The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 24 April 2006, 05:38 AM   #1
BreitSheik

Breitling Chronomat Evolution Review

I was awestrucked when I saw this watch in person at my AD! There was no turning back for me, I knew I had to get it! I had a Rolex Sub 16613 before which I honestly had to part with so I could get this new beauty. Believe me, I really struggled hard before making the final decision. But it is what makes you happy, right?

The case has now the enormous 43.7 mm diameter! A far cry from the old 40 mm with the previous Chronomat models. I was wearing my older Chronomat Vitesse in the AD when I compared it in person to the Evolution, I felt like I was wearing a ladies' watch!

For the movement, it has the famous Valjoux 7750 at 28,800 b.p.h. which Breitling mainly calls their Caliber 13. The same Caliber 13 used on previous smaller scale Chronomat models. (I wonder if they had to use spacers to accomodate the larger case diameter.) It keeps excellent time which is on the positive side of +1 to +2 sec/ 24 hrs. The power reserve is 42 hrs.

As far as chronograph function is concerned, it is quite accurate and resets back right on the dot. You have to loosen (unscrew) the push button collar lock in order to operate the chrono (just like the Daytonas). However I am surprised to notice that the long chrono second hand isn't as smooth sweeping compared to the regular sized Chronomats. It's kinda "jerky" although uniformly sweeps the entire cycle. I don't know if it's just me, or the sweep of it being emphasized on a larger scale diameter. Anyway, it's no big deal.

The subdial unit scale are much more pronounced and legibly clear on this model (with the subsidiary seconds hands shaped like a delta wing ). The crown has a beautifully revised larger dome which is a little improvement for grasping compared to previous models (although still not as easy as Rolex). You still have to put the grip effort in unscrewing and screwing the crown due to its dome shape.

The unidirectional bezel has a revolution of 120 hard "clicks" aligning exactly on the dot of the minute scale. Again not as smooth turning compared to Rolex which is subtle and softer without the hard "clicks". The rider tabs are aesthetically appealing to me though since it makes it easier for me to spot them when for example using it as a timer.

The dial is a beautiful rich dark blue with contrasted gold subdials that even makes this watch more on the blingy side. However the Tach scale as well as the 100th units scale are printed much smaller compared to the previous versions. You would think that since it has a larger diameter, they would enlarge the font size too. The hour markers have much more improved though looking at it with the lume at both sides of each one gives it a more distinctive look that goes well with the larger scale theme.

Also the concentric fine set of grooves along the blue dial you see running through those markers and another group running through those subdials makes the statement of being a mammoth of a watch. The Breitling logo improved as well with the "1884" below it, followed by "Chronographe Certifie Chronometre Automatic". It sounds like a real competition now to "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified".

As for comfort, it is not as confortable as the regular sized Chronomat since it's more bulky and heavier. Although, it still has the same suppleness of texture throughout when worn. The clasp although bigger doesn't snap as hard compared to the previous versions, although the fliplock clasp does.

Overall, a very nice watch indeed (an understatement!) to which I have gotten a lot of compliments due to its wrist "presence". A real blinger though for a two tone model. I could have chosen the SS with the Slate and Black subdials as my second choice. I went with the blinger instead. Sometimes I find myself just staring at it for hours.

Last edited by BreitSheik; 8 May 2006 at 05:31 AM..
BreitSheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2006, 05:43 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Excellent and detailed review, Gil....many thanks. Enjoy that beauty and wear it in good health.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2006, 05:58 AM   #3
BreitSheik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Excellent and detailed review, Gil....many thanks. Enjoy that beauty and wear it in good health.

Cheers - JJ
Hi JJ,

I just want to give others my insight first hand, in case they decide to get one too.

Gill
Old 24 April 2006, 07:51 AM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Great review, thanks
Old 25 April 2006, 07:13 AM   #5
Hellcat65

Now that is one fine looking watch!!!!!!
HC
Hellcat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2006, 10:56 AM   #6
jimmytoronto
"TRF" Member

I too am considering selling my 16613, possibly for the 18k Crosswind Special/Leather (hard to find) or the Evolution/Leather.
Very nice watch - enjoy it.
jimmytoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2006, 04:58 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytoronto View Post
I too am considering selling my 16613, possibly for the 18k Crosswind Special/Leather (hard to find) or the Evolution/Leather.
Very nice watch - enjoy it.
WHY, Jimmy, WHY?????
Is that a TT Blue Sub you're thinking of getting rid off.....and that too for a Breitling? Don't do it, pal....just good, friendly advice....you will eventually regret it, I guarantee it!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 18 October 2006, 10:16 PM   #8
wmthedirector
"TRF" Member

woooooooooooooooooooow what a beutifull pic. great watch and your photogaphic talent made it even better,

If i shoot my B2 you think it will look as good ?

by the way the only thing i do online now is JUST looking for watches !!!
did any body cast a SPELL on me ?
sam
wmthedirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2006, 10:31 PM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmthedirector View Post
woooooooooooooooooooow what a beutifull pic. great watch and your photogaphic talent made it even better,

If i shoot my B2 you think it will look as good ?

by the way the only thing i do online now is JUST looking for watches !!!
did any body cast a SPELL on me ?
sam
You have caught the disease, Sam. Did anyone tell you it's chronic and incurable? That's why you end up at asylums like TRF. To join the other sufferers. As the saying goes, misery loves company.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2006, 01:16 AM   #10
jimmytoronto
"TRF" Member

No problem JJ, and thanks for your response. You are absolutely right - regret is part of this sickness with watches. We all make changes that we occasionally regret but sometimes you have to take that chance.

I guess in a way, I think I need a change from the good old 3135 variations and won't pick up the Daytona unless they get with the program and put a date wheel in it.

If purchased right, the 18K/Leather Breitlings represent a reasonable value if your looking for a heafty gold watch.

It's been good chatting with you again - hope all is well.

Just some thoughts/temptations but as you well know "once in the Blue Club - always there to remain" unless a Sea Dweller shows up.
Old 19 October 2006, 03:36 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hi Jimmy,

If your heart still yearns for the Breitling then go ahead. These watches can be had at fabulous discounts...as high as 40% off List. But why sell that beautiful TT Blue Sub to achieve this? Why not just have BOTH?

JJ

Old 19 October 2006, 03:47 AM   #12
jimmytoronto
"TRF" Member

Both would be nice - we'll see.

cheers
jim
jimmytoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2006, 03:48 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytoronto View Post
Both would be nice - we'll see.

cheers
jim

Old 19 October 2006, 05:35 AM   #14
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
40% off list? The AD here says 15%, should I counteroffer?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2006, 05:18 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
40% off list? The AD here says 15%, should I counteroffer?
Absolutely, Robert. 15% is bugger all on a Breitling. Massive discounts are available on most Breitling, Omega and TAG Heuer models. You need to push the AD to the limit on these models and offer them CASH instead of PLASTIC. Might work better.

Good luck - JJ

Old 20 October 2006, 05:18 AM   #16
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
15% is bugger.... we need a translation dictionary here! Gah! Is that good or bad?

Let me research a flight to NZ over a long weekend!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2006, 12:19 PM   #17
jimmytoronto
"TRF" Member

JJ is right, but what I've noticed over the last couple of years is the Breitling AD reluctance to take the deep discounts of the past.
Mind you being in the Great White North everything here is priced at a premium - Toronto's largest Breitling dealer will give you "taxes-in" (14%) at best.
Old 20 October 2006, 04:36 PM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
15% is bugger.... we need a translation dictionary here! Gah! Is that good or bad?

Let me research a flight to NZ over a long weekend!
Robert,

That word "bugger" is used in conjunction with the word "all"....so it comes out as "bugger all" which means fek all....which means your AD is fleecing your ass off by offering a mere 15% when he can do much better than that!!

Old 20 October 2006, 06:48 PM   #19
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Robert,

That word "bugger" is used in conjunction with the word "all"....so it comes out as "bugger all" which means fek all....which means your AD is fleecing your ass off by offering a mere 15% when he can do much better than that!!
Yep. The silly bugger is just buggering you by buggerizing around...
Old 23 November 2006, 06:47 AM   #20
nemo
"TRF" Member

Breitling vs. Datejust

I am struggling between the Bretiling Chrono Evolution and the Datejust with a two tone band and blue dial. I know they ar every different! Do you think the Breitling is a better watch?

Greg
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2006, 07:08 AM   #21
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I am struggling between the Bretiling Chrono Evolution and the Datejust with a two tone band and blue dial. I know they ar every different! Do you think the Breitling is a better watch?

Greg
Welcome to TRF, Greg. Nice to have you join us.

"Better" is a very subjective term. IMO neither is "better" than the other. They serve very different purposes. The Breitling is more of a tool watch. The TT DJ is more of a dress watch. It really depends on what you would want them for. Both are excellent pieces. You wouldn't go wrong with either one.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 26 November 2006, 02:14 AM   #22
bigG

Watch: My TT Sub/Daytona
Breitling Chronomat Evolution

Just read your review on your new Breitling. Beautiful watch. I am the proud owner of 2 Rolex's, a TT Sub/Date and a TT Daytona. Although I am a Rolex enthusiast I have had my eye on a Breitling for a while. I finally took the plunge. I just got a stainless Chronomat Evolution/Blue Dial. What a beauty. It caught my eye in the store and I had to have it. It is a huge watch, granted, but I have always been fond of "substantial" timepieces on my wrist. My Rolex Sub now seems almost inadequate. I do have one question thought. An AD (not where I bought it) told me that Breitlings have had recent reliability issues and that there service is not that good. Since you have had some experience with Breitling's what has your experience been.. Anyway, I love the watch.
bigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2006, 03:42 AM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Love your signature line, George!!

Old 13 December 2006, 05:23 AM   #24
Edensknight

Wow! Gill! Your brand new Breightling is absolutely stunning! And, I am just in awe of your skills as a photographer. The well chosen picture angles and lighting beautifully depict the amazing artistically sculptured detail constructed into this particular timepiece. Wow! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!
Edensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2006, 01:00 AM   #25
BreitSheik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigG View Post
I do have one question thought. An AD (not where I bought it) told me that Breitlings have had recent reliability issues and that there service is not that good. Since you have had some experience with Breitling's what has your experience been.. Anyway, I love the watch.
I have heard some rumors about it too, but I've never had any of my Breitlings serviced yet. I've heard that they often do more than what you've asked them to do and overprice the fee (such as changing the hands and/or the crystal when all you asked them was to regulate the watch). I called BUSA one time (for service pricing) and they referred me back to a service center in Houston called Atelier Associates (since I'm in the Midwest). I wonder sometimes if they're overbooked. I'm just searching for the best service. They say Breitling Switzerland almost always offers the best service.
Old 16 December 2006, 01:19 AM   #26
BreitSheik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensknight View Post
Wow! Gill! Your brand new Breightling is absolutely stunning! And, I am just in awe of your skills as a photographer. The well chosen picture angles and lighting beautifully depict the amazing artistically sculptured detail constructed into this particular timepiece. Wow! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!
Thanks Edensknight! I'm just practicing my skills. Sadly my Sony DSC-P92 Cyber Shot cam is now caput! It suddenly shows "white streaks" when I take pics, so it's going to the dump. It might be cheaper to get a new one than have it fixed.

Anyway, the Chronomat is one of the few artistically made watch that excites me. When you look at it in every angle, there is sculptured detail that conforms to its function: a real tool instrument for professionals. No other watch has this sort of appeal to me.

By the way, I'm selling his little brother on the "For Sale" section of this forum.
Old 20 December 2006, 11:01 AM   #27
Goldsplinter

what does AD mean?
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2006, 12:09 PM   #28
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsplinter View Post
what does AD mean?
Authorized Dealer.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 20 December 2006, 05:52 PM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsplinter View Post
what does AD mean?
If you ask that question to Mel Gibson, he might say: Anna Domino!!

Old 19 February 2007, 09:32 AM   #30
Edensknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi Jimmy,

If your heart still yearns for the Breitling then go ahead. These watches can be had at fabulous discounts...as high as 40% off List. But why sell that beautiful TT Blue Sub to achieve this? Why not just have BOTH?

JJ
You bet I agree: Why not both?!
Edensknight is offline   Reply With Quote