The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2020, 03:17 PM   #1
LD_321
"TRF" Member

Daytona or Royal Oak?

Hey guys so I’m new to this form and I’m sure this question has been asked 100 times before but figured I would ask for a new updated opinion.

I am fortunate enough to be in a position to choose between a new ceramic Daytona panda or AP Royal Oak (15500, 15400, or 15450; yes I know the 15450 is 37mm but I always felt the 41mm sat pretty big on my 7 inch wrist)

So, the questions that I have is it worth buying the Daytona at x2 more than retail, or go for the AP?

While we’re at it, if anyone has any opinions or insight as to the AP 41mm vs the 37mm I would love to hear your thoughts. I have seen pictures of the 37mm next to a ceramic Daytona and they actually look comparable. My fear is the 37 will look to small, but it’s also a fear that the 41 will be too big and as everything tends to be trending down in size I’m not sure the larger AP will be able to stand the test of time.
LD_321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 04:15 PM   #2
TankTom
Banned

AP as paying double for the Daytona is crazy IMO
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 04:28 PM   #3
Breizh
"TRF" Member

RO is in a different league.
For the same price, it's not even close
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Breizh
"TRF" Member

For the size it depends on your preference.
RO do wear bigger (due to the larger lug to lug), 37 is fine on a 7' wrist IMO.
Old 16 September 2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Breizh
"TRF" Member

15450 next to a gmt
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF938C96-4E9C-4BB8-B9B6-94F26A368AC4.jpeg (100.8 KB, 975 views)
Old 16 September 2020, 05:13 PM   #6
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Daytona at RRP would be the Best Buy but as you’re paying double RRP then it’s the AP all the way.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 05:22 PM   #7
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD_321 View Post
Hey guys so I’m new to this form and I’m sure this question has been asked 100 times before but figured I would ask for a new updated opinion.

I am fortunate enough to be in a position to choose between a new ceramic Daytona panda or AP Royal Oak (15500, 15400, or 15450; yes I know the 15450 is 37mm but I always felt the 41mm sat pretty big on my 7 inch wrist)

So, the questions that I have is it worth buying the Daytona at x2 more than retail, or go for the AP?

While we’re at it, if anyone has any opinions or insight as to the AP 41mm vs the 37mm I would love to hear your thoughts. I have seen pictures of the 37mm next to a ceramic Daytona and they actually look comparable. My fear is the 37 will look to small, but it’s also a fear that the 41 will be too big and as everything tends to be trending down in size I’m not sure the larger AP will be able to stand the test of time.
Daytona... but then again I don't like AP so this is just my personal preference.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 08:27 PM   #8
excelerater
"TRF" Member

AP id take over any Rolex,its a step up ..
Rolex gets a lot of hype but there are a bunch of better
sports watches out there
excelerater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 09:05 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I prefer Rolex as a brand and the Daytona as a watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 09:43 PM   #10
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

AP is actually a $25K watch and feels like it.

Daytona does not under any circumstance- but its a hell of a value at MSRP.
ScottishRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 09:44 PM   #11
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
AP...as others have mentioned the Daytona isn’t worth double MSRP when considering these 2 watches
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 09:50 PM   #12
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Come on, do we really need to ask this?! AP and it's not even close.
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 09:51 PM   #13
koko105
"TRF" Member

AP is another level above the Rolex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
koko105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:01 PM   #14
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
AP., but in 39mm. 39mm is the original and best proportioned size for this watch. Try finding a 15300 or the 15202 "jumbo". Here is the 15300 on my 7.25" wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1793.JPG (91.0 KB, 790 views)
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:09 PM   #15
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
15450ST 37 mm is too small for 7" wrist, go with 39 or 41 would be better.

At msrp Daytona is the best buy, but if goes grey, go with AP.

At msrp, Daytona is a lots cheaper than AP.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:10 PM   #16
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

What panda? I have a white dial ceramic Daytona but its not a panda.

Old 16 September 2020, 10:11 PM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Do you need a chronograph or not? Only you can decide if it is "worth it"?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:13 PM   #18
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I'd never pay 2x retail for anything. Based on this alone I'd go RO.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:28 PM   #19
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Either is great daily wearer. Personally, I'd go with the AP due to simple quality of the build and movement.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:29 PM   #20
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Interesting to hear people say a steel AP is worth 2.3x a steel Daytona.

The AP is steel. Steel. It’s 26.4k GBP for a steel chronograph watch.

The movement is not better. The design is different and AP sent their guys to a better finishing school.

It is not nautilus rare, but the vast majority would still pick it when they could get 2 Daytona’s and an Oyster perpetual for the gardening and car washing duties for the same price.

That’s a hell of a levy to put on a nicely finished watch.

I wonder how many people who own these and had to live with an AP for any great length of time would answeR this.

This whole other level is very surface level polish.

I’m not bashing AP, I do think they make some incredible pieces, but I’m just surprised at the leeway people give the steel versions when it comes to value. Especially when measured against patek, ALS, FPJourne, Vacheron etc.

Ps the steel daytona is not worth more than it’s rrp
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:38 PM   #21
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I would not pay grey market prices for the Daytona. It's an awesome watch, but I really don't think it's a $27K/£20 watch. So with this I would go with the AP.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:52 PM   #22
Tele59
"TRF" Member

It would be AP for me all day.
Tele59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 10:54 PM   #23
RLXSRGN
"TRF" Member

Another vote in favor of the royal oak
RLXSRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:00 PM   #24
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I still think the SS Daytona is a good price in the secondary market if you’re looking for an in-house column wheel chronograph. Many focus on msrp but we all know the Daytona’s msrp is way too low relatively. I’m sure by design to drive even more demand via scarcity effect.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:06 PM   #25
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Interesting to hear people say a steel AP is worth 2.3x a steel Daytona.

The AP is steel. Steel. It’s 26.4k GBP for a steel chronograph watch.
A Seiko diver is "steel" but only worth 200gbp. Interesting a steel Daytona is worth 100x a steel Seiko.

your argument is non existent if you think a steel AP shouldn't be worth 2.3x more than a steel Daytona based on their metal.

Your paying the premium for superior craftsmanship and finishing on the case, dial, bracelet and movement, all of which the RO trumps the Daytona imo.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:10 PM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Not a fan of the modern day Daytona even less a fan of any of the RO range, but given the choice would choose the Daytona as myself hate the RO style of watches.Both great movements but the Daytona movement just take the edge over the RO for reliability, accuracy, and ease of service..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:18 PM   #27
supernova
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For OP, on 7 inch wrist I would definitely go with 41mm. I had same dilemma and I went with 41mm on my small 6.3 inch wrist.

The case on the 37mm looks ok on my wrist but the dial was too small and threw off the overall look. The 41mm I felt looked much better in real life, the case lugs just within the width of my wrist so no overhang, although I do have flatter wrist type.

But I definitely suggest you try both in person as pics can throw you off alot I felt.
Old 17 September 2020, 12:54 AM   #28
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
A Seiko diver is "steel" but only worth 200gbp. Interesting a steel Daytona is worth 100x a steel Seiko.

your argument is non existent if you think a steel AP shouldn't be worth 2.3x more than a steel Daytona based on their metal.

Your paying the premium for superior craftsmanship and finishing on the case, dial, bracelet and movement, all of which the RO trumps the Daytona imo.
My argument still stands unless you can legitimately and factually explain to me how a RO is worth 15k GBP more than a Daytona when all it comes down to in 2 mechanical watches is design and finish.

If you are going to quote me, quote me correctly. I didn't say an AP shouldn't be worth 2.3x more than a steel Daytona based on the metal. I said, which I've repeated above, it is based on the finish and the design.

Given the Daytona has a marginally better movement, you are paying an extra 15k for the design, the polishing and finish.

Which was my point. People here are accepting that the a grey market Daytona is nuts at 20-24k GBP, but the RO isn't because you can get them at or near retail, a similar price to a grey market Daytona but they are exactly the same metal, function and arguably inferior movement, but yet its the obvious pick

My point is, the movement and material is exactly the same, so is the way they shaped the case and polished it worth 15k. For some people it is and that is fine, after all when you buy and wear a RO, you are doing so as its more like jewellery, a statement piece. Again this questioning for me is about value, as so many people have said the RO is the obvious choice at this price point.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 02:12 AM   #29
supernova
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Given the Daytona has a marginally better movement, you are paying an extra 15k for the design, the polishing and finish.
If your definition of a better movement is accuracy then I agree that Daytona movement is more accurate than the RO.

But then the argument can be swung again to the Rolex - Seiko comparison in that a Seiko automatic can be just as accurate as a Daytona, your just paying the 100x premium for "the design, the polishing and finish" of the Daytona.

Which is fine as that is what defines a premium timepiece and what makes a one more valuable than the other. You don't buy an AP for super accurate time keeping, you buy them for "the design, the polishing and finish".

So your somewhat answering your own question on why you think folks here value a steel AP over a steel Daytona more.
Old 17 September 2020, 07:37 AM   #30
herbie911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breizh View Post
15450 next to a gmt
What a lovely photo! Gorgeous combo! Still waiting for my RO 15450 after placing a deposit in Jan 20! Just put my name on a wait list for the batgirl! looking forward to the day I can also do a similar photo!
herbie911 is offline   Reply With Quote