The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 11 September 2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Stack
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM312|AP 15400ST
Panerai Limited Edition Art Deco Series - PAM790 & PAM791

Panerai finally officially released these two pieces for the fall along with 3 others that I'll post separately. So now I can share some pictures I have had of them. These two I felt deserved their own thread since they are so different. There is the PAM790 with black dial and the PAM791 with Ivory Dial. In case you are wondering, the dial was inspired by a vintage pendulum clock that was displayed in the windows of the original Panerai boutique in Florence, so there is some history to it.

Both are 47mm steel 1940's cases powered by a P.3000 hand wound movement. What do you guys think? I'll have a full article soon.

Old 11 September 2018, 07:55 AM   #2
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Interesting but not for my collection.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 07:55 AM   #3
tig00s1783
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710BLNR
I like the black dial one.
tig00s1783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 09:18 AM   #4
JRDiAndrea
"TRF" Member

Really like both. Wouldn’t mind getting the cream face.
JRDiAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Stack
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM312|AP 15400ST
Here is a link to more information as well as some pictures. Also forgot to put it in the first post, but these pieces are both $9,200 USD.

Panerai PAM790 & PAM791
Old 11 September 2018, 10:39 AM   #6
nick c
Banned

here also the price list IMG_9108.JPGIMG_9109.JPG
$9200 usd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 12:33 PM   #7
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Thanks for the update. I personally really like these. Even more now that I learn the historical significance. I have tried a couple of things with my existing Panerai 424 California and 721 Radiomir, using a black leather strap to get a slightly more dressy look. I think the dial on both of these does give some more versatility to the model lineup. I love the idea the dial design is from an original table clock. It makes the large 47mm size even more appropriate. I would love to have one of these as I don't yet have a Radiomir 1940.
Old 11 September 2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Even with the very tenuous historic connection, I think the dials make zero sense for Panerai (no lume, Art Deco era precedes the first Panerai watches, “1940 case” with “1920s dial”).

That being said, they look nice and it’s cool to see something a little different. I wouldn’t spend almost 10k on them, but I’m sure there will be some happy owners out there.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 05:38 PM   #9
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Even with the very tenuous historic connection, I think the dials make zero sense for Panerai (no lume, Art Deco era precedes the first Panerai watches, “1940 case” with “1920s dial”).

That being said, they look nice and it’s cool to see something a little different. I wouldn’t spend almost 10k on them, but I’m sure there will be some happy owners out there.
Ha! I didn’t even think about lume or not. But that would not be a deal breaker for me. Of course you are correct about the dates. When the Panerai shop was selling Junghans clocks they were not likely even considering that they might at some time be supplying watches to the Italian Navy!

Still, I can’t seem to get these out of my head. It is definitely the cool factor for me. And the variety for me, having the 720 and 721. Nevertheless, the points you do make give me some very serious food for thought.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 11 September 2018, 05:46 PM   #10
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Ha! I didn’t even think about lume or not. But that would not be a deal breaker for me. Of course you are correct about the dates. When the Panerai shop was selling Junghans clocks they were not likely even considering that they might at some time be supplying watches to the Italian Navy!

Still, I can’t seem to get these out of my head. It is definitely the cool factor for me. And the variety for me, having the 720 and 721. Nevertheless, the points you do make give me some very serious food for thought.

Cheers,
Carl

Well, my only Panerai is far from a "pure" Panerai (ETA auto with Arabic dial, upside down magnifier and quick strap change buttons: 164), and I love it the same today like 7 years ago when I bought it.

Nothing beats buying and enjoying what you love. So, I say, go for it.
Old 11 September 2018, 06:03 PM   #11
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, my only Panerai is far from a "pure" Panerai (ETA auto with Arabic dial, upside down magnifier and quick strap change buttons: 164), and I love it the same today like 7 years ago when I bought it.

Nothing beats buying and enjoying what you love. So, I say, go for it.
You got that right! I am going to the Boutique tomorrow to inquire. But also to take another look at that beautiful 740 gold model that you started a thread about quite a while ago.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 11 September 2018, 06:57 PM   #12
Cru Jones

Quote:
You got that right! I am going to the Boutique tomorrow to inquire. But also to take another look at that beautiful 740 gold model that you started a thread about quite a while ago.

Cheers,
Carl

Old 11 September 2018, 07:04 PM   #13
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Exp II, SubC
Love the design. Just look so classy overall even though it does not have much connection with the Panerai DNA.

Would love to have one in 44mm or even in 42. 47mm just seems too big for this type of dressy dial.
chemistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:47 AM   #14
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the but it is already sold. A bit of a relief, really, as I look forward to seeing the new 790 when they get it in the Boutique.
Old 12 September 2018, 10:37 AM   #15
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Well, I inquired at the Vancouver Boutique today. They are getting both models sometime in October. So, likely tomorrow I will go down and put a deposit on the 791, or whichever one is the dark dial. I just know I am gonna love it.

I just like it. The design of the dial especially, and the 1940 case really suits it. And I think it should be big, after all it represents a clock. What happened to the lume? and the font? And the hands? Makes no difference to me, I know I am going to like it. It really is good to see something completely different. New and never seen before. There is no rule that Panerai has to stick to the same formula time and again.

Before I became interested - I mean really interested enough to buy one - in Panerai, I always gravitated to the smaller watches, even though I am fortunate to have a wrist size that can accommodate almost any watch. Now I love these larger watches.

Until now, I had wished that Panerai made a watch that is a bit dressier. Well, at least my definition of dressy, although these days, almost anything goes. Nevertheless, this will be my Panerai dress watch. I have an OEM Panerai black calf strap with beige stitching which I use to "dress up" my 720 and 424 California. And I must admit it really works well. But I think the 790 and 791 will accomplish this even better. I love the art deco style, and I acquired a Patek Philippe Gondolo because of that. For my lifestyle, I can pretty much wear the 790 and 791 anywhere I can the Patek. And I love that idea.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 12 September 2018, 12:29 PM   #16
ian.thomas

If the size was 42 I would buy both, no questions asked, at full-tilt retail, tax, title, and license. But at 47, it's a hard pass.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 01:08 PM   #17
civic4982
"TRF" Member

Not a lot of essence of Panerai there but heck I think they needed a revamp and new direction.

That said I’d probably consider one for $5-7k but at $9.2 as discussed that’s an easy pass for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
civic4982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 07:03 PM   #18
erik asher
"TRF" Member

I am really shocked that OP released these two models...from a Panerai perspective, everything is wrong with these except the 47 mm Plexi!! No lume, thin and delicate hands, art deco design based on a very tenuous connection to the brand, a 1940 case for a design set in a different period, did I say “ no lume?!”...IMHO, it just doesn’t work and it erodes brand identity more so thean any of OP’s other questionable releases (I.e., 38mm Due/1000/1005/600 series snap ins)...
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 08:50 PM   #19
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Seems like creators are running out of creations.. not my cup of tea unfortunately.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 08:53 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like the 791
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:06 PM   #21
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Buy what you love - for me I'll have to pass. For Art Deco give me a Reverso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 10:23 PM   #22
Jazzie
Banned

very nice
Jazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 02:37 AM   #23
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick8moses View Post
Buy what you love - for me I'll have to pass. For Art Deco give me a Reverso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I love the Reverso myself! There is a beautiful Reverso Small Seconds Stainless Steel Blue with Fagliano leather strap at the JLC Boutique, right next door to the Panerai Boutique. I have tried it on many times, and it has become my favorite JLC model. I promised myself that I will try it on again before I take the plunge and get the Panerai 790/791.
Old 13 September 2018, 03:18 AM   #24
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love the Reverso myself! There is a beautiful Reverso Small Seconds Stainless Steel Blue with Fagliano leather strap at the JLC Boutique, right next door to the Panerai Boutique. I have tried it on many times, and it has become my favorite JLC model. I promised myself that I will try it on again before I take the plunge and get the Panerai 790/791.
That one is very similar to one of my JLC grails - the duoface reverso bleu!
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 06:19 PM   #25
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
True Panerai DNA or not - I actually find them both quite beautiful! Maybe not $9200 beautiful, but still.
Old 16 September 2018, 04:27 AM   #26
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Tried the black one on (the better option between the two IMO). Very nice striking dials and a rather refreshing step back from the traditional PAM models.

As many have echoed, there are design affections that clash with each other which produce a very..."interesting" piece to say the least. The dials really scream art deco but when meshed with the robust 1940s style case, it creates a rather unique steampunk inspired look. Just my personal thoughts though.

It was love at first sight when I initially saw these but after trying them on, they do wear very large for a 47MM Panerai but that does not mean they are unwearable. My wrist is very small at 6 1/4 and with a suit jacket and shirt sleeve, it doesn't look too bad. I definitely would not mind seeing what one of these look like on a black alligator strap to see how that would change up the look.

Just wanted to share my initial thoughts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0068 (1B).jpg (31.4 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0069 (3B).jpg (33.5 KB, 242 views)
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:02 AM   #27
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Don't like them but most of all don't like the hands. Not panerai in my eyes.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 06:34 AM   #28
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Well, I have been looking a various photos and reports about these two for over a week now. Initially, I thought that I wouldn't be able to live without one or the other. But I have a pretty strict rule with myself, to neither put down deposit nor purchase without first seeing the watch. I was all set to visit the Boutique and put down a deposit on one of them. Then, the doubts started creeping into my mind. I love the 5 Panerai models I already have, and I have a couple of dressier, vintage style pieces already, which do not get a whole lot of wear. So, I decided that if I get one of these I am only doing it because Panerai is doing something different. My heart is no longer in it. By the same token, I do look forward to seeing them in real life when they appear here.
So, I did the best thing. I ended up with a very vintage inspired watch that is not dressy, but versatile and fits in more with my lifestyle. And a watch that I have had my eyes on since Basel 2018:

Nothing at all against Panerai. And I thoroughly enjoy the product. But I thought it is time for something completely different. It has been lots of fun following this thread, and look forward to viewing the new models, although I now realize that neither one is probably the one for me.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 16 September 2018, 10:13 AM   #29
KBM

I think they look nice, but as Cru mentioned, very unpanerai-ish. And oh, if it's going to look nothing like a pam dial, just go ahead and make it 42mm, please...
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 12:20 PM   #30
nick c
Banned

I think they are trying, to get new customers,
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote