The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 23 October 2007, 12:17 PM   #1
the dentist

Has anyone bought a Rolex from this ebay seller?

Hello everyone...I just want to say that this forum has a lot of great information and the people on here seem to be very informative and helpful...Because of rolexforums.com I bought my fiance a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Lady-Datejust from Alan Furman which was a great buy...Now, I am looking for a Rolex for myself but I was wondering if anyone has had any POSITIVE experience with purchasing a Rolex watch from this particular seller on ebay...
(This is the watch I am thinking about purchasing.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROLEX-SS-WG-...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller has 100% positive feedback. I know there are some of you that will say to stay away from ebay, but I would like to hear only the people that have actually had any experience with this particular seller on ebay.

thank you for all the great information and comments...
the dentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2007, 08:03 PM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

First of all great gift for you fiance!

Please show a pic of it!

I wonder why you just don't buy from Alan Furman again now that the previous deal went smoothly and to your satisfaction

Anyway, can CAN make very good deals on eBay, too! Just ask Al ("Alcan") here! He would confirm this and maybe show some pics of the NICE finds he make on "The Bay".

About the specific eBay seller you are asking about: Personally, I have never bought a watch on eBay, and I don't know this seller, but as you say he has good feedback and the watch SHOWN (not ALWAYS necessarily what you GET, mind you!) is definately a REAL Rolex! And it is a beautiful one, indeed!

I would ask the seller some questions (via "Ask The Seller" button) and see how he communicates (and IF he communicates!). That way you get a feel of the seller.

"Buy the seller first, and then the watch!" is a good motto when buying from "Grey" dealers.

Good luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2007, 05:31 AM   #3
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc300tt View Post
Hello everyone...I just want to say that this forum has a lot of great information and the people on here seem to be very informative and helpful...Because of rolexforums.com I bought my fiance a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Lady-Datejust from Alan Furman which was a great buy...Now, I am looking for a Rolex for myself but I was wondering if anyone has had any POSITIVE experience with purchasing a Rolex watch from this particular seller on ebay...
(This is the watch I am thinking about purchasing.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROLEX-SS-WG-...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller has 100% positive feedback. I know there are some of you that will say to stay away from ebay, but I would like to hear only the people that have actually had any experience with this particular seller on ebay.

thank you for all the great information and comments...
Just a word of caution not meant to generate panic but to heighten your senses on these deals.

Bought a Panerai 233 for $11,450 from an eBay seller with 7 years experience and 100% feedback. As has been said, the pics shown mean nothing. In fact, I'm astonished by those selling fakes on eBay actually being so stupid as to show it as opposed to a real one.
Anyway, my heart sank intially when I got the tracking info. He was supposed to reside in San Diego, but the package shipped from Penang, Malaysia. It really sucked to discover a crappy knock-off of a TAG sent, obviouly just to prove something was mailed and received.
That's where I lost faith in eBay and PayPal. Both would not even allow a formalized complaint until a number of days transpired. If you get ANYTHING from the seller, it's deemed a minor spat over the material condition. Neither of the two were even slightly interested in trying to stop payment to the seller. Nor would they even reveal any information or correspondence from the seller to them that might have helped me. Fortunately, AMEX initiated a charge back for $10K and PayPal finally had met their match. So I lost $1,450 bucks ( from my checking acct) on the deal.
As a result, I will never buy another expensive item via eBay. In most cases I try to use eBay stores whenever possible. Yes, 99.9% of all folks selling things on eBay are legitimate, but watch fraud is a major problem these days. I have seen obvious AP ROO frauds that many of us have complained about only to see them eventually sold rather than removed.
With no help promised from eBay, I no longer take any chances. I buy what I can afford from an AD. It's another reason why I'll probably never get a SS Daytona, as I refuse to go grey market or personal sale.

Sorry for the lecture, but if it saves you or others a little pain it will be worth it.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2007, 05:44 AM   #4
Floridadogg

Watch: 116520 & 116523
I have been told from my AD that the "reputable" ebay sellers can be stung themselves and then it is passed on to you. They buy from all sources, especially China, and movements have been exchanged, old cases polished etc etc ad infinitum. I have seen some great fakes that are actually worth more as fakes than these Frankenwatches are worth.......especially when you are paying upwards of $10,000.0. My advice to ME...........Don't buy on FLEABAY.
Floridadogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2007, 09:29 AM   #5
the dentist

Spacedweller, BigHat, and Floridadogg....thank you for the wonderful replies...I decided that I am going to buy my Rolex at Alan Furman again. I just thought that if some people on this message board had experience with this ebay seller that I might give it a try and save a few hundred dollars. I will be driving to Alan Furman tomorrow to pay purchase my watch so hopefully I will get it in 1 wk or so...I will post pictures of both my watch and my fiance's watch once I receive mine.

thank you again for the responses..
William
Old 24 October 2007, 09:42 AM   #6
SeaGoer

Watch: TT YM, TT GMT IIC
check out the AD within a few miles from Alan Furman's store; you may be pleasantly surprised.
SeaGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 08:53 AM   #7
the dentist

I ended up buying my Rolex at Alan Furman and I am very pleased with my purchase. Here is a pic of my purchases...thank you everyone for helping me make my decision...
Old 25 October 2007, 10:41 AM   #8
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
Ebay is a tough call

and

welcome to the forum
Old 25 October 2007, 11:41 AM   #9
bigmikebee
"TRF" Member

ive bought and sold on ebay. herd of more people getting ripped off then people who made a good deal. love the new watches!!! good luck w/ them
bigmikebee is offline   Reply With Quote