The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 October 2017, 07:15 AM   #1
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Icon20 Rolex Daytona 4130 stem problem

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting in this section so please no harassing me for my dumb decision to fix my own rolex LOL! Too late!

I am somewhat proficient in doing simple work on rolexes like changing bezels, dials, hands etc...
So I took my daytona 4130 stem out to remove the movement and replace the dial and hands.
When re-installing the stem, and I have done this many times before, I cannot get the stem to properly click into place, it will just pull out without pushing the release pin and will sometimes not wind or not adjust the hands, almost like something is not clicking into place.

Some insight would be much appreciated and thanks ahead of time for all the flack I will surely get for trying to be a backyard watchmaker!

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Firstly this movement should be left to the professionals. My first suggestion would be to take it to a watchmaker who knows the calibre.

Failing that I can give an educated guess as to your issue.The setting lever has moved out of position and is not re-engaging with the stem. It has ridden up and moved slightly out of alignment.

If you are lucky you may be able to nudge it back into position. With the movement dial side upwards look in from the movement edge, above the stem hole and below the dial. You will most likely see the edge of the setting lever visible. It shouldn't be. It should be fully down/seated on to the baseplate. With some non marking implement apply gentle pressure to the left hand side of the setting lever edge. Hopefully it will drop into position. This happens if too much pressure is applied to the setting lever stud (release pin) when removing the stem.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 11:07 AM   #3
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
Firstly this movement should be left to the professionals. My first suggestion would be to take it to a watchmaker who knows the calibre.

Failing that I can give an educated guess as to your issue.The setting lever has moved out of position and is not re-engaging with the stem. It has ridden up and moved slightly out of alignment.

If you are lucky you may be able to nudge it back into position. With the movement dial side upwards look in from the movement edge, above the stem hole and below the dial. You will most likely see the edge of the setting lever visible. It shouldn't be. It should be fully down/seated on to the baseplate. With some non marking implement apply gentle pressure to the left hand side of the setting lever edge. Hopefully it will drop into position. This happens if too much pressure is applied to the setting lever stud (release pin) when removing the stem.
Well thank you very much Ironstark I appreciate your help!

Old 20 October 2017, 02:23 PM   #4
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Or the sliding pinion has moved out of place and the movement now has to be partially taken apart
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 03:05 AM   #5
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post

Ok so I checked that and that was the issue!
I would never have found that without help, but I learned something new!

Old 21 October 2017, 06:57 AM   #6
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch is fixed and runs!

Old 21 October 2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Great to know it's working. Glad I was able to help. Knowing the calibre is vital if you want ensure you minimise the risks and that the watch works when your finished
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote