The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Mwilsey103
Banned

Watch: DJ41/BB58
What’s the deal with Jewelers Mutual Insurance?

Applied for insurance from Jewelers Mutual, after learning of them on this forum, for my new Sub date. I was rejected.

“Unfortunately, we cannot issue the Personal Jewelry Insurance policy you have requested because of your travel exposure, nature of your item, and a credit review.”

I do travel for work, not unusual, and my FICA score is over 800. I don’t get it, any ideas ?
Mwilsey103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:30 AM   #2
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
They want to collect money from low risk clients...

If your travels take you to high risk areas they just arn't going to take the risk on you.

Forget the insurance...and just wear a shitter when you travel.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 12:02 PM   #3
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Self insure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 12:19 PM   #4
mmutte
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I was declined as well. I don’t travel, credit just shy of 800, live in one of the nicest areas in city. I didn’t quite understand it and neither did my insurance agent who recommended I use them to insure our jewelry and watches.
mmutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 01:04 PM   #5
swils8610

Same here. They wouldn’t insure me. I do travel for work a bit, rarely leave the country and credit is rock solid. I put a rider on my home owners insurance instead. Easier and less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 09:16 PM   #6
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I have no issues with Jewelers Mutual and change up stuff regularly with them and have been with them 7+ years now. Have any of you called in and asked them why? Curious to what they would say. There is obviously a risk there not willing to take for some reason. My guess would be Insurance claims in the past but its just a guess.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 09:22 PM   #7
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Weird, I have/use them. Call and see what’s up?
Old 20 April 2019, 09:40 PM   #8
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I don’t think that it’s your FICO score that they are using, there’s an “insurance” credit score that can be linked to but isn’t always the same as your FICO score I believe. Most that get denied for this don’t understand they are using an insurance “credit score” system, not your FICO score. This score is supposed to predict the likelihood that you’ll file a claim. I’m assuming that this is also linked to your areas UCR report.

They take into account your home zip code and use that comparing your zip code to the UCR (Uniform Crime Report) for your area. I used to be responsible for submitting our departments monthly UCR reports to the Department of Justice and they can be tricky and can change monthly. A bad crime month can drastically change your areas UCR score and boom there’s a large reason for your denial. There are things that they take into account that most prospective clients do know or understand.

I’ve used them for years btw.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 10:04 PM   #9
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I use Jewelers Mutual and have never had an issue adding or dropping items. Sometimes they are a bit slow on the additions but a phone call always handles it. Give them a call and see what they tell you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 10:36 PM   #10
mmutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Weird, I have/use them. Call and see what’s up?
I did. Wouldn’t speak with me. Instead, they sent a large stack of papers (their response as to why I was declined), none of which made sense (to me). Everything was vague.
By the time I received their response several weeks later, I had lost interest in the reason I was declined and simply had a rider put on homeowners covering everything.
mmutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 10:53 PM   #11
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I’ve been insured by them for just a little over 4 years. They insure all my watches and wife’s jewelry. If I remember correctly, the application asked how much do you travel and I think I put down 4/5 times a year. Never any issues adding or removing items. Cost is approximately $100 for every $10,000 insured. I also keep the jewelry in a home safe.

My FICO score is 800+ and I live in a Zip Code that has more chickens and cows than people.

Thankfully, I’ve never had to file a claim.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:09 PM   #12
hectorlopez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilsey103 View Post
Applied for insurance from Jewelers Mutual, after learning of them on this forum, for my new Sub date. I was rejected.

“Unfortunately, we cannot issue the Personal Jewelry Insurance policy you have requested because of your travel exposure, nature of your item, and a credit review.”

I do travel for work, not unusual, and my FICA score is over 800. I don’t get it, any ideas ?

Try State Farm. They are excellent to deal with and far cheaper.
hectorlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 02:14 AM   #13
swils8610

I was told due to my traveling I was high risk. I did leave the country once in the last 5 years to visit the British Virgin Isles, which was outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 02:15 AM   #14
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I would use a home or renters policy rider. Far less expensive than any JM quote I've seen. I've also never heard anyone being denied for it.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #15
offrdmania

I use a State Farm "articles policy" for all of my watches. Pretty much the same coverage as Jewelers Mutual and a little less of an annual premium. This may be another option for you OP.
Old 21 April 2019, 02:36 AM   #16
Mwilsey103
Banned

Thank you all for your response. I will call the company for an explanation, if it really matters at this point. Will be shopping for alternatives as suggested in this string.
Old 21 April 2019, 04:15 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilsey103 View Post
Thank you all for your response. I will call the company for an explanation, if it really matters at this point. Will be shopping for alternatives as suggested in this string.
Have you ever filed an insurance claim?

Like all insurance, they are not in business to pay claims. They are in business to NOT pay claims. Paying claims is a nuisance and costs them money.

I also doubt they'd cover one item like a watch. If you had multiple items like wife's jewelry and multiple high end watches that would make you more interesting to them.

And if you need to insure a 8-10 thousand dollar watch possibly you shouldn't be wearing it. At a certain level, we just need to pay our money and take our chances.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:00 AM   #18
Mwilsey103
Banned

I haven’t placed any type of insurance claim in at least 20 years. Gonna call them Monday.
Old 21 April 2019, 01:22 PM   #19
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Home owners rider as others have suggested
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 02:44 PM   #20
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
Jewler’s Mutual can lick my butt.

After the raving reviews I tried to get a policy with them.

Great area, security system, safe, great credit, etc. denied.

I spoke with the agent, underwriter, and department head. Denied.

Got a policy with Travelers for full coverage in 5 minutes.

A week later Jewler’s Mutual called me back, and said they would do it for a premium 4x higher. Piss on that. I told them I had a policy already at a lower cost, they offered to match, and I politely declined their offer.
KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 03:59 AM   #21
AaronPDX
"TRF" Member

I had the same result. I have a high credit score, travel only in the US, and was only looking to insure 2 watches for approx. $15K. I was blown away that JM declined me as I don't think I"ve ever been declined for something like that before.
AaronPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 04:23 AM   #22
Bigblu10
Banned

Jewelers Mutual sounds like a headache and a PIA. I have Nationwide, and just had my agent sign me up for a jewelry policy that covers my watch. Just had to send him an official appraisal from a certified jewelry appraiser. Insured for full MSRP. $200/yr.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 05:14 AM   #23
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
love em! Easy to deal with and very reasonable and I have a 550 cred score.... (jk)
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 05:55 AM   #24
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
love em! Easy to deal with and very reasonable and I have a 550 cred score.... (jk)
Same, I have had JM for years. Initially just for a single watch then added another... no issues.
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 06:33 AM   #25
function12
"TRF" Member

It is also about the premium. You really think they want one customer that pays under $200 a year for coverage. They don't. Now if you have several watches and or some other high dollar jewelry. I bet the would offer you coverage because the premiums will be much more.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 08:54 PM   #26
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have them, I like them and have no issues.

I travel and I take my watches. Clearly more to their underwriting than they indicate.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 08:30 AM   #27
BDB
"TRF" Member

Interesting topic, I'm currently learning about insurance coverage, as I had a Panerai 005 stolen from me while traveling. I have Allstate, and they are working real hard with me, my agent is, but the adjuster let me know that watches depreciate. Because they have moving parts.

I had it scheduled on my policy for $4500. and am waiting to hear how much they pay out, I had incorrectly assumed that a scheduled item would get me the value. my 16610 is also on there, and my Panerai 232, I have them higher, because in my mind they are not as readily available..

Lessons learned.
BDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 10:41 AM   #28
scottgekko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 11610
I had a rider on my homeowner's policy in Dallas. When we relo'd to Reno I inquired about it with Farmers with our rental policy (we're renting for a year until we figure out which area we want to buy). The premium was much higher.
I applied online with Jewelers Mutual and had no issues whatsoever. And much less than the Farmers quote.
scottgekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 01:24 AM   #29
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SUB LV-C/Pepsi C
I have JM and I’ve had to make a claim on a hulk back when they weren’t so crazy and you could get one at under MSRP right here on the forums. JM had me a new watch in my hands in 4 days and didn’t raise my premiums. I’ve always liked them.

My question nowadays since I own a Batman and a Hulk is what happens if they get stolen and I can’t get them replaced for MSRP which is stated on the appraisal?
Old 14 June 2019, 02:20 AM   #30
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that having it attached to your homeowner's insurance as a rider could affect your homeowner's insurance, should you make a claim.

My watches are separate from my homeowner's policy, and is under valuable property insurance with USAA.

I say this because we had a few homeowner's claims (flooding, electrical) that we claimed as 1st time homeowners, not knowing that it could affect our ability to be covered in the future. Lesson learned there...