The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 September 2020, 10:36 PM   #1
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Shipping options - insurance

Looking to ship a watch from UK to US.

Was exploring some usual options (DHL, FedEx etc) including insurance which is approx 1.5% of item value, but it seems that virtually everyone excludes “jewellery” and in some case expressly “watches”.

Does anyone have experience/tips on how to ship with appropriate insurance in place for a steel watch worth a few thousand £/$\€?

I’ve found some standalone policies online such as secursus, but don’t know how trustworthy something like that is.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #2
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
There are probably a couple options via UPS (who now own Parcel Pro). USPS International Registered Mail may be an option if available in your area (and expedited delivery is not required).
Or, maybe look into 3rd party brokers like Ferrari Group, etc.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 08:42 AM   #3
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Never trust USPS with a high value item, especially at this time, FedEx is your best option, even without insurance...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 08:45 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Jewelry and watches have specific duties and taxes, so some shippers just don't ship them. Too much trouble.

If you are concerned with insurance, you may need to have an independent, such as Parce lPro.
Old 2 September 2020, 09:32 AM   #5
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Never trust USPS with a high value item, especially at this time, FedEx is your best option, even without insurance...
USPS Registered Mail is probably the most secure option available, and items (including watches) are insurable up to $50k the last time I checked.

I would never send a high-dollar watch via FedEx or other common carrier unless you purchase 3rd party insurance. UPS is the exception, as they now own one of the most popular 3rd-party shipping insurers (Parcel pro).
If you go into a UPS Store location, they will insure any jewelry item / watch up to $50k. The only caveat there is that they require you to bring in the item so they can pack/box it up to their standards.
They also require it to be shipped via Air service which can be expensive, even before the cost of additional insurance.

Old 2 September 2020, 10:05 AM   #6
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
I use them(USPS) all the time, never an issue. I ship high priced items.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 10:13 AM   #7
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
USPS Registered Mail is probably the most secure option available, and items (including watches) are insurable up to $50k the last time I checked.

I would never send a high-dollar watch via FedEx or other common carrier unless you purchase 3rd party insurance. UPS is the exception, as they now own one of the most popular 3rd-party shipping insurers (Parcel pro).
If you go into a UPS Store location, they will insure any jewelry item / watch up to $50k. The only caveat there is that they require you to bring in the item so they can pack/box it up to their standards.
They also require it to be shipped via Air service which can be expensive, even before the cost of additional insurance.

I have had 3 incoming packages "lost" by registered mail (2 at the LA sort facility and one went out for delivery and then disappeared into oblivion)... when the shipper went to go file his claim they asked him to prove that whatever was in the box was worth what he insured it for... it was not a cut and dry process and on one occasion USPS asked to see proof of the refund they issued me in order to pay out to him... I filed claims with the Office of the Inspector General and never got called back or heard anything even after noting that it was my 3rd time with the same situation happening... Registered mail is horrible because the handlers know that there is obviously something valuable in the box if it is being shipped registered (even worse if it is a small package, an obvious tip off for jewelry, gold coins, or anything that can be easily concealed)... on one occasion where a registered package went missing and I actually was able to find a USPS employee willing to help me, he drove it my house in his plain clothes when he finally found it in the wrong cage, it was definitely odd... maybe it's an LA thing because if you google search registered mail (at least in Los Angeles) you will see that they chronically fail inspections due to unlocked doors, mail being left out in the open, etc. and if you ever visit the Los Angeles Sort Facility you would wonder how any mail ever makes it to your mailbox... I have been shipping with FedEx for 10 years and haven't even had a delayed package in that time... Registered mail can also take anywhere up to 45 days (which they don't tell you until your package is already lost) and they won't even begin to "look for it" until its been at least 21 days...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 11:33 AM   #8
southtexas

Quote:
I have had 3 incoming packages "lost" by registered mail (2 at the LA sort facility and one went out for delivery and then disappeared into oblivion)... when the shipper went to go file his claim they asked him to prove that whatever was in the box was worth what he insured it for... it was not a cut and dry process and on one occasion USPS asked to see proof of the refund they issued me in order to pay out to him... I filed claims with the Office of the Inspector General and never got called back or heard anything even after noting that it was my 3rd time with the same situation happening... Registered mail is horrible because the handlers know that there is obviously something valuable in the box if it is being shipped registered (even worse if it is a small package, an obvious tip off for jewelry, gold coins, or anything that can be easily concealed)... on one occasion where a registered package went missing and I actually was able to find a USPS employee willing to help me, he drove it my house in his plain clothes when he finally found it in the wrong cage, it was definitely odd... maybe it's an LA thing because if you google search registered mail (at least in Los Angeles) you will see that they chronically fail inspections due to unlocked doors, mail being left out in the open, etc. and if you ever visit the Los Angeles Sort Facility you would wonder how any mail ever makes it to your mailbox... I have been shipping with FedEx for 10 years and haven't even had a delayed package in that time... Registered mail can also take anywhere up to 45 days (which they don't tell you until your package is already lost) and they won't even begin to "look for it" until its been at least 21 days...

X2 for FedEx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 01:25 PM   #9
x2046
"TRF" Member

I've used both Parcelpro and Securus. Parcelpro will probably only insure you if you're sending it from a company. I've used securus but no claims so far. They seem legit though.
Old 2 September 2020, 02:22 PM   #10
rolehex

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post

Agree. I always have used Registered USPS for all valuables.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 07:49 AM   #11
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my subs
not having much luck with USPS lately.
kind of freaked out when RSC specified USPS Registered for
shipping to them. Its not like you can just go to the AD and replace the watch.
I did have UPS get a watch from ARLINGTON TX to Cape Cod in 17 hours though.
arguscanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 08:04 AM   #12
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I am afraid that currently USPS isn’t a secure option. Hate saying that.
Old 3 September 2020, 08:21 AM   #13
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Managed to go with DHL - their insurance (1.5% of value) covers watches up to €5k (which this is). Thanks for all the tips though!
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 04:35 PM   #14
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhtred59 View Post
I am afraid that currently USPS isn’t a secure option. Hate saying that.
Just to clarify (again), that I wouldn't dream of sending a high dollar watch via "standard" (Priority or First Class) USPS services. Their Registered Mail service is completely different however.
All packages are under lock and key at all times, with a strict chain-of-custody. Each package has to be signed for with ID badge at each transfer point.
There is a reason that USPS Registered Mail is an RSC requirement.
Old 3 September 2020, 05:29 PM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I’ve used FedEx. If necessary ask the person buying to arrange shipping and send label. I’ve found this works better and cheaper and also puts onus on them to insure to a level they’re comfortable with.
Old 4 September 2020, 07:49 AM   #16
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I’ve used FedEx. If necessary ask the person buying to arrange shipping and send label. I’ve found this works better and cheaper and also puts onus on them to insure to a level they’re comfortable with.
The issue with FedEx is that they limit the declared value for jewelry items (including watches) to $1000.
They do have a "Declared Value Advantage" program that you can enroll in, which raises that limit to $100k (domestically) but not everyone has a need (or qualifies) for that program.
So if that is not an option, one would need to purchase 3rd party insurance for 100% liability coverage.

Old 13 September 2020, 03:59 AM   #17
mattmatt
"TRF" Member

I purchased a watch in July 2020
and it was shipped registered mail by USPS. The tracking location was not accurate and rarely updated. The package arrived 4 days after it was supposed to arrive... and worst of all, I wasted my time and my families time waiting at home to sign for it, when we never knew when it would arrive. Perhaps worse was the fact that it was left in my mailbox and no signature was asked for or provided. Never again!
mattmatt is offline   Reply With Quote