Watch: SD43
I prefer Rolex to Panerai.
I prefer Omega to Panerai.
I prefer IWC to Panerai.
I prefer Casio to Panerai.
I prefer Timex to Panerai.
I prefer Apple Watch to Panerai.
I prefer my iPhone to Panerai.
I prefer a quartz wall clock from Target to Panerai.

I purchased a new PAM1320 a couple years ago. It was the worst $9,000 I've ever spent. The watch looked great, but it kept horrible, horrible time. Started losing 30+ seconds/day right out of the shoot. By the time I brought it back for service, the AD removed all Panerai watches from his store because he was so sick of dealing with all the issues and complaints from customers. To make matters worse, it was a b&$@h to sell. Nine out of ten grey dealers made it clear they had zero interest purchasing or trading if a Panerai was involved.....before they even heard which model or the price. The 10th grey traded for it, but I took it up the you know what. I will never purchase another Panerai. Ever. That being said, my answer is obviously the BLNR......or even a miniature sundial.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 09:01 AM   #33
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nice_watch View Post
I go through the same issue almost everyday. I’m still missing my Tudor LHD, Omega Hodinkee, Omega Ultraman and my Pam 305

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great collection. I had a very similar collection 4-5 years ago. I never thought I'd say it, but I purged down to one. It took me 4-5 years (finally down to one about a month ago), but I did it.
Old 5 October 2019, 09:07 AM   #34
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I have many of both. The Panerai is more rugged as it’s a strap watch so no buckle/bracelet stress if that is a factor. A 44mm Pam is as comfortable as a 40mm Rolex. Once again it’s a strap factor.
If you up your Panerai game and go Carbotech then the Panerai wins every level of rugged and comfort simply because it doesn’t scratch and is feather lite weight. Panerai’s new P.9010 in-house movement is outstanding on every level.

Hands down the most comfortable watch I have ever worn at any price point.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 09:20 AM   #35
TMore9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Both are great pieces!

I have a Ceramic Daytona and a BLNR... I tend to chose based on what matches my outfit on that particular day. Seems to be a good way to keep giving each one fair amount of wrist time.
Old 5 October 2019, 09:32 AM   #36
porky51
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
Great collection. I had a very similar collection 4-5 years ago. I never thought I'd say it, but I purged down to one. It took me 4-5 years (finally down to one about a month ago), but I did it.
Do you mind sharing which one watch did you kept?
porky51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 09:42 AM   #37
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky51 View Post
Do you mind sharing which one watch did you kept?
I don't mind at all. My one and only is an SD43. In my opinion, it's the absolute perfect Rolex for me. I've genuinely loved all my Rolexes......every single one, but none have hit me like the SD43. Perfect size, balance, fit, finish, etc for me. Thanks for asking, Porky!
Old 5 October 2019, 09:51 AM   #38
SwissWatchCraze
"TRF" Member

Every Panerai looks the same. In my opinion they are a dying breed.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
SwissWatchCraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 10:41 AM   #39
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I would love to add a PAM 88 to my collection some day. As soon as the current collection I am envisioning gets completed.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 02:00 PM   #40
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Big fan of both. Why pick one?
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 04:01 PM   #41
makak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here are the 3 watches that keeps me contemplating every morning. The Daytona is reserved for special occasions and weekends.
What model Panerai is this? I really like it. God it dwarves the Daytona
makak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 04:06 PM   #42
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Easy algorithm for me: if long sleeve shirt then BLNR, if short sleeve shirt then Panerai.
Can’t agree with you more...
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 04:19 PM   #43
porky51
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makak View Post
What model Panerai is this? I really like it. God it dwarves the Daytona
It's Pam 1321. Yes, it dwarfs the Daytona. It feels weird switching from the Pam to Daytona. Feels like it's way too small.
Old 5 October 2019, 04:25 PM   #44
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Often having the same hesitation. And find myself wearing a Rolex over Pam. 44 mm looks a bit oversized and ergonomically wise as a foreign body over my wrist.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 04:39 PM   #45
makak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's Pam 1321. Yes, it dwarfs the Daytona. It feels weird switching from the Pam to Daytona. Feels like it's way too small.
If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see the PAM next to the BLNR or a Sub if you have one? Top down shot to get a comparison of size. Panerai site says it's a 44mm but it looks huge.

My dilemma is I have 8" flat wrists. I love my sub but it does look small. Bought a Sinn U212 which is 47mm with short lugs, and even that doesn't look big on me.
makak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 04:57 PM   #46
porky51
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makak View Post
If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see the PAM next to the BLNR or a Sub if you have one? Top down shot to get a comparison of size. Panerai site says it's a 44mm but it looks huge.

My dilemma is I have 8" flat wrists. I love my sub but it does look small. Bought a Sinn U212 which is 47mm with short lugs, and even that doesn't look big on me.
I'll
Take some pictures tomorrow. Have you tried the Pam Submersible models? They're 47mm. I was thinking about getting that next. But, I'm afraid that I won't be able to wear my Rolex anymore because they'll feel too small.
Old 5 October 2019, 05:11 PM   #47
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Although it does not get worn 1/10 as often as my sd43 Sea Dweller, I have the Panerai 025 submersible in titanium at 44mm, and it is the most comfortable watch that I own. Also it’s a 2008 model and still keeps perfect time. So I have to give it to Panerai - at least the older models like this one. It’s like a tank and well designed in terms of comfort given its size.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 05:19 PM   #48
porky51
"TRF" Member

This is exactly how I feel about my Panerai. It's ginormous but it is the most comfortable watch that I have. Especially with a leather strap. I don't get it. How could it be more comfortable than my BLNR? After wearing a Pam, I can't seem to feel comfortable with the BLNR.
Old 5 October 2019, 06:00 PM   #49
emtee
"TRF" Member

I have a non gmt Panerai and BLNR. The Panerai is great with short sleeves but a pain with long sleeves due to its thickness. BLNR is perfect for pretty much any outfit/occasion.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 07:00 PM   #50
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Curious of what others prefer for daily wear. A Panerai GMT or BLNR. And why?
I prefer a Casio over a Panerai.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 07:04 PM   #51
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

I traded my Panerai to a DJ41 . Best decision ever!
And I will never get another Panerai

♛ Deepsea JC2 126660
♛ Milgauss Black Dial 116400GV
♛ GMT Master II 126710BLNR
chriswang0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 09:11 PM   #52
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
You have both, so just enjoy both day to day depending on how you feel.
I've had the PAM sickness before so I know the decision can be tough.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 10:20 PM   #53
nick c
Banned

Quote:
I prefer IWC to Panerai.
I prefer Casio to Panerai.
I prefer Timex to Panerai.
I prefer Apple Watch to Panerai.
I prefer my iPhone to Panerai.
I prefer a quartz wall clock from Target to Panerai.

I purchased a new PAM1320 a couple years ago. It was the worst $9,000 I've ever spent. The watch looked great, but it kept horrible, horrible time. Started losing 30+ seconds/day right out of the shoot. By the time I brought it back for service, the AD removed all Panerai watches from his store because he was so sick of dealing with all the issues and complaints from customers. To make matters worse, it was a b&$@h to sell. Nine out of ten grey dealers made it clear they had zero interest purchasing or trading if a Panerai was involved.....before they even heard which model or the price. The 10th grey traded for it, but I took it up the you know what. I will never purchase another Panerai. Ever. That being said, my answer is obviously the BLNR......or even a miniature sundial.
For one purchase and one bad luck you don’t need to bash panerai for that. Yesterday I had to fix my Rolex submariner costing me $450 so I need to say it’s crap? No
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2019, 10:28 PM   #54
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post

I prefer Rolex to panerai?. No because I own both

And by far I prefer panerai to omega.
Old 5 October 2019, 10:30 PM   #55
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I have many of both. The Panerai is more rugged as it’s a strap watch so no buckle/bracelet stress if that is a factor. A 44mm Pam is as comfortable as a 40mm Rolex. Once again it’s a strap factor.
If you up your Panerai game and go Carbotech then the Panerai wins every level of rugged and comfort simply because it doesn’t scratch and is feather lite weight. Panerai’s new P.9010 in-house movement is outstanding on every level.

Hands down the most comfortable watch I have ever worn at any price point.

Spot on
Old 6 October 2019, 03:00 AM   #56
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
For one purchase and one bad luck you don’t need to bash panerai for that. Yesterday I had to fix my Rolex submariner costing me $450 so I need to say it’s crap? No
To each his/her own, Nick C. Yes, I do need to bash Panerai. It was a combination of the God-awful Panerai I wasted my money on along with the fact it took me 10 grey dealers who told me they had zero interest and no longer take on any Panerai watches before I could even spit out which model I wanted to get rid of which gave me a pretty good indication of the quality a Panerai owner gets for his/her money. If you don't like my evaluation Nick C., Jimmy cracked corn and I truly don't care. I will stand on my soapbox and shout my story out every. single. time I see a Panerai post in the Rolex Forum. I care about everyone in this forum, and human beings in general, and if I can save one person the pain, misery, and frustration of owning one, it's a win in my book. That being said, comparing the cumulative maintenance issues of a Sub vs that of a Panerai is about as as I've seen on this forum. Good day.
Old 6 October 2019, 03:12 AM   #57
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

If it makes you feel any better, the new Panerai Carbotech models resale value are outstanding right under Rolex. Limited supply, exotic material, halo level, and rare in general has them holding very strong resale value. I found the issue is owners don’t part with them. P.9010 has a 80hr Power Reserve and holds a +1 second a day accuracy.

Panerai’s watch structure has many different levels/price points unlike Rolex so it’s hard to generalize about the brand unless you’re talking about a particular watch or level within the brand.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 03:18 AM   #58
nick c
Banned

Quote:
To each his/her own, Nick C. Yes, I do need to bash Panerai. It was a combination of the God-awful Panerai I wasted my money on along with the fact it took me 10 grey dealers who told me they had zero interest and no longer take on any Panerai watches before I could even spit out which model I wanted to get rid of which gave me a pretty good indication of the quality a Panerai owner gets for his/her money. If you don't like my evaluation Nick C., Jimmy cracked corn and I truly don't care. I will stand on my soapbox and shout my story out every. single. time I see a Panerai post in the Rolex Forum. I care about everyone in this forum, and human beings in general, and if I can save one person the pain, misery, and frustration of owning one, it's a win in my book. That being said, comparing the cumulative maintenance issues of a Sub vs that of a Panerai is about as as I've seen on this forum. Good day.

I own 5 panerai and very happy with them. There are built solid. I think you are just a hater that try to buy one panerai and you ‏bought the wrong reference because you didn’t do your homework. Anyways panerai doesn’t need hater like you. Have a good day.

Old 6 October 2019, 03:26 AM   #59
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I own 5 panerai and very happy with them. There are built solid. I think you are just a hater that try to buy one panerai and you ‏bought the wrong reference because you didn’t do your homework. Anyways panerai doesn’t need hater like you. Have a good day.

Call me a hater all you want Nick C because it's true. I am a hater on one thing. I hate Panerai's. If I have to do my homework because certain references are garbage then I think my hate and disdain are warranted. It really, really upsets me that you disagree with my opinion and have resorted to calling me names.
Old 6 October 2019, 03:35 AM   #60
Dsl55
Banned

Quote:
Call me a hater all you want Nick C because it's true. I am a hater on one thing. I hate Panerai's. If I have to do my homework because certain references are garbage then I think my hate and disdain are warranted. It really, really upsets me that you disagree with my opinion and have resorted to calling me names.
Cry baby much?
Dsl55 is offline   Reply With Quote