The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 November 2017, 08:00 PM   #1
gery82
"TRF" Member

I might be going nuts thinking about this

Yes, I’m thinking to flip my Rolexes for an Aquanaut 5167

Really love the look especially on brown or military green rubber strap.

I have a few second thoughts though about commencing the search.

Currently have a 1016 from ‘87 and a polar Explorer II from 2000.

I’m really looking forward to input from all Aquanaut owners or past owners. I’m concerned about the following.

1.) Obviously the service process is complicated and probably a lot more expensive than with Rolex. What is the average cost and how often maintenance is required?

2.) Looking at my Rolexes I can comfortably say they’re both true daily beaters, especially the Ex II. Can you place an Aquanaut into the same arena of usage, ruggedness and durability?

3.) what do you think of versatility of the watch. I can assure you that the 1016 goes with literally any attire for any occasion. Do you feel that the 5167 can be dressed up or down just easily?

4.) 1016 is a very sought after vintage piece that if I flip with my Ex II together for a modern PP I might have an enormous buyers remorse afterwards. What do you think about such trade value wise?

5.) Status wise, I’m not a CEO or top manager, currently working in a project as a coordinator would not be a bit exaggeration wearing a PP in my professional position?

6.) being stealth, a bit under the radar look for me is important. How often ppl recognized that you wore a Patek?

Appreciate your time to give as sound advices as you can drawn from your experiences with the 5167.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gery82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 08:06 PM   #2
gery82
"TRF" Member

Old 11 November 2017, 08:11 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

personally if you are going to flip Rolex(s) for it, I would wait a bit and get a 5164 as it is more versatile and the dial is more interesting. Nothing against the 5167 as i like it a lot, but if you will end up with less watches as a result you might as well get one that serves more functions as you are giving up a GMT watch as well.

I wear my aquanaut as a daily with no issues but a "daily" for me isn't exploring caves or mountaineering so "ruggedness" isn't really a requirement.

No one ever knows what my aquanaut is, and i like it that way. Rolex gets far more attention IMO.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 08:17 PM   #4
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Re:

I would keep the 1016, and also post photos of it on this thread. :-)

For the Explorer II, sure sell it. But keep the 1016.

The 5167 is nicer than the Explorer II, for sure. It is NOT worth losing a 1016.
vintagehartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 08:33 PM   #5
gery82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehartmann View Post
I would keep the 1016, and also post photos of it on this thread. :-)

For the Explorer II, sure sell it. But keep the 1016.

The 5167 is nicer than the Explorer II, for sure. It is NOT worth losing a 1016.

Haha got what you’re saying... But then for the Ex II not gonna get enough to flip for something nicer.

Anyways here are some photos for you to drool on

Old 11 November 2017, 08:37 PM   #6
gery82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
personally if you are going to flip Rolex(s) for it, I would wait a bit and get a 5164 as it is more versatile and the dial is more interesting. Nothing against the 5167 as i like it a lot, but if you will end up with less watches as a result you might as well get one that serves more functions as you are giving up a GMT watch as well.

I wear my aquanaut as a daily with no issues but a "daily" for me isn't exploring caves or mountaineering so "ruggedness" isn't really a requirement.

No one ever knows what my aquanaut is, and i like it that way. Rolex gets far more attention IMO.

Thanks Tyler, I totally agree with you that 5164 way nicer look and gives all complications I’d lose by trading both Rolexes. However that’s completely over budget for me, they start at 26k euro, at best I’m happy if I could get 15k for the two watches.

Old 11 November 2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Helmi
"TRF" Member

I cannot advise much on the service experience of Pp because my watches are relatively new and not serviced yet but I can confidently say that the aquanaut is not as rugged as any rolex and can't take the same level of beating. My aquanaut is used less than 20% of my time and started to show some hair line scratches on the clasp despite my excessive care when wearing it. So my general advice is have the Pp as a second watch and save the first slot for a beater and for sure rolexes are the most reliable watches for that purpose
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 09:02 PM   #8
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
I have a 5164 and not a 5167, but I think most of the answers will be the same, so here is my take on you questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gery82 View Post
1.) Obviously the service process is complicated and probably a lot more expensive than with Rolex. What is the average cost and how often maintenance is required?
Info on approx. Patek service cost can be found here: https://www.patek.com/en/retail-serv.../service-costs

Obviously somewhat more expensive than Rolex. I think the recommendation is service every 3-5 years. Personally I would probably stretch it a few years longer than that as long as the watch is keeping good time (modern lubricants don't dry out that easily).

Quote:
2.) Looking at my Rolexes I can comfortably say they’re both true daily beaters, especially the Ex II. Can you place an Aquanaut into the same arena of usage, ruggedness and durability?
The Aquanaut is OK as a daily wearer and as rugged as a Patek gets (better than the Nautilus since you don't have the bracelet which I hear is a scratch magnet). However, it is not as tough as a Rolex for weekend / outdoor kind of activities. If I was you, I would seriously consider saving a bit longer and keeping one of your Rolexes as a weekend beater.

Quote:
3.) what do you think of versatility of the watch. I can assure you that the 1016 goes with literally any attire for any occasion. Do you feel that the 5167 can be dressed up or down just easily?
Very versatile. Goes well with everything from beach wear to black tie IMHO.

Quote:
4.) 1016 is a very sought after vintage piece that if I flip with my Ex II together for a modern PP I might have an enormous buyers remorse afterwards. What do you think about such trade value wise?
Can't really comment on value as I am not read up on the current value of your 1016. If any of your Rolexes still sing to you (I feel this might be the case with the 1016?), I would again consider saving a bit longer and keeping the Rolex as a tougher complement to the 5167.

Quote:
5.) Status wise, I’m not a CEO or top manager, currently working in a project as a coordinator would not be a bit exaggeration wearing a PP in my professional position?
Much more below the radar than a Rolex (most people have no idea the Aquanaut is an expensive watch). Only a proper WIS will notice and in that case you will get the right kind of attention

Quote:
6.) being stealth, a bit under the radar look for me is important. How often ppl recognized that you wore a Patek?
See above. Not often, unless the people you hang with are watch nuts
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 09:12 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Figure every five years and $1200 or so for the Patek 5167. Takes about three or four months. Not sure where exactly nowadays, as it has been shorter many years ago, and far longer only a handful of years ago. Please call Patek service nearest you and ask about pricing and time schedule.

Quote:
Wish the Patek was durable, yet it's not a Rolex. Tried the 5167 as a daily beater, yet i'm active and so... The bezel is a scratch magnet, as many bezels are, and it does indeed scratch quite a bit. On the 5167 that was here, the lume within the '10' fell out. Other than many scratches and case dings, moreso than the ceramic Rolex Sub ND when worn for the same time period as a daily beater, the 5167 generally held up well. The 5167's lume falling out might have been a quirk, as never seen that happen to a watch before. Local dealer had his guy fix it for me and took only a few days.

Quote:
Casual wear yes with stock black plastic band, and if you get the metal bracelet that opens up a bit more formal wear, yet not tux.

Quote:
Financial decisions will be left for you to decide what's best.

Quote:
Only you can decide, as every industry (and the professionals involved) can vary in dress code, etiquette, etc.

Quote:
Virtually never in public. This includes a 5167, 3970, 5035, 5110, etc. Even wore them on the subway in USA and Europe, though add Singapore too yet it's safe there in general. A Patek does tend to be more stealth than a Rolex overall (broadly speaking) if that's your goal. If your goal is a true daily beater and you tend to be active, Rolex is an excellent choice. Hope this helps.

JMHO

Nowadays... Am right now using the Rolex SS SkyD blue face as a daily beater (replaced the ceramic Submariner) with off-road bicycling, pool swimming, the beach, fixing car, traveling, sleep, shower, etc and it's been great. Case wear has been fine, and timekeeping so far is -4 seconds a month (most impressive!). My wife prefers the look of the SkyD over the Sub with Everest strap (which will now be used for scuba diving and the like).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 11:15 PM   #10
gery82
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys, I think it’s clear now even though I like the look, Rolex is the better choice for me now. And yes I would be almost unable to let go my 1016

Old 12 November 2017, 05:08 AM   #11
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Here’s a crazy thought, I think a better option is the 116655 Yachtmaster. Incredible strap which makes it a bit under the radar, PM and Rolex toughness. IMHO it’s a better one and only than the Aquanaut (which I really like).

Or maybe flip your Explorer 2 for something like a GMT or Sub and keep that amazing 1016!

Good luck on your choice

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 05:15 AM   #12
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
By the way, remember that any modern sports model looks and works great on a rubber strap like Everest or Rubber B, making them great dailys and stealth watches.

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 05:29 AM   #13
gery82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
By the way, remember that any modern sports model looks and works great on a rubber strap like Everest or Rubber B, making them great dailys and stealth watches.

Yes, I’ll will stick with my Ex II for a while. Currently wear it on a military green rubber strap and it looks great imo.

And yes the 1016 stays

Thanks everyone!

Old 12 November 2017, 05:34 AM   #14
gery82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
Here’s a crazy thought, I think a better option is the 116655 Yachtmaster. Incredible strap which makes it a bit under the radar, PM and Rolex toughness. IMHO it’s a better one and only than the Aquanaut (which I really like).

Or maybe flip your Explorer 2 for something like a GMT or Sub and keep that amazing 1016!

Good luck on your choice

That YM been eyeing for a while now, it’s indeed a beauty! Although being yellow gold or pink gold doesn’t make it stealth enough.

Old 12 November 2017, 07:58 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd keep the 1016 and add a 5167, service costs are not that bad but time could be 6months so you need another.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 08:03 AM   #16
Kaapu
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex,SUF
You need to remember that PP Aquanaut and Rolex (every one of them) represent totally different approach in the world of watches. Rolex is a tool watch. Because I live in Texas, its like a truck to me. There are plenty of those in here. They are reliable, big is size, easy to trade etc. PP Aquanaut is like an Italian racing car. Good looking car for weekend drives, but don't take it to the country side where roads are tough and something unexpected can always happen
Kaapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 08:05 AM   #17
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have to agree I’d say wait until you can add the 5167. It’s a great watch but you don’t want it to be your only piece.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote