The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2010, 05:44 AM   #61
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNYC13 View Post
__________________________________________________ _____________

How is Torneu not being fair?! It's supply and demand, if nobody buys their watches, they can't afford to keep their stores open - let alone be the "largest watch store in the world".
Is it fair for the building owner in NYC to charge $2,700.00 for a studio apartment? I know from my life experience, it's a lot to pay but if you want that apartment, that watch, that dinner, you pay...and in New York City, if you don't pay, there are 1000 people lined up behind you to pay.

Spend a day on the NY Subway and tell me why you pay good money to ride in a stinky subway, full of trash?! lol - that's more over priced that a Used SS Daytona.

As you said, the OP wasn't even "buying", it sounds like he was looking...that's fine, but don't lecture the sales associate on how much she is charging - I am sure she couldn't care less what the 150th person of the day who came in to ask about the SS Daytona had to say about the price. All she cares about is the one that says, "I'll take it, here is my Credit Card".

-Pete
A NYC apartment is intrinsically worth more than an apt in the boonies. A SS Daytona bought from a NYC dealer is NOT instrinsically worth more than a SS Daytona bought from the boonies.

So your logic doesn't make any sense.

And you may argue that Torneau pays a lot more for their space than the AD in suburbia - yes, that's true. But the sheer volume of sales will offset that. You don't NEED to raise prices 50% to cover that.

And you can lecture the saleslady, she represents the company. Nothing personal, it's all business.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 05:49 AM   #62
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
This thread is starting to look like a filibuster in the US senate.
Old 5 April 2010, 05:59 AM   #63
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
A NYC apartment is intrinsically worth more than an apt in the boonies. A SS Daytona bought from a NYC dealer is NOT instrinsically worth more than a SS Daytona bought from the boonies.

So your logic doesn't make any sense.

And you may argue that Torneau pays a lot more for their space than the AD in suburbia - yes, that's true. But the sheer volume of sales will offset that. You don't NEED to raise prices 50% to cover that.

And you can lecture the saleslady, she represents the company. Nothing personal, it's all business.

But a one bedroom is a one bedroom...there is no more space, no special features, it's extra value is based only on what people will pay - and do.

I think it's not perfect but it's in the same area as what we are discussing.

-Pete
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 07:28 AM   #64
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But a one bedroom is a one bedroom...there is no more space, no special features, it's extra value is based only on what people will pay - and do.

I think it's not perfect but it's in the same area as what we are discussing.

-Pete
A 1 bedroom is 1 bedroom. I agree with you.

BUT, a 1br in NYC is worth what you pay for it because you can sell it for the same amount.

A SS Daytona from Torneau is not worth any more than a SS Daytona from anywhere else.

I know someone in NYC will pay for it without batting an eye, but not the OP and not me.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Old 5 April 2010, 07:32 AM   #65
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgs View Post
I wouldn't pay anything over $10k for it...
Absolutely - new ones aren't much more.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 09:07 AM   #66
dannyny

Watch: Daytona
ribeye at wollensky's is better

man, i was at the same tourneau yesterday and they told me about that same rolex...there's no way im going to buy it knowing i can find one new at a lower price, also the salesman mentioned if they had a new one they wouldnt sell it to me it was reserved for their vip clients o well i guess i have to find one elsewhere...

looking for a M or V brand new ss daytona back dial if anyone has one for close to MSRP thanks
dannyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 09:15 AM   #67
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
ribeye at wollensky's is better

man, i was at the same tourneau yesterday and they told me about that same rolex...there's no way im going to buy it knowing i can find one new at a lower price, also the salesman mentioned if they had a new one they wouldnt sell it to me it was reserved for their vip clients o well i guess i have to find one elsewhere...

looking for a M or V brand new ss daytona back dial if anyone has one for close to MSRP thanks
VIP clients eh?

Old 5 April 2010, 09:19 AM   #68
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
A 1 bedroom is 1 bedroom. I agree with you.

BUT, a 1br in NYC is worth what you pay for it because you can sell it for the same amount.

A SS Daytona from Torneau is not worth any more than a SS Daytona from anywhere else.

I know someone in NYC will pay for it without batting an eye, but not the OP and not me.
__________________________________________________ ______________

But what about the nerve of them to charge $4,000.00 month rent.
I think we just disagree a little so, let's move on and agree that New York City is freakin' expensive! :-)

-Pete
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 09:24 AM   #69
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Wollensky's ribeye IS good, but it's the Luger big-ass porterhouse that has my heart (and tastebuds!)
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 09:27 AM   #70
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Quote:
__________________________________________________ ______________

But what about the nerve of them to charge $4,000.00 month rent.
I think we just disagree a little so, let's move on and agree that New York City is freakin' expensive! :-)

-Pete
I agree Pete... NYC is very very expensive! I thought Chicago was expensive but you guys are on another level!!

Old 5 April 2010, 10:56 AM   #71
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinthemiddle View Post
Wollensky's ribeye IS good, but it's the Luger big-ass porterhouse that has my heart (and tastebuds!)
I prefer the little-ass porterhouse myself!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 11:01 AM   #72
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
They price it as such because of the supply/demand "shortage" and long waiting list (since they probably don't have a new s/s in stock). It's obviously negotiable and the buyer will end up getting $3-4k off that price and walk out smiling.

Anyone paying the full $15.9 isn't from NYC or not very savvy.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 11:03 AM   #73
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Look at the price and if its too high walk, you know you can find it for a better price here or at a recommended AD. I can give you a recommendation for an AD that could save you 20% and might even be able to order you a brand new daytona direct from Rolex. Price is all relative just like everyone is saying. I dont mind overpaying for stuff if its worth it.
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 11:05 AM   #74
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatesq View Post
I was looking to buy but the saleswoman was a real turn off - no way I was going to give her a commission. The same watch was at a gray dealer on 47th for $5k less. Guess that big fancy store and gimicky interest free financing have their cost.

I should also note that the watch was essentially brand new but in the pre-owned cases. If I didn't know better, I would think that Tourneau was selling their new Daytonas as used to earn an extra buck.
It could very well be a "new" watch that someone bought and changed their mind or ended up trading in.

Also, some people find it more appealing to buy a used watch from Tourneau (w/ 2 year warranty) instead of saving a few bucks on 47th
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 11:41 AM   #75
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Our leader has spoken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
What a rip off!!

For US$15,900, catch one of our trusted TRF sellers and you will not only get a brand new SS Daytona, but also a brand new SS Sub-date and still have enough change left over to take your wife out to a nice dinner!!

JJ
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 12:16 PM   #76
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't buy a thing from Tourneau & I hope they go outta business for that sh** they pull
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 12:25 PM   #77
sirjohnbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'chu lookin' at???
I walked into the Tourneau's on LI a year or two back and asked them about a SS Daytona. The salesman told me that after I bought four Rolexes from them, he would "order" one for me.

I gave him the same reaction as if he had just blown a loud and violent fart. I smiled politely, thanked him, and walked quickly away.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." Homer Simpson

SS Midsize DJ 68274 "L"
TT Jubilee DJ 116233 "Z"
Sea Dweller DS 116660 "V"
SS White Dial Daytona "V"
sirjohnbrian is offline   Reply With Quote