The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 May 2018, 06:08 AM   #31
RolexComplex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Does that mean the value of the old ones will increase?
Should I invest in an old model?
If I had 3 old model BLNR's a Sea Dweller and 2 Daytonas what would they be worth in 7 years?
Will the new movement fit in the old case, and will Rolex to change it free of charge under warranty?
How much discount can I expect on the new model?
I asked my AD. Here are the answers:
1. Definitely
2. Absolutely
3. $89,456.27
4. No. No.
5. 0% in major cities. 2% in smaller cities.

Last edited by RolexComplex; 23 May 2018 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 23 May 2018, 06:11 AM   #32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation View Post
Just because it doesn't pass your logic test doesn't mean it's not true. I can't tell you why the salesperson told me this information. Only she would be able to give you that information.

I'm not sure why you brought up that adage or how it applies.

If you could provide a source for your last point, that would be great. But, again, just because Rolex did something once doesn't mean they have to keep doing it again.
I brought up that adage because it applies to how secretive Rolex is with their info. It's a well-known fact that they don't leak info before anything happens, regardless of AD size. Think of it this way; what she told you is already on the Internet and can now be read by ADs worldwide. The only way to keep a secret is for Rolex to not tell anyone until the last minute.

Assume it's a rumor until it actually happens. Anything else is just a rumor.

Feel free to ask your AD about silent movement updates. Better yet, ask a different AD. You don't have to take my word for it. The info is readily available online or from ADs who will say that they didn't even know their watches had been updated.

This is why "my AD said" threads don't go over well. It's nothing personal.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:11 AM   #33
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
So because some different salesperson once called "904L steel" "904-11 steel," the salesperson I was talking to today was mistaken?
I'm not sure why this is the hill you want to die on, but you now have a whole thread of knowledgeable members telling you not to believe what you hear at the AD. But hey, believe what you want.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:16 AM   #34
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I brought up that adage because it applies to how secretive Rolex is with their info. It's a well-known fact that they don't leak info before anything happens, regardless of AD size. Think of it this way; what she told you is already on the Internet and can now be read by ADs worldwide. The only way to keep a secret is for Rolex to not tell anyone until the last minute.

Assume it's a rumor until it actually happens. Anything else is just a rumor.

Feel free to ask your AD about silent movement updates. Better yet, ask a different AD. You don't have to take my word for it. The info is readily available online or from ADs who will say that they didn't even know their watches had been updated.

This is why "my AD said" threads don't go over well. It's nothing personal.
Well, thanks for saying that last sentence.

You say it's "a well-known fact that they don't leak info before anything happens, regardless of AD size." Again, you need to provide a source for this "fact."
Old 23 May 2018, 06:19 AM   #35
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Oh dear
Old 23 May 2018, 06:24 AM   #36
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Again, you need to provide a source for this "fact."
You're pretty belligerent for a member that just joined a month ago.

The source for this "fact" is the dozens upon dozens of "My AD said..." threads that get regularly posted that turn out to be false when what actually happens, happens.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:24 AM   #37
Generation
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
I'm not sure why this is the hill you want to die on, but you now have a whole thread of knowledgeable members telling you not to believe what you hear at the AD. But hey, believe what you want.
I guess you don't want to respond to the content of your last post.

You seem to misapply that phrase, by the way, as there is nothing at stake in defending myself in a forum.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:25 AM   #38
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
How many times have we been told “my AD said...” and it turned out to be pure hokum? Just about EVERY time I can recall.

It makes sense that Rolex will update the movement in the GMT line. The real question is how long it will take. Now THAT would be a scoop.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:32 AM   #39
Generation
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
You're pretty belligerent for a member that just joined a month ago.

The source for this "fact" is the dozens upon dozens of "My AD said..." threads that get regularly posted that turn out to be false when what actually happens, happens.
Look up "belligerent." It better describes your penultimate post, not anything I've written.

I must say I wasn't expecting the negative reactions to my OP. I didn't know why people didn't give me and this AD the benefit of the doubt.

If members aren't allowed to pass along information from an AD, that should be expressly written in TRF's rules.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:52 AM   #40
Dyim
"TRF" Member

You can certainly pass info from your AD. However, the info could be inaccurate.

Hang around longer and you will understand the skepticism.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:02 AM   #41
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I talked to a salesperson at an AD today, and she said all the GMT models are getting the new movement this year. Has anyone else heard this?
ADs are always hearing something. Higher prices (always "5% increase next month") this, that... ultimately, less than 20% of those claims turn out to be true.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:05 AM   #42
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I talked to a salesperson at an AD today, and she said all the GMT models are getting the new movement this year. Has anyone else heard this?
Did he said "this year" or "one year from now"
Old 23 May 2018, 07:10 AM   #43
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
My AD guaranteed me that BLNRs and Hulks will not be discontinued for another few years.. he even gave me a 50% deposit on both
Old 23 May 2018, 07:11 AM   #44
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You say it's "a well-known fact that they don't leak info before anything happens, regardless of AD size." Again, you need to provide a source for this "fact."
Like I mentioned previously, ask a different AD for corroboration. Ask three so you have something more substantial. Given that your AD is the one who made a large claim, it's really on her to prove what she told you is correct. Until then, treat it as a rumor. Salespeople are literally the last in the chain to know. Heck, a Rolex trained watchmaker knows sooner than anyone in sales since he or she is responsible for parts and movements.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:11 AM   #45
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Cool, here I was just on the verge of buying one when low and behold I read this thread.
God forbid that I would have blown my only allowable Rolex purchase this lifetime on an outdated watch. Now to put my name on a list with a full purchase deposit and no time frame for when it will arrive.
This is great news, I was first but now I'm 39 on the list for the new BLNR with the new movement.

Sent by Diffusion using Tapatalk
Old 23 May 2018, 07:11 AM   #46
Generation
"TRF" Member

The way I see it, there are only two ways to go about assessing the veracity of the claims made by the salesperson today. One could:

1) Call more ADs.

2) Wait and see what happens.

Now that I know members here don't trust ADs, I don't think there will be many people here calling them about this information. That means one can only wait and see what happens.

I was only trying to help other members by starting this thread.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:12 AM   #47
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Double post via Tapatalk
Old 23 May 2018, 07:14 AM   #48
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was only trying to help other members by starting this thread.
And, conversely, we're trying to help you in not taking everything said by an AD at face value and without question. It goes both ways, really.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:16 AM   #49
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why is that worth waiting for?
Old 23 May 2018, 07:34 AM   #50
Generation
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
Why is that worth waiting for?
Good question. I know it has a longer power reserve.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last movement in use for 10-20 years? It seems like waiting a little longer for the new movement makes sense if you only plan on owning one Rolex for a long time. While I like the Hulk and the No-Date, I soon realized I should get a model with the new movement because I like having the latest technology in expensive items.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:04 AM   #51
2024 Pledge Member

The 3186 is 13 years old. It's already been updated once as the 3187 in the 216570 Explorer II and the GMT never got it.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:13 AM   #52
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Rolex sent my AD some pre release photos of the new 126610LV.

I think we should name it after a comic book hero. Shrek is green. Shall we call it the Shrek?

P.s. you didn't see it here. My AD will get in a lot of trouble for divulging Rolex secrets.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:15 AM   #53
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Thanks OP for the good nature of your post, unfortunately there have been a lot of misguided truths/utter lies spoken by ADs that are presented on TRF so that’s where everyone is coming from.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:16 AM   #54
dmash
"TRF" Member

Haha, this is honestly just laughable at this point.

First we had an onslaught of ‘BLNR WILL BE DISCONTINUED’ threads.....now we will have to deal with the ‘BLNR IS INEVITABLY GETTING UPGRADED’ threads?

Make it stopppppp
Old 23 May 2018, 08:17 AM   #55
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just because it doesn't pass your logic test doesn't mean it's not true. I can't tell you why the salesperson told me this information. Only she would be able to give you that information.

I'm not sure why you brought up that adage or how it applies.

If you could provide a source for your last point, that would be great. But, again, just because Rolex did something once doesn't mean they have to keep doing it again.

If you saw the number of "trust me my AD is in the inner circle and was flown out to Switzerland for inside info and had dinner and a movie with the head of marketing and spent the night on Hans Wildorf's couch so trust me my source is good" posts, you'd know that AD's don't really know very much regarding what is going to happen tomorrow.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:33 AM   #56
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
I just picked up a BLNR last month -- was mainly to commemorate a milestone, so I didn't want to wait. I may sound like the sucker trying to justify my purchase (if this ends up being true) but I don't regret it at all. It's not the easiest watch to get a hold of today and I wanted one. The prospect of it getting a new movement (upon announcement of the new GMTs) didn't make me pause and think I should wait for them to potentially update the model. I don't view watches like phones where I need to have the latest and greatest specs in it every time a new one is released. I also don't view this watch as an investment vehicle -- but it's pretty cool to know I was able to get my hands on the "original" reference BLNR if it is here to stay for awhile through future updates.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:42 AM   #57
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
AD are like politicians, enough said!

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Old 23 May 2018, 08:56 AM   #58
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
In any case there will always be a newer movement coming. Question is when. So do we keep on waiting. I say don’t worry about all this talk of new stuff. Live in the now and just get what you like and available now.

And OP the guys here are cynics because they’ve seen this kinda thing for a while. Best to have an open mind and soak up all the info and knowledge you can get here.
Old 23 May 2018, 09:19 AM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well it was the longest winter here I can ever remember... bloody lovely now tho.
Old 23 May 2018, 09:23 AM   #60
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Here we go again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Closed Thread