The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Closed Thread

Old 6 July 2013, 03:27 AM   #61
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I enjoy my Black Monster and my Rolex watches. I think of it as picking the right watch for what I am doing or how I feel. Just a thought.
Nail on head!

I too enjoy my Orange Monster and Rolex, and G-shocks, and many others equally...
Old 6 July 2013, 03:32 AM   #62
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This thing has pretty much run its course, don't you think?

Horses for courses...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 12 July 2013, 03:27 AM   #63
DryCleanOnly

Watch: Exp II White dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMatt View Post
I paid about $260 for this watch from Amazon.de - it's a six band atomic; always spot on for time, day, and date. For what it is, I love the watch. It's a great weekender and something I can wear while washing the car, cooking on the grill, or just hanging around the house or running errands. I think it's one of the best looking G-shocks ever made, and the fact that it is a limited edition makes it even more fun to own..
That being said, it's not a Rolex, PP, AP, Omega, Breitling, PAM, etc..etc.. Just not in the same league, but I appreciate what it is - a pretty damn cool watch for not much money.

That's the coolest G-Shock i've ever seen! time to find one like it!! I own a dry cleaners in an upscale neighborhood but always hesitant on wearing my Explorer II here. I get enough lame comments on my italian made clothing and american made fancy pants jeans. I couldn't imagine what I'd get if I wore my Rolex here.
Old 12 July 2013, 03:38 AM   #64
DryCleanOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
I could never justify buying a Rolex again. For that matter I don't think I could buy any expensive watch again. During my time of dabbling with Rolex watches I have owned 3 different Submariners, an Explorer 2, a new Milguass, and a GMT II.

Recently I had to put my 16610 on market because I need the cash for my business. Its replacement was a Seiko Black Monster purchased new off of Amazon for $211.00, and that included next day delivery.

My observations so far:

* The Monster, an automatic, keeps better time then any of the Rolex watches I have owned to date. I got the watch 3 days ago and so far it has gained 1 second total in 3 days.
* The Monster lume is 100 times better then ANYTHING Rolex has out. After 12 hours of sleep in a room with zero light, the lume still shines perfectly bright.
* With drilled lug holes it is as easy as it gets to swap out bracelet for Nato and vice versa. Because of the indention's on the back lugs, it is actually 10 times easier to install the bracelet then on my 16610.
* The Monster bracelet is in my opinion, better then the 93150.. I say this because of the clasp system, the solid end links, and the overall solid feel of the bracelet. If I ever manage to destroy this bracelet, do you know what a brand new one costs??? $59!
* The unidirectional bezel is smoother and flat out works better then the one on my sub.
* The monster has a day and date complication.... You cant get that complication in Rolex on a new watch without spending more then 20k!
* Factory Replacement and Custom parts for this watch are ridiculously cheap!!!! Dials are $15! Saphire crystals $60! Hand sets $15! Bezels $15 (5) case gaskets $12! complete 7s26 MOVEMENTS $50!!!!

For the price of my Rolex insurance policy, I could buy a new Monster each year. Unbelievable.
Your comments like this is just as terrible as a Ford Focus owner going on a Porsche / Audi / Mercedes / go fast car forum and ranting on how much better your car is over something that cost as much as 10 times more than your Ford. You kind of asked for it. Enjoy your Seiko and enjoy the look on your kids face when you hand it down and say "you know, this could have been a Rolex". I have known and met MANY people that inherit fathers/grandfathers Rolex watches and NONE of them keep it in a drawer. They wear it proud and gladly say it was handed down (like my fathers 2 tone GMT I will inherit one day).

At the end of the day, its your decision on what you do. No need to make such comments to Rolex/Luxury watch owners/admirers here even if you were a previous owner of one.

One will always be corrected when making an apples to oranges comment.
Old 12 July 2013, 03:47 AM   #65
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCleanOnly View Post
No need to make such comments to Rolex/Luxury watch owners/admirers here even if you were a previous owner of one.

One will always be corrected when making an apples to oranges comment.
It was just an honest viewpoint, expressed by someone who has owned lots of nice watches. It's not like he's kicked out of the club for being a mere "previous owner."

He knows he's comparing apples to oranges. I respect his right to question the high prices of oranges and prefer apples. Especially since we're in the "other fruits" section of the orange forum.
Old 12 July 2013, 03:50 AM   #66
badgtho
"TRF" Member

Why buy a diamond engagement ring. A cubic Z is fine.
CA1215 Formula 1 Chrono
Etc...
Old 12 July 2013, 04:03 AM   #67
badgtho
"TRF" Member

Ill go a step further. Threads like this make me giggle. Surely the OP does not apply this same logic to everything in life. I understand the point of such a thread is to make an inflammatory statement and bask in the glow of the flaming that's sure to come.

Allow me to indulge.
If you think that the cost of a rolex has anything to do with its quality, cost of production or "value" then I hate to break it to you: it doesn't. I'm so sick of these threads about how well these watches keep time or how much they cost to service. Use your cell phone to keep time. Buy a quartz to save on svc.

You buy a rolex for the same reason you buy any luxury good. Because it makes you feel good. You enjoy the look, the feel, the history, the statement it makes.

The Seiko makes a statement as well. It's just a different statement.

This thread reads like one of those airplane mag ads for a Stauer Daytona ripoff. I think it says something like. "This watch is for someone that has nothing to prove because he's already proven it." It's silly because the whole reason you would wear the copy of a Daytona is because you want but cannot afford the real thing.
CA1215 Formula 1 Chrono
Etc...
Old 12 July 2013, 04:26 AM   #68
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgtho View Post
I'm so sick of these threads...Use your cell phone to keep time. Buy a quartz to save on svc.
Not too sick to comment repeatedly, apparently. The "cell phone" argument, seriously? It's fine if you think super-cheap quartzes and high-end luxury Swiss watches are the only watches that should exist on Earth...but we can discuss low-end automatic watches if we wish.

I like the fact that my automatic/mechanical watches keep good time; I like the fact that there's an accurate little machine in there ticking away, and I don't like always looking at my cell phone. I don't see why discussing timekeeping on a watch forum is so laughable to you.
Old 12 July 2013, 04:32 AM   #69
badgtho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Not too sick to comment repeatedly, apparently. The "cell phone" argument, seriously? It's fine if you think super-cheap quartzes and high-end luxury Swiss watches are the only watches that should exist on Earth...but we can discuss low-end automatic watches if we wish.

I like the fact that my automatic/mechanical watches keep good time; I like the fact that there's an accurate little machine in there ticking away, and I don't like always looking at my cell phone. I don't see why discussing timekeeping on a watch forum is so laughable to you.
It's not laughable.
It proves the point that a watch is more than just a utility by which one tells time.
If a watch is evaluated by that merit alone it's not much of an enthusiast community.

The sophistication of the movement, the style, the history, the existence of precious metals etc are all evaluated when one purchases a watch.

I'd like to see the OP's argument for classic car collectors. A new Prius is much more reliable and fuel efficient than a vintage Bmw.
Right?
CA1215 Formula 1 Chrono
Etc...
Old 12 July 2013, 04:38 AM   #70
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If a watch is evaluated by that merit alone it's not much of an enthusiast community.

The sophistication of the movement, the style, the history, the existence of precious metals etc are all evaluated when one purchases a watch.
I can agree with that, I'm just saying it's acceptable to critique a Seiko Monster from an enthusiast's perspective.

Quote:
I'd like to see the OP's argument for classic car collectors. A new Prius is much more reliable and fuel efficient than a vintage Bmw.
Right?
Ah, again with your car analogies. Well, a new Prius isn't necessarily cheaper than a vintage BMW...In any case, if he was an expensive-sports-car enthusiast, and found a cheap-sports-car that offered very favorable performance, I wouldn't mind reading about it on a car forum.
Old 12 July 2013, 04:57 AM   #71
badgtho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
I can agree with that, I'm just saying it's acceptable to critique a Seiko Monster from an enthusiast's perspective.

Ah, again with your car analogies. Well, a new Prius isn't necessarily cheaper than a vintage BMW...In any case, if he was an expensive-sports-car enthusiast, and found a cheap-sports-car that offered very favorable performance, I wouldn't mind reading about it on a car forum.
Ok. So a Subaru BRZ vs a vintage Ferrari.

And my point about the Seiko is:

I'm sure it's got spot on accuracy and looks Ok and im told the price is good.
I'm not a watch fanatic for those facts alone. In fact that stuff hardly matters to me. The engineering, the style, the history all means more to me.

I'd choose the Ferrari over the sube. Even if its slower, handles worse, costs more and is less reliable.
CA1215 Formula 1 Chrono
Etc...
Old 12 July 2013, 05:27 AM   #72
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sure it's got spot on accuracy and looks Ok...The engineering, the style, the history all means more to me.
The spot-on accuracy and "OK looks" are a mere result of Seiko's engineering, style, and history. I agree that Rolexes generally look better...but Seikos are still worthy of discussion.

Quote:
I'd choose the Ferrari over the sube. Even if its slower, handles worse, costs more and is less reliable.
That's fair, but I wouldn't drop my cash on a new Ferrari that couldn't spank a BRZ around a track. If you're talking vintage Ferrari, well, the intangible merits of vintage vs. new is another debate.
Old 12 July 2013, 06:58 AM   #73
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCleanOnly View Post
That's the coolest G-Shock i've ever seen! time to find one like it!! I own a dry cleaners in an upscale neighborhood but always hesitant on wearing my Explorer II here. I get enough lame comments on my italian made clothing and american made fancy pants jeans. I couldn't imagine what I'd get if I wore my Rolex here.
Thanks! The model number is GW-3000M. I think they're pretty hard to find in the states, other than inflated prices on eBay. If you can't find one for a decent price, shoot me a pm and maybe I can pick one up and ship it to you.
Old 12 July 2013, 07:09 AM   #74
DryCleanOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMatt View Post
Thanks! The model number is GW-3000M. I think they're pretty hard to find in the states, other than inflated prices on eBay. If you can't find one for a decent price, shoot me a pm and maybe I can pick one up and ship it to you.
On eBay for $500-$650 shipped. It's a bit much for a G Shock to me. Thanks for themselves number tho. I will be looking every so often and see if the price goes down.
Old 12 July 2013, 02:29 PM   #75
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
After doing a google search for Seiko Black Monster, I vomited a little in my mouth...

I can't speak to the functionality comparisons because I dont known a Seiko Black Monster, but if you are that concerned with accuracy and lum, why not just look at your cell phone?

If you aren't buying a Rolex because they make they best looking watches in the world, because you value the history, the craftsmanship, the investment potential... then Black Monster it is!

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 12 July 2013, 03:02 PM   #76
nanagno
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 RD
People make different choices based even on the same needs.
Trying to justify and compare their choices, based on what others did/do is a way of making sure and convincing themselfs that they did the right choice.
Commonly people after the choice has been made, based on their personal characteristics often try to connect with others that did either the same choice or they prolude to convince others to do the same.
This is human nature, it is done almost everyday by all of us in so many different things.
Functional things such as toilet paper and carbage bags usually do not carry any emotional attachments. But watches for men, usually do.
What our friend did with his Seiko is his honest opinion shared with a community that he was previously connected with, and tried to convince others, in an obstruct way, that Rolex and Seiko are the same.
But they really are, due to the fact, that for various reasons his emotional connection with an item have changed, and became purely functional. Which is a watch tells time, thus he has no emotional connection as he used to have with another brand, i.e. Rolex. Which is purely understandable and does make sense.
Not always people can extrovert what has changed, in an open way.

So enjoy your Seiko!
I hope your business picks up, and soon get a watch that does put a great smile on your face!
Old 16 August 2013, 02:58 AM   #77
watchupee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.president1 View Post
That's great to here man! and congrats on the new find. However, in the long run I will bet every cent I have that your Rolexes will last much longer if taken care of properly. Rolex in itself is a master piece. I'm sure it's a great watch, but for how long... Just my 2Cents...
I have a seiko 6309 from 78' that was purchased from the original owner who was a navy seal that was USED, it's working just fine and is quite collectible amongst certain DW enthusiasts.....Is it a Rolex? Hell no, but it's still a cool watch with a lot of history. Believe it or not seiko has a bit of DW history, but c'mon, it's still just a seiko right?
Old 16 August 2013, 03:12 AM   #78
watchupee
"TRF" Member

Here is a pic forgot...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376586739.482929.jpg
Old 16 August 2013, 03:27 AM   #79
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
When it comes to luxury items there is always something bigger or better or more expensive ... it never ends.

For me, a Rolex has very little to do with anything other than the brand appreciation and I think it represents good value.

If you prefer your Monster to your Rolex, than I for one think you've made the right choice.
Old 16 August 2013, 07:00 AM   #80
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Congrats i guess

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
Old 16 August 2013, 02:46 PM   #81
shnxx
"TRF" Member

Lol these watches r pretty ugly
Old 16 August 2013, 04:06 PM   #82
watchupee
"TRF" Member

Lol wow, a lot of these comments aren't helping the negative stereotypes of rolex owners held by many WIS. I think the OP's comment was reaching a bit but some of the ensuing comments were pretty shallow and pompous IMO.
Old 16 August 2013, 05:14 PM   #83
shnxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchupee View Post
Lol wow, a lot of these comments aren't helping the negative stereotypes of rolex owners held by many WIS. I think the OP's comment was reaching a bit but some of the ensuing comments were pretty shallow and pompous IMO.
Well questioning the value of Rolex on a Rolex forum is kind of pompous too.

I wouldn't go to a jaguar enthusiast forum and talk about how a Civic is much better.
Old 16 August 2013, 06:27 PM   #84
Andad

Watch: A few.
Well Seiko do make the most accurate watch in the world.

And it is even better than my Seiko Monster.

I set my watches to it........but its NOT a ROLEX.

And never will be.

I have no problem with someone who likes Seikos but to post this:

Why even own a Rolex when you can get this?

is.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07825r.jpg (239.1 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05330_resize.JPG (80.0 KB, 423 views)

Old 17 August 2013, 04:38 PM   #85
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

Let's assume for a moment that the OP's statement is true, basically that the objective quality and features of the aforementioned Seiko are equal or better than the Rollie. Fine.

But it doesn't really matter because it all boils down to perceptions; in this case, likely, the perceptual 'investment' value of the item. Perceptions are, by their very nature, subjective, which in turn negates any attempt at objective reasoning.

I hope you enjoy your Seiko; it is indeed a fine watch.
Old 17 August 2013, 04:45 PM   #86
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Don't worry I still love ROLEX. In fact I just flipped my sub for a mint 91 Explorer 2.

Now I have the perfect combination... I wear the explorer during the day at work and when we go out. I wear the monster at home and in bed. PERFECT!
Ah, now I understand.

Old 26 August 2013, 08:38 PM   #87
JbirdZA

Watch: SS 16610
This thread made me think about a comparison between processed meat and the real deal...i mean, both of them will fulfill the requirement of making you less hungry.

and

Old 27 August 2013, 03:33 AM   #88
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I could never justify buying a Rolex again. For that matter I don't think I could buy any expensive watch again. During my time of dabbling with Rolex watches I have owned 3 different Submariners, an Explorer 2, a new Milguass, and a GMT II.

Recently I had to put my 16610 on market because I need the cash for my business. Its replacement was a Seiko Black Monster purchased new off of Amazon for $211.00, and that included next day delivery.

For the price of my Rolex insurance policy, I could buy a new Monster each year. Unbelievable.
Quote:
Don't worry I still love ROLEX. In fact I just flipped my sub for a mint 91 Explorer 2.

Now I have the perfect combination... I wear the explorer during the day at work and when we go out. I wear the monster at home and in bed.

PERFECT!
Having just gone through the thread again, I'm not buying it.

First you tell us you recently had to sell your Sub because you needed cash for your business, and you replaced it with the Seiko. But 4 days later the story is you flipped the Sub for another Rolex? Also, not getting how the Monster replaced your Sub if A) You flipped the Sub for an ExpII and, B) you don't wear it out of the house.

Sorry, but it doesn't pass the smell test.

Seems like the the critics didn't like the original script so you rewrote it. It would have gotten rave reviews on a Seiko forum.
Old 29 August 2013, 04:15 AM   #89
tommyz24
"TRF" Member

my thought on this thread....P.S,,,i actually want to buy a seiko as my beater..but
Old 29 September 2013, 06:52 AM   #90
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by JbirdZA View Post
This thread made me think about a comparison between processed meat and the real deal...i mean, both of them will fulfill the requirement of making you less hungry.

and

Don't be too hard on SPAM. On many a backpacking trip, been looking mighty forward to opening that can at the end of the day.

Just like with watches, different occasions can call for different things.