The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 January 2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Ajm79er
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Cost of Vintage Rolex Repair

Hi all. First off, I am a new poster to this group, and am not a watch aficionado by any means. My grandparents were pretty well off, and as a result my grandfather had a lot of Rolex watches. I never met my grandfather, as he died before my birth. I did however, inherent his Oyster Perpetual Datejust that was given to him as an anniversary present in 1976. There are some issues with the watch. It doesn't keep time (but I've heard this is expected for a watch that has sat as long as this one.) There are other issues, though. The glass case is cracked, and the gold trim that encircles it has snapped off. I still have the gold piece. Furthermore the whole watch looks like it needs polishing. Also, the watch has a leather band, and I doubt it is original. I'm in law school, and I'd like to wear the watch during my first case. How much would restoring the watch cost? I'm unsure as to whether I want to replace the band, so how much more would that add to the cost of repairing just the watch alone? Furthermore, what's the best way to go about fixing the watch? Are there recommended watchmakers it can only Rolex do them? Thank you very much to those who reply.
Ajm79er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:40 AM   #2
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Post some pics
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:47 AM   #3
alexkarbo
"TRF" Member

Welcome! If you can post some pictures, I'm certain you will find all the answers to your questions.
alexkarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Ajm79er
"TRF" Member

As you can see it isn't in the greatest shape.
Old 3 January 2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Ajm79er
"TRF" Member

Here are the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.3 KB, 607 views)
Old 3 January 2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Ajm79er
"TRF" Member

Another photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.3 KB, 602 views)
Old 3 January 2017, 11:43 AM   #7
alexkarbo
"TRF" Member

You will definitely need a new gold bezel and acrylic crystal. Bezel won't be cheap but if you look around you might find a preowned one for much less then what Rolex will charge you. You also will need to have the movement serviced. I would stay away from any polishing and leave the case as is. If you dont want to go through all of that trouble then you might want to send it directly to Rolex but I would still try to find a gold bezel first, get it installed and then send it to Rolex. Just my opinion.

By the way you have a 'Sigma' dial. Check the marking under the 6 o'clock marker. Cool!
Old 3 January 2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Was gramps prone to fist fights in the parking lot? That old 1601 has seen some wear.

If you sent it to Rolex it could go as high as 1500-2k. It would be essentially as new as Rolex can make it. Since you're not a watch guy I recommend you do that if money isn't an issue.
There are ways to save a lot of money but you will have to get involved and do work. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 12:46 PM   #9
alexkarbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Was gramps prone to fist fights in the parking lot? That old 1601 has seen some wear.

If you sent it to Rolex it could go as high as 1500-2k. It would be essentially as new as Rolex can make it. Since you're not a watch guy I recommend you do that if money isn't an issue.
There are ways to save a lot of money but you will have to get involved and do work. :)
I agree if you're not a watch guy just bite the bullet and get that Rolex on our wrist asap hence Rolex full service. Also get a proper fitting strap for it.
Old 3 January 2017, 12:52 PM   #10
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
Pm sent.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 09:06 PM   #11
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajm79er View Post
Hi all. First off, I am a new poster to this group, and am not a watch aficionado by any means. My grandparents were pretty well off, and as a result my grandfather had a lot of Rolex watches. I never met my grandfather, as he died before my birth. I did however, inherent his Oyster Perpetual Datejust that was given to him as an anniversary present in 1976. There are some issues with the watch. It doesn't keep time (but I've heard this is expected for a watch that has sat as long as this one.) There are other issues, though. The glass case is cracked, and the gold trim that encircles it has snapped off. I still have the gold piece. Furthermore the whole watch looks like it needs polishing. Also, the watch has a leather band, and I doubt it is original. I'm in law school, and I'd like to wear the watch during my first case. How much would restoring the watch cost? I'm unsure as to whether I want to replace the band, so how much more would that add to the cost of repairing just the watch alone? Furthermore, what's the best way to go about fixing the watch? Are there recommended watchmakers it can only Rolex do them? Thank you very much to those who reply.
If you send it to a RSC you are looking at most likely 1300.00 or more.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 09:46 PM   #12
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Wherever you choose to send it, my suggestions are:
-service the movement
-new bezel
-new glass

Don't polish, don't change the date wheel or the dial. Different service centers will try change these....
The watch will look good after service. Hopefully there is no rust inside.

Cost is very much influenced by who is doing the work. RSC or AD translates in +1k.
Old 4 January 2017, 09:54 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not try to cheap it on the watch. Without being a watch person I would send it to Rolex for a complete service and repair. I would instruct them not to touch the dial or hands. You will get a like new or as close as you can get watch back from them and a two year warranty. The price will be 1k plus a little but you should not need to have anything else done to the watch for a number of years.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 12:13 AM   #14
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would not try to cheap it on the watch. Without being a watch person I would send it to Rolex for a complete service and repair. I would instruct them not to touch the dial or hands. You will get a like new or as close as you can get watch back from them and a two year warranty. The price will be 1k plus a little but you should not need to have anything else done to the watch for a number of years.
Very sound advice - the cost would be a good investment not least of all in sentimental terms - good luck!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 03:03 AM   #15
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I can take care of it for you if you like.
I can source the bezel and I have the genuine crystal in stock.
PM sent.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 03:06 AM   #16
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

i like the look of the old vintage bezel: I'd solder it back together and get a new crystal and service the movement.
2ar2c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 03:12 AM   #17
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

The problem is water resistance. I recently tried that with a WG version.

It wouldn't seal under vacuum. When I tightened it with the bezel tool slightly it was a bit more snug but when I went to press it on with the bezel press the weld broke.

I opted for a new "used" bezel.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 08:30 PM   #18
drefhill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
If you sent it to Rolex it could go as high as 1500-2k.
No, that's way to much.
It's just a datejust.
I serviced mine few months ago in Rolex Paris for 495€, i think the glass is included in service. They'll want you to change the hands and dial in option but refuse that they still looks great.
So "just" ad the bezel to that price, no idea how much it can cost.
And a band, if you search on this forum you should get ideas about what you want, just dont get a Rolex one it will be overpriced, the one you have is to small, get one that fit the watch correctly, there is plenty of great brands and strap makers from 50$ to 150$.

Appart the broken bezel and glass the watch looks great, it hasn't been worn much and it probably have never been polished/serviced. Even the strap doesn't seems cracked/hard.
Old 6 January 2017, 09:56 PM   #19
RichardF
"TRF" Member

These are the most recent prices from Rolex in NY. They could increase for 2017.

Service movement and replace crystal: 1,050.00 ( Rolex charges extra for vintage watches)

Winding crown and mono block: (Tube and Crown) 135.00. These are always replaced during service to guarantee meeting pressure proof standards.

This is an estimation: The 18kt bezel I would expect to be more than $500.00 +
Example: two 18 kt spring bars run $120.00 for the set. So you can imagine what the bezel could be.

Shipping and insurance to the RSC by the USPS registered mail $71.00- $73.00
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote