The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2014, 02:25 AM   #31
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Owned / sold this a few times ... don't own it now and still makes me skip a beat every time I look at the pictures. One of the nicest watches I ever had regardless of brand or price.

Old 17 May 2014, 04:56 AM   #32
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
^ Beautiful 233 Serge

No loss of interest here

Not exactly sure how one would gauge an entire forum's interest, especially given the large number of non-participants (nothing wrong with that), but the Panerai forum contains more posts than any other sub-forum...
Old 17 May 2014, 06:33 AM   #33
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
^ Beautiful 233 Serge

No loss of interest here

Not exactly sure how one would gauge an entire forum's interest, especially given the large number of non-participants (nothing wrong with that), but the Panerai forum contains more posts than any other sub-forum...
I gauge it by the amount of new threads.......a couple of years ago there were pages of new threads, consistently..........I gauge it by the amount of "different" people that respond........seems like its the same 5-10 people that always comment. That's all......I love the look of Panerai's......owned quite a few over the last few years. I was just asking a question.
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 07:25 AM   #34
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor View Post
I gauge it by the amount of new threads.......a couple of years ago there were pages of new threads, consistently..........I gauge it by the amount of "different" people that respond........seems like its the same 5-10 people that always comment. That's all......I love the look of Panerai's......owned quite a few over the last few years. I was just asking a question.
No worries Rob
I've always liked the regular production models, Luminors in particular. The many LEs, SEs and 'boutique' editions do nothing for me.

Btw, how did you like the Bathyscaphe? I see you have it up for sale now - if you don't mind me asking, was there something you didn't like about it or are you just making room for something else?
Old 17 May 2014, 10:29 AM   #35
Time Collector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor View Post
Hey Survivor,
I understand were you are coming from when you talk about the same 5-10 people that always respond. I also see that even if a thread only have say 6-15 reply comments, there is usually 300- 400 or more members that have viewed the thread. The Breitling Discussion Forum is a prime example of this, 4-6 replies and 1,003 views. And sometimes the threads are watch specific like: Pam 233, 422, or 510, so it makes it hard to comment if you never handled one.

The funny thing is that over at WUS their Rolex/Tudor forum section has the same thing going on with it as Panerai do on TRF. While Seiko, G-shock, Micro's and Dive watches account for over half of all the new threads started over there.

"You can never buy back Time, so spend it wisely."
Time Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 10:38 AM   #36
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
I'm here!

Make that 6-11 people always responding! lol
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 10:40 AM   #37
Time Collector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto16610 View Post
Make that 6-7 people always responding! lol
Hey Auto 16610 we appreciate you too, thanks for your replies.
And congrats! on your incoming.

Old 17 May 2014, 11:19 AM   #38
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
Brian, can you recommend a brand that has a more reasonable policy for the distribution of SE/LEs?
Let me clarify my issue with them... I'm not saying that they have too many LEs (though they kinda do), what I'm complaining about is how they decide who to sell it to. It seems like the same people (people with connections to boutique managers) keep getting the hard to get LEs just do they can then flip them for an absurd price. How many people with the first bronzo have you seen that also owns (or have bought) the second bronzo as well? Too many... And that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 17 May 2014, 11:24 AM   #39
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

000 only. The rest? Nah
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 11:39 AM   #40
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
One thing that may be an issue is the sheer number of Panerai watches make it a little difficult to connect. I mean, how many Omega owners can talk about about their moon watches? A lot. When it comes to Panerai, I have and love my 121. But I'm not sure anyone else here has one. I may be the only one here who cares about one.

Then when people are looking at the title of a thread and see "question about my 323" or "deciding between a 002 or a 172" (I'm making up numbers here), I know I don't have a lot to add because I don't know what the watches are. I can much more easily identify with a "Speedmaster" or "Daytona" than a "324," but maybe that's just me.

But I agree here besides Rolex the AP subforum seems the most active. Breitling and Panerai aren't full of activity but I don't think it's dead and I check them all (except Patek which is way out of my range) every day.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 12:07 PM   #41
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Tried on a Pam 121 blue dial stainless recently - I came very close to buying it.
Old 17 May 2014, 12:37 PM   #42
KellyM3
Banned

It's the first section I go to

I think that a lot of traffic is such that some people are so busy on the regular rolex forum trying to out do each other with their material assets etc they forget about the watches...I rather enjoy the panerai crowd

KellyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 12:47 PM   #43
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor66 View Post
Tried on a Pam 121 blue dial stainless recently - I came very close to buying it.
I'm not aware of any blue dials. The 121 is a gray dial with silver subdials. The 122 is black with silver subdials. Add the 072 and 074 which make up the four 40mm El Primero chronographs.
Old 17 May 2014, 12:53 PM   #44
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
I think so... speaking of person experience. Somehow I feel that they have lost me with their now boring and repetitive designs, bad reputation when it comes to servicing watches, and the way they handle the distribution of limited edition pieces.
I felt this way also as a big collector of Panerai, not to mention the fact how hard it was to get SE's and the hoopla involved (and I know the NA CEO) and my friend owns PANERAI boutiques... no I don't expect priority but kinda? Was just too much BS over nothing lol

But guess what, so I went crazy with AP, Patek, etc... all have become repetitive feeling after owning 3-6 of each... all were underwhelming in terms of reliability, service, etc...

So don't think it's just with Panerai !

Anyway i'm back with Panerai and have been enjoying them, as well as my others, and don't have ill feelings anymore towards PAM considering the BS involved with the other brands too... such is life

All of these brands are overvalued, overhyped, and not worth the money they ask ! I'm slowing down overall as watches are becoming a bit boring and as I had mentioned, underwhelming. My Patek 5712 broke, 5960p in 2 weeks and my 5167 not keeping great time.............. oh and my AP panda having issues, Grand Prix had issues , Legacy had issues.......
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 01:28 PM   #45
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Blue dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I'm not aware of any blue dials. The 121 is a gray dial with silver subdials. The 122 is black with silver subdials. Add the 072 and 074 which make up the four 40mm El Primero chronographs.
It's a captivating blue dial, which I have never seen on Panerai brand.
It had boxes and manuals, and it came on a stainless steel strap. I will go back next week and take some photos, and I might even bring this one home...
Old 17 May 2014, 01:31 PM   #46
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
It's a captivating blue dial, which I have never seen on Panerai brand.
It had boxes and manuals, and it came on a stainless steel strap. I will go back next week and take some photos, and I might even bring this one home...
Panerai 327?
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 02:56 PM   #47
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

I was a PAM 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Panerai 327?
Based on the photos I checked out, the watch was a pristine PAM 120.

Just an incredible watch that really checks all of the boxes, easy to read dial, stainless band, blue color... I might have to go pick this up next week...

Here is a pic borrowed from the net, this was it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120.jpg (38.1 KB, 344 views)
Old 17 May 2014, 03:09 PM   #48
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

better pic, borrowed

Here is another pic, not mine, but soon may be...

I this watch doesn't draw you in, check your pulse...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123.jpg (32.0 KB, 344 views)
Old 17 May 2014, 04:08 PM   #49
100thmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Are Beautiful
I doubt I will ever tire of Panerai its is full of history and DNA and really different to so many others

100thmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 05:44 PM   #50
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great discussion and pix in this thread.

I'll also add that I think it's a real positive that one doesn't find "is it safe to mow my lawn while wearing my Panerai?" threads here.

Even if it keeps the thread count down.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 09:36 PM   #51
Starbucksboss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Too bad for your experience, which you've repeated a few times here. Just to say, the "vibration" is actually a characteristic of that classic movement (the wobble) that you probably had based on your description, which either one likes or one doesn't, and your corrosion was probably due to you letting water get into the watch. And for every 100 acceptable service experiences, there's always one that slips through the cracks for any brand, and it's that one that inevitably gets talked about on the Internet.

Anyway, Panerai isn't for everyone. Good thing there are lots of great choices.

Yep..you are right ...Im just calling it as I saw it...those shirts were expensive! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Starbucksboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2014, 09:55 PM   #52
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Based on the photos I checked out, the watch was a pristine PAM 120.

Just an incredible watch that really checks all of the boxes, easy to read dial, stainless band, blue color... I might have to go pick this up next week...

Here is a pic borrowed from the net, this was it:

Those are both cool looking watches and the dial color is a winner. But there's an example of some of the model # confusion. A 121 is very different than a 120.

Here's my 121
Old 17 May 2014, 10:48 PM   #53
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
I visit here every day, and enjoy reading the posts even if I don't chime in. My 111 is still at the service center so looking at the pics here helps me cope til I get it back next month
Old 18 May 2014, 01:28 AM   #54
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
I'm still enjoying my 111 however I do find that its a scratch magnet

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 01:53 AM   #55
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

No, Panerai hasnt lost a thing. It has always been more rare than Rolex. Other forums that represent Panerai are huge. It goes in cycles here. The fact that Panerai is more exclusive is whats so alluring. We just have a more exclusive club....jk

Old 18 May 2014, 02:10 AM   #56
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Those are both cool looking watches and the dial color is a winner. But there's an example of some of the model # confusion. A 121 is very different than a 120.

Here's my 121

Sweetness~
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 05:14 AM   #57
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
At the end of the day this is a Rolex forum and I think the true Panerai followers either don't really inhabit forums or they frequent one in particular. Having worn Panerai and Rolex for the past 10 years I generally always end up chatting to Panerai wearers when I see them out and about, Rolex wearers I generally don't, there are more of them and around here they are wearing them to be noticed anyway so generally don't want to massage their ego.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 06:15 AM   #58
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
bubble

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 06:54 AM   #59
Time Collector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
I doubt I will ever tire of Panerai its is full of history and DNA and really different to so many others

I love the combo, that 305 is one of my favorites and I wear it weekly

Old 18 May 2014, 07:27 AM   #60
robin hood
"TRF" Member

Just ran the gauntlet of AD's in the Caribbean. As probably the oldest guy here who wears a panerai regularly in my rotation, I think a little less counter space is being given to Panerai. I very much like my 312, but think right now I would rather sport a JLC Grande GMT Reverso. Both are large pieces, but the JLC is a true classic. All brands an styles follow a sine curve of popularity, some more than others, but I don't think Panerai is falling out of favor with watch-people. It may be more a matter of disposable income right now...a situation that is having an effect in many areas of consumerism.
robin hood is offline   Reply With Quote