying so aloud, will think it’s a bit showy and weird. Most medical residents start residency with tons of debt, earn a terrible salary, and can’t afford a Rolex. Advice from anyone who has not gone through internship and residency training probably should be taken w a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #71
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Physician here. I wore my first Rolex as an intern at a military hospital where attendings and patients don’t make a whole lot of money. Only one person ever commented on my watch and they did so in a positive fashion. In the years since, the only people who have commented on my watches have been individuals who also were wearing high end pieces.

No one really cares or notices. This preoccupation with potentially offending others by wearing a nice watch says more about the wearer than it does about people who might notice. If I ever came across a patient who was upset by the car I drove or the watch I wore, they can see another doctor or learn to live with it. I take care of people who drive nicer cars than me and wear more expensive watches, should I ask them to leave my practice?

Build a bridge and get over it.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 12:48 PM   #72
Johnnie Peh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 44 SS 44 RG.
Seriously I would say wear what you like and forget about what other thinks of it
Johnnie Peh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 01:13 PM   #73
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Most wont care or notice. As a resident all I had was a seiko. I was always mesmerized by the attendings/chiefs who wore nice watches. If he has the scratch he should do it.
fastmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 01:21 PM   #74
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
When I was a resident physician, I mostly wore Seikos and kept my submariner at home. Since becoming an attending physician, I added a couple more Rolex watches to the collection and wear them proudly.
Old 14 January 2019, 01:27 PM   #75
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I used to care because I thought people would notice. Over the past 10 years in the hobby, the only people who notice are other watch guys, ADs, and gold diggers.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 02:31 PM   #76
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Get it and wear it life is to short.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:56 PM   #77
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I hate these threads that point out that people are judged on their choice of watch, or are afraid to be. Life is far too short to buy a watch you love and leave it in a safe so as not to potentially offend anyone. Whats the point in purchasing it in the first place if thats the case?
Old 14 January 2019, 07:03 PM   #78
DP63
"TRF" Member

I have to add to this as I've just seen a thread on Instagram about the new Roger Dubuis Excaliur One Off, the watch inspired by the Lamborginin SC and priced at €1,000,000, and it looks like a Casio Pro-Trek on steroids (to me), which in turn leads me to point out that nobody (outside of the WIS world) would second glance at it compared to a 4 figure Rolex, yet the Rolex wearer is the one who would be judged ... hahahaha .... if that doesnt show how pathetic it is to judge someone on their choice of time piece, I'm at a loss.
Old 14 January 2019, 07:06 PM   #79
DP63
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2019, 07:11 PM   #80
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
My brother is a medical resident who loves the 116613LB and wants to get it.

However, he wouldn’t want to wear it to work, because he is worried that such a flashy watch would send the wrong message to patients as well as his superiors. And what’s the point of buying an expensive watch that you can’t even wear often? So, he’s thinking that the more low-key SS black Sub, which he likes but not as much as the 116613LB, may be the better choice.

What do you guys think? Are his worries valid, or should he just get the watch he really wants and not worry about wearing it at work?

Essentially he has 3 options:

1. Get the 116613LB and wear it at work.
2. Get the 116613LB but don’t wear it at work.
3. Get a SS black sub (and wear it at work).

I figured I’d post this on his behalf, because I know this community is full of wisdom and good ideas.

All of your thoughts are appreciated.
Is it any secret doctors are well compensated? I think if anything, I’d be glad to see my doctor wearing a Rolex as he must be doing something right...
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 07:26 PM   #81
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Bingo. I wear my Bluesy to work all the time. In front of my superiors ALL the time. No one gives a shit. I would expect my work talent and ethics to define who I am not what is strapped to my wrist. AND if they did discriminate me because of my clothes or watch I would let them know and probably leave as obviously they have no respect for you as a person.
Exactly
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 07:29 PM   #82
chris12
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB HULK 116610LV
How about considering creating one more option if that is possible and just buy both watches and wear them wherever you want. You only have one life to live so live it and enjoy the fruits of your hard work and labor.
chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 08:15 PM   #83
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
This topic was some rollercoaster of comments,

Im just going to say we can only guide so much, the final decision is his and only his to make.

But do take some of these comments into mind, there are some well said ones here.

All the best to your bro!

Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 09:40 PM   #84
Robertolewis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
After 15 years of wearing Rolex in many different blue and white collar situations, I have to tell you, at least in my experience, no one really cares.

Put on a stainless sub and go to work. Maybe...maybe with a Daytona or something with polished links but even still.

I wore a Deep Sea for a while and got comments on the size, never the brand.

Unless that person is a watch person in particular a Rolex lover it has no effect and if that person is a Rolex lever then you have a few minutes of good convo and they won't judge you anyway because...they get it.

Wear em!
Robertolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 10:16 PM   #85
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would get what I wanted and wear it and enjoy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 10:30 PM   #86
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

It depends.

But if you have to ask...

Everybody here comes from different backgrounds, works in different fields, and has different coworkers, supervisors, clients. So it depends.

I’ve been in places where flashy watches and cars would hinder you professionally. And other places where it doesn’t matter and was seen as a sign of success meant to be celebrated.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 11:39 PM   #87
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
My GP wears a DJ and drives a Jaguar XKR
My solicitor wears an IWC drives a new Mercedes S class

Do still I still them?
Of course.

Do I care about what they have?
NO

As long as they are good at their jobs then I’ll continue to use them until they retire.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 11:58 PM   #88
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I had the LB and it's a beautiful watch. I sold it because it was just too flashy for me.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:08 AM   #89
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I certainly would not buy a watch with a caveat that I will only wear it out in certain situations etc, nor would I buy a different watch because of this. Buy the one you want and forgot about what others might think. There are countless thousands of Rolex out there, the vast majority of which probably go unnnoticed by most people. There are also many watches out there from various manufacturers that look close enough to Rolex as to make little or no difference.

I have been wearing various Rolex for close on 30 years now and can still probably count on one hand the number of times anyone has commented, and indeed I cannot recall the last time. Just buy them and enjoy them!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:14 AM   #90
Tallgeese
"TRF" Member

Obviously spending $10K+ on a watch isn't everyone's cup of tea and I totally get that. To me though, if I was ever approached about my desire to have a Rolex on my wrist in a professional environment, my response would be that spending $10K on a Rolex is less frivolous than taking out a loan for a car you can't afford and/or spending $20K+ on a commuter vehicle. The biggest difference is my watch doesn't lose 20% of its value the second I take it out of the AD.
Tallgeese is offline   Reply With Quote