The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 March 2019, 03:54 PM   #1
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

1985 ref 6694

Hi all,

Purchased this oysterdate precision last Sunday.
Hasn’t come off the wrist since then, well ok only to wind and sleep. Really pleased with it. Yes still in the honeymoon period and I was worried the 34mm dial was going to look to small but yeah really happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:52 PM   #2
jwrosenthal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bulova 3818
Stunning!!
I just got done with a restoration on an OPD, same form factor- had the same fears of it wearing small but fears are absolutely unfounded when you get it on the wrist- these smaller oysters are perfectly proportioned.
Congrats and here’s to bringing small watches back!
James
jwrosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:53 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Looks good OP, ive had a few of them over my tenure. Sold them to fund other watches. Enjoy it and wear it in good health!
Old 30 March 2019, 04:00 AM   #4
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I have a birth year 6694. Has the open 6 and 9. Fun little watch. Runs like a champ and keeps great time. Costs peanuts to service. I have a smallish wrist so it fits nicely. I like to wear it casually. The lugs are a little over polished but it's all original and got it for a steal. Zero stretch to the bracelet. Yours looks super sharp. Enjoy it.
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 07:45 AM   #5
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrosenthal View Post
Stunning!!
I just got done with a restoration on an OPD, same form factor- had the same fears of it wearing small but fears are absolutely unfounded when you get it on the wrist- these smaller oysters are perfectly proportioned.
Congrats and here’s to bringing small watches back!
James

Yeah I thought it would wear small in my 7.5 inch wrist but at you can clearly see it’s fine.
Old 30 March 2019, 07:45 AM   #6
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Looks good OP, ive had a few of them over my tenure. Sold them to fund other watches. Enjoy it and wear it in good health!

Thank you
Old 30 March 2019, 07:46 AM   #7
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
I have a birth year 6694. Has the open 6 and 9. Fun little watch. Runs like a champ and keeps great time. Costs peanuts to service. I have a smallish wrist so it fits nicely. I like to wear it casually. The lugs are a little over polished but it's all original and got it for a steal. Zero stretch to the bracelet. Yours looks super sharp. Enjoy it.

Thank you it is a fun little Rolex. It’s my first Rolex, prior to this I had a black bay.
Old 30 March 2019, 09:46 AM   #8
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeep111 View Post
Thank you it is a fun little Rolex. It’s my first Rolex, prior to this I had a black bay.

Here’s mine. From 1973. All original. Has the lighter tapered bracelet. I moved the date to the open 9 to show. Lume still works under a blast from an LED flashlight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 March 2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here’s mine. From 1973. All original. Has the lighter tapered bracelet. I moved the date to the open 9 to show. Lume still works under a blast from an LED flashlight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous. I like how the gold gives it a whole new look compared to mine.

How long does the lume last under an LED?
Old 30 March 2019, 10:33 AM   #10
jwrosenthal
"TRF" Member

That is pretty with the gold hands and indices with stainless case. Normally only see Omega do that during the 50’s-60’s, nice to see it here.
Old 30 March 2019, 10:36 AM   #11
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gorgeous. I like how the gold gives it a whole new look compared to mine.

How long does the lume last under an LED?
Thanks! The dial has taken on a nice even, clean, very light champagne patina and my watchmaker delicately cleaned all the gold. It pops.

Let me check now.

Ok, I held it to a 500 lumen pocket light (NEBO Slim) for 60 seconds (I'm assuming it's LED). I counted 143 seconds until my eyes went blurry in the pitch black It starts off super green, and fades rapidly and stays super dim for a majority of the time. So I would say probably up to 3 minutes most of which is dull. And the hands do not glow at all. Just the dots around the indices.
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 10:57 AM   #12
jwrosenthal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! The dial has taken on a nice even, clean, very light champagne patina and my watchmaker delicately cleaned all the gold. It pops.
The underside of the crystal, the dial, hands and indices can take on the slightest of moisture as seals start to fail over time and even though it may not be “water” intrusion, it’s still a funky haze over everything that just dulls everything down. Most people are afraid to get into them, and rightly so, it’s not for the timid as one slip with a swab or toothpick and there goes your lettering or a nice scratch. But a good cleaning inside like that with just a damp q-tip and a light touch can make a world of difference and bring back the dial’s/hands sparkle.
Old 6 April 2019, 01:36 PM   #13
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Picks of the movement and caseback inner.
Old 6 April 2019, 01:40 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Looks like you're going to need a new caseback gasket.
Old 6 April 2019, 01:50 PM   #15
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Looks like you're going to need a new caseback gasket.

Changed. This was taken prior to swapping it.
Old 7 April 2019, 05:14 PM   #16
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
re-6694 manual winders

one of our favorite rolex models. we were told a tip by my wife's Godfather the watch tech concerning the 6694 which could be applied to most any screw-down crown watch.

users of the manual wind 6694 have a tendency to wear out the crown and/or case tube threads as the crown must be unscrewed then screwed down daily to wind the thing. to help preserve the crown threads and tube, watch closely when unscrewing the crown. make a mental note of the clock position of the rolex crown on the crown for when it "pops"-springs out free from it's threads. if let's say for example that position is 2:00, then when screwing down the crown simply start at the 1:45 position so the threads easily engage without causing undue stress by pushing and turning-looking for the engaging point. that tip along with a bit of periodic lube to the crown tube will help the crown and tube threads last indefinitely.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 05:50 PM   #17
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
one of our favorite rolex models. we were told a tip by my wife's Godfather the watch tech concerning the 6694 which could be applied to most any screw-down crown watch.

users of the manual wind 6694 have a tendency to wear out the crown and/or case tube threads as the crown must be unscrewed then screwed down daily to wind the thing. to help preserve the crown threads and tube, watch closely when unscrewing the crown. make a mental note of the clock position of the rolex crown on the crown for when it "pops"-springs out free from it's threads. if let's say for example that position is 2:00, then when screwing down the crown simply start at the 1:45 position so the threads easily engage without causing undue stress by pushing and turning-looking for the engaging point. that tip along with a bit of periodic lube to the crown tube will help the crown and tube threads last indefinitely.

Thanks for the tip. I was already thinking of a how to, you just gave me the answer. Much appreciated.
Old 7 April 2019, 11:34 PM   #18
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I was already thinking of a how to, you just gave me the answer. Much appreciated.
oh and i forgot to mention the obvious which is your watch along with SunTzu's that are both pictured in this thread are absolutely gorgeous. perfect traditional size and a very long produced rolex model. heck i think that model had been made for over 30 years and for good reason.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 07:09 AM   #19
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
oh and i forgot to mention the obvious which is your watch along with SunTzu's that are both pictured in this thread are absolutely gorgeous. perfect traditional size and a very long produced rolex model. heck i think that model had been made for over 30 years and for good reason.

Thank you very much. I agree, the size was worrying at first before I tried it on but once I did I could see a good wrist coverage without looking massive or too small. Any smaller would have been too small for my 7.2 inch wrist.

I think the 6694 was in production from the 50’s to the beginning of the 90’s? So about 30-40 year run.

It is a stunner and my watch guy whom regularly services Rolex and the like said that this watch is one if not the best specimen of a vintage Rolex he has ever seen. We discussed the watch and he had the following points:

The case had 1 small scratch that was unable to polish out. Not a big deal as most of it was polished out anyway.

The crystal is original as is the dial etc. the tritium has worn out just right for its age so this then confirms the legitimacy of his claim.

The band is all original.

The movement is original, in prime condition and has been serviced not long ago. Won’t need one for a few years.
The wind sounds nice and crisp which would be attributed to not being used daily but more of a sometimes watch. So it still feels somewhat fresh for its age.

All around I think I scored a fantastic deal for $2800 aud
Old 8 April 2019, 03:02 PM   #20
Burr
"TRF" Member

Sweet watch, size looks great on you and that crystal bubbles up ove the case so nicely!
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 03:11 PM   #21
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Very nice. Congratulations
Old 8 April 2019, 04:41 PM   #22
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys yeah amazing find really happy. It is definitely my fav watch.
Old 21 April 2019, 09:39 AM   #23
FreshPrince14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 & 6694
Quote:

Great tip... Always wondered about the wear that may be caused to manual wind watches due to the excessive unscrewing of the crown. I'll keep this in mind for my own 6694

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
FreshPrince14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:04 AM   #24
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Well done. Excellent watch. Congratulations!!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote