The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 25 May 2022, 01:49 AM   #1
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Model 1982 GMT World Traveler by About Vintage

The genesis of this review came about because my daily wearer, a P-serial 16710 GMT-Master II, was going to the New York RSC for service and I’d be without it for an estimated eight weeks. I began looking for a cheap, er… inexpensive, wristwatch that would provide features similar to my Rolex GMT II while it was on vacation at the Long Island City RSC spa.

There are lots of candidates that would fit the bill, but I came across the 2022 Model 1982 GMT World Traveler by Danish microbrand About Vintage in Copenhagen, and was stricken by its appearance, very reasonable price, and impressive specifications. I placed my order on April 29, and received it on May 4. It has been comfortably on my wrist almost continuously since May 4 after I resized the bracelet for my 6.75 inches circumference wrist, set local and GMT time by time.gov, and is still showing the correct time to the second twenty days later without any corrections.

What’s in the Package?

Here’s what came in the box. The photo was taken after I added a cyclops to the date window and changed the bracelet from the supplied jubilee style to an aftermarket oyster style with glide-lock clasp.

Some details

The case is 41mm polished 316L stainless steel, and the crystal is domed sapphire with anti-reflective coating. The bracelet is a nicely finished generic stainless steel jubilee style with solid end links and a flip-lock clasp. The movement is a Ronda 515.24H 11¼”’ quartz unit (yeah, I know; the dark side) with 3 hands plus an independently adjustable 24-hour hand and quickset date window. The battery is Renata 371 and has an average life of 45 months. The dial is black sunray with luminous dots and steel hands. The About Vintage warranty is two years against defects, and water resistance is 100 meters with a screw down crown.

Changes I Made

I added a “cyclops” date magnifier to the crystal and ordered a generic oyster style glide-lock stainless bracelet for $57.00 from Amazon. Next month my eyes will be eighty years old, and they appreciate the magnified date. I had no idea the glide-lock clasp would be so comfortable, but it really is and the added weight and bulk doesn’t bother me at all.

Overall, I believe this watch is a bargain at the current price of $399, but was an even better deal when I ordered it on sale for $319 in late April. These prices include FedEx shipping to the U.S. from Denmark. I am very impressed with the overall quality of the watch and plan to wear it in rotation when my GMT II comes back from the RSC and when I don’t want to risk damage or theft of my Rolex.

A Couple of Minor Disappointments

The Ronda movement works great, and can be purchased new for US$20 – US$30 if replacement is required. However, two features found in better quartz movements are lacking in the Ronda. Most movements will begin skipping in two second increments when the battery needs replacement; my understanding is that the Ronda lacks this low battery warning feature and simply stops. The other difference is that the 24-hour hand doesn’t “jump”, but instead moves smoothly as the crown is turned. It took me a couple of tries to get it set right on the hour, but once there it stayed put.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote