The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 October 2020, 08:44 PM   #1
dmash
"TRF" Member

Any Experience @ Bangkok Boutique/Modern RO Durability Question?

So I’ve been up in the air about how I wanted to signify my daughter’s birth this past April. After a ton of debating, speaking with a couple Rolex ADs and viewing extensive pics online, I’ve actually decided to possibly go a complete other direction with a black dial 15500ST. With that being said, I was wondering if anyone had experience at the BKK boutique? I have zero communication thus far with any AP dealers, so I’m going to be a completely fresh face.

Secondly, I’ve been doing a lot of reading and it seems I’ve seen a fair amount about 15400/3120 issues and RO as a whole just not being that ‘durable’. What is the general TRF consensus on the new model? To be honest, it confuses me a bit as I know two AP owners (15300 & 15400) who have had zero issues, running fine, and they both daily the watches so they’re not safe queens. What is it with the sometimes incessant comments about AP being fragile? This is a definite factor for myself, as this purchase could possibly end up being the only watch I would have with a bracelet and get worn quite often.

*Side note, I have no qualms about a deposit and not getting the watch before end of year (as I know that’s essentially impossible) just want to wrap something up this year to sort of solidify things in a way
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 09:32 PM   #2
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Any Experience @ Bangkok Boutique/Modern RO Durability Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
So I’ve been up in the air about how I wanted to signify my daughter’s birth this past April. After a ton of debating, speaking with a couple Rolex ADs and viewing extensive pics online, I’ve actually decided to possibly go a complete other direction with a black dial 15500ST. With that being said, I was wondering if anyone had experience at the BKK boutique? I have zero communication thus far with any AP dealers, so I’m going to be a completely fresh face.

Secondly, I’ve been doing a lot of reading and it seems I’ve seen a fair amount about 15400/3120 issues and RO as a whole just not being that ‘durable’. What is the general TRF consensus on the new model? To be honest, it confuses me a bit as I know two AP owners (15300 & 15400) who have had zero issues, running fine, and they both daily the watches so they’re not safe queens. What is it with the sometimes incessant comments about AP being fragile? This is a definite factor for myself, as this purchase could possibly end up being the only watch I would have with a bracelet and get worn quite often.

*Side note, I have no qualms about a deposit and not getting the watch before end of year (as I know that’s essentially impossible) just want to wrap something up this year to sort of solidify things in a way
AP boutique experience has always been great for me, and seems the universal feedback from members across various locations. I would recommend making an appointment and providing context to your visit. Pretty certain they won’t have availability of a RO but getting to know a prospective client is always helpful.

No comments on the 3120 issues, not personally aware.

The new AP house has opened in Bangkok, I’m definitely visiting soonest I can travel to BKK.

PS: congrats on the newborn
Old 1 October 2020, 09:40 PM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
AP boutique experience has always been great for me, and seems the universal feedback from members across various locations. I would recommend making an appointment and providing context to your visit. Pretty certain they won’t have availability of a RO but getting to know a prospective client is always helpful.

No comments on the 3120 issues, not personally aware.

The new AP house has opened in Bangkok, I’m definitely visiting soonest I can travel to BKK.

PS: congrats on the newborn

Thanks for the reply and well wishes

Yeah I’m in no way trying to grab one same day or something, but definitely want to register my interests/possibly put down a deposit to show I’m serious. Have heard one can possibly be purchased in a reasonable time frame this way.

My wife is also waffling a 34RO or a diamond DJ, so obviously if she decides the former I feel this gives me a huge edge
Old 1 October 2020, 09:48 PM   #4
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
My wife is also waffling a 34RO or a diamond DJ, so obviously if she decides the former I feel this gives me a huge edge
Most def. Make that known upfront of a combo possibility. The black dial should be available with a reasonable wait, if they accept a deposit especially.
Old 1 October 2020, 10:31 PM   #5
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I was in Bangkok just before the pandemic emerged. I haven't visited any US boutiques, but I've been to one of the Singapore boutiques as well. The Bangkok staff is excellent and they had a pretty nice selection of pieces to try on and purchase in early 2020. I was torn between a 26331ST ROC and the 26480TI ROO and ended up passing on both at the time. I must've been in there with them 3 times in a week, and they were patient and attentive through the whole experience. The Singapore crew was friendly, but had hardly anything in stock to try on for the new customer other than Codes.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 11:06 PM   #6
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I was in Bangkok just before the pandemic emerged. I haven't visited any US boutiques, but I've been to one of the Singapore boutiques as well. The Bangkok staff is excellent and they had a pretty nice selection of pieces to try on and purchase in early 2020. I was torn between a 26331ST ROC and the 26480TI ROO and ended up passing on both at the time. I must've been in there with them 3 times in a week, and they were patient and attentive through the whole experience. The Singapore crew was friendly, but had hardly anything in stock to try on for the new customer other than Codes.
Out of curiosity what color on the ROC?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 11:10 PM   #7
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
What is it with the sometimes incessant comments about AP being fragile?
Incessant? I read occasional comments about them being “more delicate”, which is not the same thing as “fragile”.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 11:14 PM   #8
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Great, thanks for the feedback, seems like it’s definitely worth a stop at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Incessant? I read occasional comments about them being “more delicate”, which is not the same thing as “fragile”.
Perhaps incessant was a bit of an exaggeration but any time a ‘Sub vs RO’ type thread popped up when I was searching, it seems there’s always a slew of comments mentioning this.

But even in the sense of more delicate, what is everyone referring to? The movement taking abuse or the polishing just taking scratches?
Old 1 October 2020, 11:42 PM   #9
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Out of curiosity what color on the ROC?
Black dial, silver subdials They also had the 38mm ROC ruthenium dial at the time, but I felt it was a bit small on me.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 09:24 AM   #10
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
While I believe the Rolexes I have are likely more durable, my 15500 has been on a tough African safari, rock climbed, played golf and gone swimming and hang gliding. No problems.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 12:39 PM   #11
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Perhaps incessant was a bit of an exaggeration but any time a ‘Sub vs RO’ type thread popped up when I was searching, it seems there’s always a slew of comments mentioning this.

But even in the sense of more delicate, what is everyone referring to? The movement taking abuse or the polishing just taking scratches?
Of course, (most) Rolex are tool watches, they are built like a tank. For those who have specifically "grew up" with a Rolex portfolio, watches from (any) other brands will come across as delicate. Again, this is in ref to any other haute horology brand, think PP, VC, Lange, JLC, FPJ in this "price league". Generally speaking, no model of theirs will be able to take it up with a Sub.

What is true about Royal Oak models is that due to their complexing polishing and sharp edges, any scratches will be more apparent and visible .
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 12:20 AM   #12
mister_poom
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I'm also in the same position as you, also wondering about AP boutiques/house in Bangkok. I never had any relations with AP yet, but I hope in the future I will.

Let me know how is your experience with AP in Bangkok once you've gone there. :)
mister_poom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 02:09 AM   #13
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500, Santos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
While I believe the Rolexes I have are likely more durable, my 15500 has been on a tough African safari, rock climbed, played golf and gone swimming and hang gliding. No problems.
I would love pictures of the watch after all this action. Mine seems to find ways to get scratched while I practically hold my arm in a sling to protect it.
Jgives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 02:24 AM   #14
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Mine is pretty scratched, happily, but is now in New York. Will take a pix in a couple of weeks.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote