The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2017, 08:08 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Bluesy for sure, must admit I am losing interest in the general Omega aesthetic.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:28 AM   #32
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
All the Speedmasters with the glass display back ride high on the wrist. That stupid bubble back is my only complaint with the co-axial Speedys.

I don’t like the Bluesy at all, but they are harder to source than almost any Speedmaster. The exceptions are some of the “limited edition” Speedmaster models.

I love Chronographs and adore my Speedy, but they’re much easier to find and cheaper by almost half compared to the Bluesy. So if you do like the Rolex in blue I’d say that’s the one to get now. I wouldn’t, but then my tastes are narrow and off the norm.
Indeed they are.
There seem a strong interest in the Bluesy bringing "something" the Moonwatch doesn't bring enough (something blue maybe). Owners seem to love their Bluesy beyond other watches over time. Surprisingly it's quite hard to find, and even more surprisingly I really rarely see it on the wrists compared to other TT like the GMTII. Maybe Rolex maintain low production to maintain that appeal...

Pricewise the Speedmaster Moonphase is quite overpriced compared to other Speedmasters. Quite a price gap actually. Here in Asia the black or blue SS generally sells just 20% below the Bluesy. And the TT Moonphase is actually more expensive that the Bluesy, for much less precious metal in there.
Somehow Omega wants to place it in a higher level league, maybe to grab some Rolex market shares in that range. But they are easier to find (means higher volume) - which could be due to unsuccessful sales due to missing the price target of their usual crowd...
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:48 AM   #33
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
I agree with you I think the moon phase is over priced. That is what has stopped me from picking one up. For the money they want I would rather get a rolex.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 12:03 PM   #34
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
I really like that Speedmaster Moonphase, but at 44 mm it’s too big for me.

In my opinion the Moonphase is more expensive because it has more complications than the Bluesy. It has chronograph, date and moonphase. I really love this last complication. I’m an amateur astronomer and knowing how old the moon is, is useful when planning to spend time under the starry sky.

So between these two, it’s Moonphase for me.
geebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 01:03 PM   #35
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Speedy is awesome ... but the Bluesy would get my vote.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 02:23 PM   #36
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
Which has better resale. There’s your answer. (Sub)
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 02:24 PM   #37
wildcat465
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
I was in the Omega Boutique a few hours ago to try on a few Speedmasters because I'm looking for a daily beater.

From 2004 up to a few months ago before I purchased my 118206 , I've worn a WG DD almost everyday and, on other days, I wore a vintage Hamilton Pacer.

I tried on two watches: the 1957 and the regular manual Speedmaster. I've been interested in the Speedmaster for at least 20 years. I was absolutely disappointed. The '57 looked and felt like a cheap, lightweight. The regular Speedmaster seemed a little better, but I did not see $5k. I'd get the Blusey everyday of the week and I REALLY wanted a Speedmaster.
wildcat465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 03:01 PM   #38
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I’m not a two-tone fan, but if you are then go bluesy and pickup a “regular” (hesalite) Speedy Pro later for <$4k from a TS. It’s my most recent acquisition and I absolutely love it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 03:06 PM   #39
lars888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
which has better resale. There’s your answer. (sub)
+1
lars888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 06:54 PM   #40
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat465 View Post
I tried on two watches: the 1957 and the regular manual Speedmaster. I've been interested in the Speedmaster for at least 20 years. I was absolutely disappointed. The '57 looked and felt like a cheap, lightweight. The regular Speedmaster seemed a little better, but I did not see $5k. I'd get the Blusey everyday of the week and I REALLY wanted a Speedmaster.
Have you tried the Moon Phase? I did the same as you and tried the other manual Speedmasters as well, plus the Moon phase. The later wears quite different on the wrist. Bigger, heavier case, thicker, sapphire case back, it looks two different types of watch. A bit like comparing a DJ41 and a Sky Dweller.
Old 19 November 2017, 09:58 PM   #41
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Over time, get both That's my plan anyhow. Bluesy down, speedy to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:53 PM   #42
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
It’s not hard to find a 44mm Speedmaster for thousands below retail. Compared to the Speedmaster Pro (42mm) the co-axial models are priced high (at retail).
Old 19 November 2017, 10:59 PM   #43
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that they are both great watches but the Omega is significantly over priced if you are buying from the Boutique or AD without a significant discount, 30-40%. The 116613LB is a classic watch and while you will pay for it, the values are consistent. I would look for a slightly preowned TT Submariner that is complete with box, papers and active warranty and save thousands and be in a solid position for a future trade or sell. Contact a few TS and see what they can get you the Omega for. You will be surprised how much off they can do. But ask them what they would give you on a trade back when the watch is used. It will hurt your feelings with the value lost, even when you bought right. I bought a Speed Master 44.25 on the bracelet and have been very pleased. But I was able to purchase from a TS for the low 4k price. Almost 5k off retail on a preowned piece. I would get the TT Submariner, find a Speed Master that works, pre-owned, and you will have a great two watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170808_071811.jpg (158.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20170810_193323.jpg (124.6 KB, 40 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:50 PM   #44
JManuel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1975 Explorer II
I think 95% people here will be biased towards the Bluesy
JManuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:51 AM   #45
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think that they are both great watches but the Omega is significantly over priced if you are buying from the Boutique or AD without a significant discount, 30-40%. The 116613LB is a classic watch and while you will pay for it, the values are consistent. I would look for a slightly preowned TT Submariner that is complete with box, papers and active warranty and save thousands and be in a solid position for a future trade or sell. Contact a few TS and see what they can get you the Omega for. You will be surprised how much off they can do. But ask them what they would give you on a trade back when the watch is used. It will hurt your feelings with the value lost, even when you bought right. I bought a Speed Master 44.25 on the bracelet and have been very pleased. But I was able to purchase from a TS for the low 4k price. Almost 5k off retail on a preowned piece. I would get the TT Submariner, find a Speed Master that works, pre-owned, and you will have a great two watches.
Interesting suggestions here. I'll remember that. Thank you
Old 20 November 2017, 12:54 AM   #46
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManuel View Post
I think 95% people here will be biased towards the Bluesy
Yes right. But I'm pleased to see feedback from those Bluesy or TT owners also owning a Speedmaster and feeling some kind of attachment to it. Both watches are significantly important for them.
Old 20 November 2017, 01:02 AM   #47
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Have you considered the Speedy Pro Moonphase? It’s super thin and 42mm. It wears like a traditional Speedy Pro (because it basically is with a modified movement).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 November 2017, 01:19 AM   #48
wildcat465
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post
Have you tried the Moon Phase? I did the same as you and tried the other manual Speedmasters as well, plus the Moon phase. The later wears quite different on the wrist. Bigger, heavier case, thicker, sapphire case back, it looks two different types of watch. A bit like comparing a DJ41 and a Sky Dweller.
I did not try on the $13k Moonphase. If it's anything like the '57, which in my hand felt like a toy, in terms of how it feels, then I'll be disappointed at it's price point. I just expect any watch priced at $5k+ to feel substantial.

Regarding your DJ41 and Sky Dweller analogy, I get it, but that's not my issue with the Omegas. My comments were less about fit on my wrist or fitness for a particular purpose and more about how each feels and looks at their relatively high price points. Neither the DJ nor the SD feels or looks like a toy. I will, however, give it another look...just because I really, really love how it looks.
wildcat465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 01:23 AM   #49
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
If I were going Speedmaster I would go good ole Speedy Pro! The Bluesy is just cool and beautiful and would get my vote in this stand off.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 01:27 AM   #50
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

I'd go with 116613lb. That's not saying I don't like the Omega Speedmasyer moon phase. I've tried it on and I loved it but the sub will always be a winner to me