The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 September 2018, 05:45 AM   #31
function12
"TRF" Member

Buy the insurance. A lot of new and renewed auto policies now excluded high end rentals when they are NOT a "replacement" for your listed car. Credit card are doing the same thing these days.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 06:11 AM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Only if you get the 488 lol
Old 15 September 2018, 06:12 AM   #33
F1polesitter
"TRF" Member

Don't do it, unless you're just going for the image of driving an exotic. You won't get to experience much on public roads.

If you want to experience performance, spend the $1500 at a track. I did that a few years back and it was the best $1500 I've spent. Walked away grinning ear to ear.
F1polesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 06:21 AM   #34
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Old 15 September 2018, 08:42 AM   #35
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Are they still offering that? I thought they stopped civilian flights last year.
Still available when I went on the Baltic cruise summer this year.

For the amount that they were charging, I’d rather get a PM Rolex.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 08:45 AM   #36
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I paid like 1k for Range Rover driving school at the Greenbriar. Don't know if they still do it.
Man, I rented a Range Rover for 4 days recently and it cost me less than half that.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 09:36 AM   #37
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
can I expense it?
My thoughts exactly.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 06:54 AM   #38
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I did it about 13 yrs ago in Vegas. It was about 1000 for 24 hrs and it was the time of my life. I am a car guy and not a gambler, so instead of burning money at the tables I rented a Ferrari for 24hrs. I drove it with the roof down through the desert, stopped at Hoover Dam and on tothe Grand Canyon. Some of the best memories. Then, went and met all my buddies at the club in valet and had a crazy night with a grand finale picking up some chick from Chicago. Priceless. Should have seen her face when we walked out to valet at the end of the night and saw the Ferrari. Anyway. Did not sleep a wink that night, so basically I defienetly got my moneys worth in 24hrs. Do it. It will stay in the memory bank for a lifetime.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:25 AM   #39
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I did it about 13 yrs ago in Vegas. It was about 1000 for 24 hrs and it was the time of my life. I am a car guy and not a gambler, so instead of burning money at the tables I rented a Ferrari for 24hrs. I drove it with the roof down through the desert, stopped at Hoover Dam and on tothe Grand Canyon. Some of the best memories. Then, went and met all my buddies at the club in valet and had a crazy night with a grand finale picking up some chick from Chicago. Priceless. Should have seen her face when we walked out to valet at the end of the night and saw the Ferrari. Anyway. Did not sleep a wink that night, so basically I defienetly got my moneys worth in 24hrs. Do it. It will stay in the memory bank for a lifetime.
Now thats a great story.
austinp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:27 AM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Best. Story. Ever.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:35 AM   #41
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Now that's a great memory - awesome!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 12:00 PM   #42
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Experiences over possessions
I’m in
Old 16 September 2018, 12:25 PM   #43
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
I spent half my money on fast cars, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted- WC Fields

You done it right
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:01 PM   #44
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Thanks for all the input. I think having a destination planned is a great idea like you said above instead of just tooling around my local highways.

Looks like the people who have done it have enjoyed it. Wonder if those who recommend against it have done it or not.

Track day is a really interesting idea as well, thanks all!
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:33 PM   #45
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Some things are better rented than owned.

There was a book by late Felix Denis who was a great entrepreneur (founder of Maxim mag), he wrote something to the effect of “if it flies, floats, or fornicates, better to rent than own”. I’d put exotic cars in that list too.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:51 AM   #46
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
I had an absolute blast renting a Lambo in Miami several years ago. I was there with some friends as well so we got to share that moment together (which made it even better!)

My rental eventually turned into me purchasing one -- and the only conclusion I came out with is dollar for dollar (or dollar per mile - and time spent) you cannot beat the value and fun you get out of renting an exotic.

You don't deal with 'finding' the right car, 'finding' the right buyer at the end, get all the headaches of maintenance, and then eat your @ss on depreciation on top of it all when you sell. Emotionally it might not be as great as owning, but for a prolonged test drive with no dealers involved - it is amazing.

I'm a huge car nut and got tons of value out of my 24 hour exotic rental - countless photos, memories driving a convertible exotic in miami (where else!), and still reminisce with my friends and wife of that epic moment.

It will always be what you make of it - but for me it was 110% worth it.

I've also rented lots of other high-end cars for 24 hours to see if that's the right car for me prior to plunking down 100K+ for one. Definitely gives you a chance to take them through your daily commute and all that's involved.

I would definitely have some game plan of where you're going to go in the car prior to renting - as there are def ways to maximize your time spent.

Good luck!
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:55 AM   #47
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
God I love watching videos like that!
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:55 AM   #48
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Awesome!
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:02 AM   #49
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Whatever they are asking is probably a good deal compared to actually owning one. If you want it, do it, but think about whether or not you want it on a race track.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:05 AM   #50
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
If you can't handle it, don't drive it..!!
Nice Impression.. duh...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 04:06 AM   #51
jatco

Quote:
No Doubt...!!

Old 21 September 2018, 06:42 AM   #52
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Just saw this today and made me think of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXmKyzvF7BI

No judgement from me to those who have rented one, I rented a 911 from Enterprise while on vacation for my birthday and ended up buying one a few months later. Just glad I rented from a reputable company and not some weird wanna be bigshot like the guy in this video. Plot twist at the end is great!
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 07:07 AM   #53
John07
"TRF" Member

I would agree with the majority on doing it on the track.. But, I have also had good experience using Turo, an app where people rent their own cars. I was able to rent a Ferrari California for about $450/day after insurance, I rented a Dodge Viper with the V10 for $215/day after insurance, as well as a E63 Wagon for the same price. If you're interested in doing that just look for random dates and specific cars to see who has their car available.
John07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 07:47 AM   #54
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
I rented a Hurrcan in Vegas for 4 hours ~$700. Honestly, some of the most fun 4 hours I've ever had. Totally recommend it. Next time I go to Vegas there is no question that I will rent again.
I hope you got lucky in LV?
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 01:28 PM   #55
jatco

A new Rage, cult.. to the 'empth' degree>...?!?
Got the coin, spend it..

Old 21 September 2018, 08:31 PM   #56
Johndick
"TRF" Member

Some people say that "If you can't afford one, rent one!"
Johndick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 11:26 PM   #57
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pictures or it didn't happen

Great Story!!
Old 22 September 2018, 01:27 AM   #58
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Pictures or it didn't happen

Great Story!!
Sorry Nick, no can do....my wife found the pictures of that weekend and threw them out!!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 01:39 AM   #59
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I would suggest a track experience. Porsche has schools at Barber in Birmingham, and the Audi Experience is now at COTA. The Audi Experience includes the R8, TT-RS, and RS-3 and starts around $695 for a half day and $1695 for a full day of instruction and track time. I’ve only been to COTA for MotoGP, would love to drive on it.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 02:52 AM   #60
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I usually rent a Ferrari when I visit some of my old cycling teammates in France every few years. Sure, it’s a waste of money but it is a lot of fun for a couple of days.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote