The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 November 2018, 03:35 AM   #1
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Christmas spirit...unexpected November conversation

As I sit down on a cold autumn day (for me, anything close to 0c-32f is VERY cold!) at my home office, no one around; reflections of my conversation with my daughter earlier today come to mind.

November is here, which means December -and the inevitable Holiday rush- is around the corner. The year has been rough and, as Christmas is starting to show up everywhere, my grumpy self arises. For the last few years, this season has meant stress in many ways; it makes no sense explaining why. There is something about the season that had taken away the magic.

As I drove my daughter to school, we saw a house with Xmas decorations; she smiled at me and told me she was anxious to set up ours. I asked why she liked Christmas; and the reasons evolved from a teenager to a precious human being: school is over, I can sleep in, Netflix all day...it is cold outside, dad. We can sit all together and share stories or watch a movie. You cook delicious comfort food. I get to see our family who lives away. We get to spend time together...as a family.

It hit me. As she walked away, a tear or two rolled down. I am so dumb. I am blessed. Yes, there are things that could be better; but we are healthy and together. I have my family here. Everyone. What else could I ask for?

It is not about spending and running to parties; nor wishing and most times feeling frustrated for not being able to do/get something...it is about what really matters: Family and true friends. Everything else...it will come at the right time.

Thank you for reading; and THANK YOU to TRF, a place where I have made some true, unique friends.

Happy -early- Holidays, TRFers.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 03:36 AM   #2
GerardoG
Banned

...I know, this is a watch forum, so watch pic is a must

Old 15 November 2018, 04:07 AM   #3
mikkoi
"TRF" Member

Nice write up Gerardo! Thats all true, we have to give more time to our family and all loved ones. Actually we should do that all year around not only when there’s a special season or holiday.

I have a 17 years old daughter now and sometimes I stop thinking that soon she’s going to move out by her self and where have all these 17 years gone so quick!!!

In a busy everyday work life we should also remember all our eldest ones, parents, grand parents and so on before it’s too late for that.

Have a great week and rest of year all and Thanks!

PS. G. I still look forward to all your food threads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mikkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 04:35 AM   #4
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Kudos to you!
Christmas has always been difficult for me. Well certainly for a long time.
My best friend was killed in a car accident after saying goodbye to me at a party on Christmas eve about 20 years ago. My dad passed away just after Christmas about 8 years ago. Then 5 years ago I lost my brother on December 16 in a tragic accident that left us having his funeral on Christmas eve day.
Needless to say it was never a fun time for me. Even after we had kids (they are 7 and 4) it was difficult at first but I smiled and enjoyed the fact that they loved it so much.
Two years ago we were decorating our tree one night. My daughters were helping my wife, Christmas music was playing...they were all laughing and it hit my like a thunderbolt.
Started crying at the pure joy they were experiencing. Realized that happiness is sometimes something we have thrust upon us without realizing it. Comes in many forms but needless to say....it was my children that made me forget the bad and remember the good in life and how blessed I really was.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 04:59 AM   #5
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Bravo G, you raised her well! Family and happiness is truly all that matters, everything else comes together one way or another.
Old 15 November 2018, 05:10 AM   #6
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Touching story.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 06:30 AM   #7
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkoi View Post
Nice write up Gerardo! Thats all true, we have to give more time to our family and all loved ones. Actually we should do that all year around not only when there’s a special season or holiday.

I have a 17 years old daughter now and sometimes I stop thinking that soon she’s going to move out by her self and where have all these 17 years gone so quick!!!

In a busy everyday work life we should also remember all our eldest ones, parents, grand parents and so on before it’s too late for that.

Thank you for your comments. Time flies indeed!

...food pics coming up
Old 15 November 2018, 06:31 AM   #8
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassy View Post
Kudos to you!
Christmas has always been difficult for me. Well certainly for a long time.
My best friend was killed in a car accident after saying goodbye to me at a party on Christmas eve about 20 years ago. My dad passed away just after Christmas about 8 years ago. Then 5 years ago I lost my brother on December 16 in a tragic accident that left us having his funeral on Christmas eve day.
Needless to say it was never a fun time for me. Even after we had kids (they are 7 and 4) it was difficult at first but I smiled and enjoyed the fact that they loved it so much.
Two years ago we were decorating our tree one night. My daughters were helping my wife, Christmas music was playing...they were all laughing and it hit my like a thunderbolt.
Started crying at the pure joy they were experiencing. Realized that happiness is sometimes something we have thrust upon us without realizing it. Comes in many forms but needless to say....it was my children that made me forget the bad and remember the good in life and how blessed I really was.
Thank you for sharing. It is unbelievable how something we take for granted shocks us back. Cherish the moments, they are so fragile!!!!
Old 15 November 2018, 06:32 AM   #9
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Bravo G, you raised her well! Family and happiness is truly all that matters, everything else comes together one way or another.
I agree. Tonight, we will have a 'date'. Just my gorgeous daughter and myself. Movies, dinner....why not!!!!!
Old 15 November 2018, 06:32 AM   #10
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Touching story.
Thank you!
Old 15 November 2018, 06:36 AM   #11
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:

As promised.

Trying a new wine today

Pairing with different foods is a must. Grilled panels cheese...

Mole enchiladas...

...and Nutella crepes

Old 15 November 2018, 07:19 AM   #12
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Unfortunately, our daily routines, work and stress can cloud our minds and forget what it truly important. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season enjoying some great food, wine and being around what matters most…your family. And that includes your virtual family, TRF! So you better keep posting food pictures!

Enjoy your night out with your daughter.

PS - those mole enchiladas look yummy!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:25 AM   #13
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Excellent post G, enjoy your father daughter time!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:35 AM   #14
kcmo
"TRF" Member

As always, best wishes to you all, G....
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:43 AM   #15
GerardoG
Banned

Movie

Old 15 November 2018, 09:41 AM   #16
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Love this post so much! It's so important to remember the blessings rather than the frustrations, but sometimes it's hard to do and we need a little reminder. I too am slammed at work right now and look forward to 4 days off for Thanksgiving sitting around a fire with my wife, reading some books, and hopefully getting outside for some snow skiing and winter fat biking.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 11:37 AM   #17
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:06 PM   #18
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
The Christmas season has generally been a tough one for me. I lost my mom to breast cancer when she was 49, on December 25th, 2000. For many years I preferred to not celebrate at all but went along with the program as my wife and her family were big Christmas people. Then we had kids so I had to put on the happy face for them.

I get so frustrated when I see the stories of the people fighting over a TV set at Walmart on Black Friday morning or see some of the greed that overwhelms so many people this time of year.

All I hope for everyone this time of year is that if you aren’t in a good spot with any friends or family, that you find your way there.

Relationships with family, friends and each other are all we got on these few short trips around the sun. Make the most of it.

We will spend most of our holiday season as we always do. With each other, relaxing in front of a warm fire and looking for ways to give back to our favorite charities and causes. Sure, we will attend the requisite number of holiday parties and functions to celebrate with everyone but won’t get caught up with the crazies at the mall!!!!

Happy early holiday season to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:14 PM   #19
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Unfortunately, our daily routines, work and stress can cloud our minds and forget what it truly important. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season enjoying some great food, wine and being around what matters most…your family. And that includes your virtual family, TRF! So you better keep posting food pictures!

Enjoy your night out with your daughter.

PS - those mole enchiladas look yummy!
Thank you for reading. Had a great time with her today; and YES on my virtual family AND food pics!!!!

(mole was sooooo good!)
Old 15 November 2018, 01:14 PM   #20
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Excellent post G, enjoy your father daughter time!
Thank you! Had a GREAT time!!!
Old 15 November 2018, 01:14 PM   #21
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
As always, best wishes to you all, G....
Likewise, K! Please say hello to everyone for me
Old 15 November 2018, 01:15 PM   #22
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
G - very Nice! So special! Very touching.

Blessings,
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:15 PM   #23
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Love this post so much! It's so important to remember the blessings rather than the frustrations, but sometimes it's hard to do and we need a little reminder. I too am slammed at work right now and look forward to 4 days off for Thanksgiving sitting around a fire with my wife, reading some books, and hopefully getting outside for some snow skiing and winter fat biking.
Enjoy every single moment!! Have a GREAT time, laugh and cherish
Old 15 November 2018, 01:15 PM   #24
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Old 15 November 2018, 01:17 PM   #25
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
The Christmas season has generally been a tough one for me. I lost my mom to breast cancer when she was 49, on December 25th, 2000. For many years I preferred to not celebrate at all but went along with the program as my wife and her family were big Christmas people. Then we had kids so I had to put on the happy face for them.

I get so frustrated when I see the stories of the people fighting over a TV set at Walmart on Black Friday morning or see some of the greed that overwhelms so many people this time of year.

All I hope for everyone this time of year is that if you aren’t in a good spot with any friends or family, that you find your way there.

Relationships with family, friends and each other are all we got on these few short trips around the sun. Make the most of it.

We will spend most of our holiday season as we always do. With each other, relaxing in front of a warm fire and looking for ways to give back to our favorite charities and causes. Sure, we will attend the requisite number of holiday parties and functions to celebrate with everyone but won’t get caught up with the crazies at the mall!!!!

Happy early holiday season to everyone.

I will raise a glass of _________ (fill in the blank with favorite beverage) for you and your family! Have a GREAT time!!!!!
Old 15 November 2018, 01:17 PM   #26
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
G - very Nice! So special! Very touching.

Blessings,
DM
Thank you! When you speak from the heart; words flow.
Old 15 November 2018, 01:49 PM   #27
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
I will raise a glass of _________ (fill in the blank with favorite beverage) for you and your family! Have a GREAT time!!!!!

Caymus!! And same to you and yours G!!

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 09:48 PM   #28
mikkoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
As promised.

Trying a new wine today

Pairing with different foods is a must. Grilled panels cheese...

Mole enchiladas...

...and Nutella crepes

Looks very good endeed! Thanks again for shareing these great pics. I bet you had fun evening. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 02:57 AM   #29
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Caymus!! And same to you and yours G!!

Old 16 November 2018, 02:58 AM   #30
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Looks very good endeed! Thanks again for shareing these great pics. I bet you had fun evening. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for reading! And yes, it was fun AND tasty!!!