The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2019, 02:26 AM   #31
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
In motion = wear
Not in motion = no wear

They don’t use all of those different oils for nothing.

If I’m not wearing it, I don’t want it to be running.
Old 17 April 2019, 02:43 AM   #32
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
None of my Rolexs’ reserve times are as advertised.
Same I get 53 hours from the 3135 in my 116610 and I get 42 hours from my tudor blackbay eta
I've not tested the reserve on my hulk though
But generally you get way more power reserve than advertised
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:56 AM   #33
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallranger View Post
Anecdotal evidence doesn’t count here. An internal combustion engine is not a watch. Watches are engineered to run continuously for years while cars are not. How much damage can come from unscrewing a crown and winding it daily? Do solvents settle or can parts seize up like a car engine if they sit idle too long?

I think it’s a fair question to ask for some sort of study or proof that watch winders are good for or harm your watch if used consistently. Any number of Google searches will turn up differing opinions but I’ve yet to see any scientific evidence supporting either case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does an internal combustion engine have gears? What causes them to wear?
Old 17 April 2019, 02:57 AM   #34
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
In motion = wear
Not in motion = no wear

They don’t use all of those different oils for nothing.

If I’m not wearing it, I don’t want it to be running.
Right
Just because a watch is designed to run, doesn’t mean one should force the issue when not needed.
Old 17 April 2019, 02:57 AM   #35
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
My EXPII has never been at a 48 hrs reserve and it is about 1 year old.

I think 48 hrs is a stretch. I bet I'm around 36 hrs also and I wear mine daily but the odd time I don't for a day or two and always have to set the time, even after a full wind.

My wife's OP26 is about the same. Not near 48hrs and her watch is not even a year old as well.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:19 AM   #36
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
My EXPII has never been at a 48 hrs reserve and it is about 1 year old.

I think 48 hrs is a stretch. I bet I'm around 36 hrs also and I wear mine daily but the odd time I don't for a day or two and always have to set the time, even after a full wind.

My wife's OP26 is about the same. Not near 48hrs and her watch is not even a year old as well.
If your winding the watch 40 to 50 times cw and putting it down to test and you not getting past 48 hours or super close there is an issue imo
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:32 AM   #37
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap1976 View Post
If your winding the watch 40 to 50 times cw and putting it down to test and you not getting past 48 hours or super close there is an issue imo
I am going to do an actual timed test tonight so no more speculation. In the recent past I have set it down after a full wind and not touched it for around 1 1/2 to 2 days and it is always stopped.

I'll give it a full wind and check back in 48 hrs and see. I'll even check in at 40 hrs also.
Old 17 April 2019, 03:44 AM   #38
jcross
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
If winders caused extra damage to a watch, nobody would buy them and no AD would recommend them. My AD said its good to keep it running so the lubricants don't dry out. Letting it run down and rewinding I'm sure it also just fine as long as your watch doesn't sit for months on end without running. Everyone will do what makes them feel good and at the end of the day if I can afford a Rolex I can afford the service, so who cares!
jcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 05:11 AM   #39
Adam Brian
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the responses haha. I don't know why I didn't realise that it wouldn't have been fully winded when I took it off after wearing it . I will start winding it up after I take it off at night and also I will do a test and see how much the power reserve is. The reason I don't wear it all the time is because I also wear my Omega Seamaster often too. Also, thanks for giving me all of this new information about watch winders!
Adam Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 05:30 AM   #40
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcross View Post
If winders caused extra damage to a watch, nobody would buy them and no AD would recommend them. My AD said its good to keep it running so the lubricants don't dry out. Letting it run down and rewinding I'm sure it also just fine as long as your watch doesn't sit for months on end without running. Everyone will do what makes them feel good and at the end of the day if I can afford a Rolex I can afford the service, so who cares!
I don’t think anybody said EXTRA
Your AD is about 30 years behind on lubricants
Old 17 April 2019, 06:31 AM   #41
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap1976 View Post
Same I get 53 hours from the 3135 in my 116610 and I get 42 hours from my tudor blackbay eta
I've not tested the reserve on my hulk though
But generally you get way more power reserve than advertised
My experience is the opposite with Rolex.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:49 AM   #42
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_plus1234 View Post
My power reserve was ~36 hours. I sent it to RSC under warranty and they said the rotor needed servicing. The watch was less than 2 years old at the time.

I encourage ppl to check the reserve right before their warranty ends. It's something worth checking because it might be a problem that you might never know about if you wear your watch daily

This is terrific advice, well said

To the original problem, so many people do not consider possibility that they aren't active enough/moving watch enough for it to keep full wind, then they wonder why it doesn't have full power reserve even though they have sedentary lifestyles. If you aren't active with in your watch wearing habits, just realize you need to help the watch out and wind it occasionally.
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:43 PM   #43
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
I am going to do an actual timed test tonight so no more speculation. In the recent past I have set it down after a full wind and not touched it for around 1 1/2 to 2 days and it is always stopped.

I'll give it a full wind and check back in 48 hrs and see. I'll even check in at 40 hrs also.
I checked in with my reserve test early. A whopping 34 hours is all I could get so not even close to 48 hours reserve.

I gave the watch a full wind at 5:30 am yesterday on the 17th and let it sit undisturbed until I checked in today and it stopped today at 3:30 pm. I should be getting more reserve than that.
Old 19 April 2019, 03:01 PM   #44
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just because a watch is designed to run, doesn’t mean one should force the issue when not needed.
This can be true at the same time as an analogy to an internal combustion engine can be silly.

If you have a reasonable point to make, there's no need to exaggerate to make it. No analogy is perfect, but if that was the best you could find then it suggests a weakness in your argument in the first place.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 03:26 PM   #45
Hub6152
Banned

And still no one ever produces any actual evidence that winders cause extra wear beyond that of normal use age. The anti winder brigade should stop dissing on those that choose to use them.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:51 PM   #46
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
I was in a dealers store recently and asked about winders. He said that if watches needed winders they would come with one. Then I noticed behind him a wall covered in every brand of winder you can imagine. I’ve never seen hard evidence on yes or no to winders only divided opinion.

I have a friend who is renovating and is having one or two 32 place winders built into his walk in robe. Insanity.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:31 PM   #47
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
Four independent watchmakers were posed the question about winders by one of the online watch magazines not so long ago. Their opinion was spilt 50/50 and the verdict was inconclusive. It’s personal choice and, as long as proper maintenance is observed, a good quality winder is a perfectly acceptable device to use. It’s really that simple.
This is spot on.

A watch winder simulates continuous wear which is accounted for in the manufacturer’s advised service intervals.

There will be examples of early failure and examples of watches that just keep on truckin for years after they should have died. But for the majority of watches there will be no ill effects from use of a winder or from leaving it to stop when you don’t wear it.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 09:26 PM   #48
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I have a half dozen watches I rotate, most are autos and most get stored on winders, especially those with day/date (not a Rolex Day Date).

Somehow, even though I have an actual job, I am able to allow time to set and/or wind my watch in the morning. I know the OP currently finds it a bit daunting and must be in awe of my exceptional skills, but I say to him... set this as your goal, apply yourself and never ever quit. Or just set your alarm 2 minutes early...that will work too.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote