The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2018, 07:32 AM   #31
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
My wrist is just too small. A 44mm 372 would just be awesome.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 12:13 PM   #32
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Panerai makes a great product. But marketing is not as prevalent as Rolex.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 03:26 PM   #33
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
My wrist is just too small. A 44mm 372 would just be awesome.
Acutually PAM are designed to wear XXL on the wrist. It is true to the origin. It’s a military diver’s tool. IMHO, a ”fitting” panerai has lost the DNA. When I put on a 372, I enjoy the historical DNA of the brand.

Don’t underestimate your wrist.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 08:44 PM   #34
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Short answer: No.

Panerai has taken a big hit over the last couple of years in terms of overall demand for the watch relative to 7-10 years ago, but there are still certain models that hold value very well and keep their value.
Want proof of the decreased demand? Look at their price drops across the board that occurred around 2015/2016 on all of their models.

Get a PAM because you love it and plan on keeping it........not b/c you think it may hold value with the expectation of flipping it down the road.
Not correct at all...Panerai hasn't taken a big hit at all...just the opposite..it has record sales and demand...revenue has increased significantly and so has net profit...proof of decreased demand??? I would stick to the practice of medicine and stay away from finance and economics...the price drops for luxury watches was a macroeconomic currency issue that affected all luxury watch brands manufactured in Europe...
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 12:46 AM   #35
jmrxtr
"TRF" Member

Watch: PamRolexIWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Me too Paul ... some of us even paid over retail
totally..i look at trusted sellers and it hurts, but i love my collection.
wear and enjoy
jmrxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 05:59 AM   #36
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Panerai makes a great product. But marketing is not as prevalent as Rolex.
totally different brand with a different clientele.

every dickhead has a rolex, only special dickheads buy panerai

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 07:30 AM   #37
oldcarz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post

oldcarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 07:47 AM   #38
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I don’t see the brand going up. It’s about flat right now and unless something changes will remain so. Pam are more of a niche and not as broad market driven as other brands are. Good brand with some great pieces and history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #39
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Quote:

This

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 10:49 AM   #40
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:

You could be on to something there, D. In episode 2 of the second season of The Grand Tour, Jeremy Clarkson said “...I’ll wear a Rolex, which is the watch of choice for all the world’s arses

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 11:25 AM   #41
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
You could be on to something there, D. In episode 2 of the second season of The Grand Tour, Jeremy Clarkson said “...I’ll wear a Rolex, which is the watch of choice for all the world’s arses
I thought that was a shot at Hamster.
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 11:43 AM   #42
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Thank you for making us all feel so special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (278.7 KB, 792 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 12:09 PM   #43
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Simple answer is: No.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 04:31 PM   #44
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
I thought that was a shot at Hamster.
Nah, it was something to do with Levi's asking him to stop wearing their jeans because he makes them look bad or something

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 30 April 2018, 05:41 AM   #45
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
That's rich coming from Jeremy Clarkson of all people...couldn't think of a bigger 'arse' if I tried...

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 05:45 AM   #46
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Thank you for making us all feel so special.
beautiful shot

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 02:33 PM   #47
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
That's rich coming from Jeremy Clarkson of all people...couldn't think of a bigger 'arse' if I tried...
Oh, I could. Anyone with the surname 'Kardashian' is a good start

Old 5 May 2018, 12:54 PM   #48
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
Not correct at all...Panerai hasn't taken a big hit at all...just the opposite..it has record sales and demand...revenue has increased significantly and so has net profit...proof of decreased demand??? I would stick to the practice of medicine and stay away from finance and economics...the price drops for luxury watches was a macroeconomic currency issue that affected all luxury watch brands manufactured in Europe...
thanks for your patronizing reply. Just as a FYI, I have a MBA to go with my medical degree, but don't need it to be able to evaluate simple trends. I shouldn't have said Panerai has taken a 'big hit' without qualifying that statement as "relative to where it was 7-10 years ago". I love the brand, but every AD I've spoken to has said Panerai's price drop happened b/c of a drop in demand, in conjunction with a price correction that was needed relative the downturn in the market overall. And yes, I'm aware of those market forces that contributed to the overall market drop (strong Swiss frank, loss of revenue due to decreased sales to China, etc).

If your assertion is correct and it was simply a 'Macroeconomic price issue' : 1) every other brand should have had price adjustments due to the overall downturn in the market from 2014-2016, and 2) Panerai's prices should have gone back up following this market correction.
Neither of those things happened.

And I'm sure sales are up relative to what they were from 2014-2016. So what?
The question the OP posed was whether Panerai prices were going up? As a whole, no they aren't. If you have data to the contrary, I'd love to see it. But I saw first hand from 2 AD's how their prices dropped in 2016 and haven't gone back since.
Additionally, their prices on the second hand market speaks volumes for the brand's value retention on many of their models, with some exceptions, of course.

The only sales report I could find for the Richmont group had sales figures through early 2017, that still showed lagging sales, even relative to 2016, which included Panerai sales.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pane...tVEjkC0BLRXWM:
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:19 PM   #49
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Tough to generalize, but even though the big watch trend peaked several years ago, I don't detect that PAM prices have declined. Most of the basic ones are still selling for $4K-$5K.

Any watch that is 47mm, even if its as cool as the 372, will have a limited appeal to people with normal size wrists, so I'm not sure if that model is a good proxy for the value of the brand in general.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:49 PM   #50
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I bought a 233 on trf 4-5 years ago, If i were to sell it today, i would break-even. I bought a Pepsi the same year also on trf, this particular model has increased about 40%... crazy.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 10:18 PM   #51
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
thanks for your patronizing reply. Just as a FYI, I have a MBA to go with my medical degree, but don't need it to be able to evaluate simple trends. I shouldn't have said Panerai has taken a 'big hit' without qualifying that statement as "relative to where it was 7-10 years ago". I love the brand, but every AD I've spoken to has said Panerai's price drop happened b/c of a drop in demand, in conjunction with a price correction that was needed relative the downturn in the market overall. And yes, I'm aware of those market forces that contributed to the overall market drop (strong Swiss frank, loss of revenue due to decreased sales to China, etc).

If your assertion is correct and it was simply a 'Macroeconomic price issue' : 1) every other brand should have had price adjustments due to the overall downturn in the market from 2014-2016, and 2) Panerai's prices should have gone back up following this market correction.

The question the OP posed was whether Panerai prices were going up? As a whole, no they aren't. If you have data to the contrary, I'd love to see it. But I saw first hand from 2 AD's how their prices dropped in 2016 and haven't gone back since.
Additionally, their prices on the second hand market speaks volumes for the brand's value retention on many of their models, with some exceptions, of course.

The only sales report I could find for the Richmont group had sales figures through early 2017, that still showed lagging sales, even relative to 2016, which included Panerai sales.

spot on....

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 04:15 AM   #52
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
Nah...Panerai is a dog now.

Some models are unsaleable on the secondary market so they are a hard pass no buy from pre owned dealers.

It's been quite a fall....still cool watches though.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:40 AM   #53
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Relying on an AD to understand why most brands (FYI, it was most luxury watch brands that dropped prices in 2016, not just Panerai) dropped their prices by 5% is like me relying on the internet to make a medical diagnosis...most brands dropped heir prices...go read a transcript of a Richemont earnings call and you will see that Panerai is the star of the Richemont brands...
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 11:50 AM   #54
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Nah...Panerai is a dog now.

Some models are unsaleable on the secondary market so they are a hard pass no buy from pre owned dealers.

It's been quite a fall....still cool watches though.
I think all the industry is a dog now,
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:24 PM   #55
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I think all the industry is a dog now,
I agree with this.

With the exception of the 5 or 6 top Rolex models, Patek 5711, some AP and the odd high end limited piece...FP, RM etc....the watch market is poor.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 12:59 AM   #56
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetlord View Post
i agree with this.

With the exception of the 5 or 6 top rolex models, patek 5711, some ap and the odd high end limited piece...fp, rm etc....the watch market is poor.
🥂👍
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 06:49 PM   #57
seadweller43
Banned

official price had raised 4% in Hong Kong this Feb.
seadweller43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 08:45 PM   #58
sedatesix
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Zero
Panerai prices are in the toilet. Now it's probably the time to buy the model you must desire.
sedatesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 09:18 PM   #59
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like Panerai as a brand but dislike the way they market and undercut LE models with regular releases a short time later. I was big into the Panerai craze in the early 2000's but moved away as they started playing games. Very similar to what Rolex is doing now and I am down to 3 watches from them, from a high of 7-8. If you want to understand the value of a Panerai watch contact some TS here on TRF and with the exception of 1 or 2, no one will take it unless it is a LE model or you will go 50-60% off retail. Buy to own, I have a 422, and enjoy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170924_084049_645.jpg (104.6 KB, 534 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 12:07 AM   #60
WillC
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR126710 IWC GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin222 View Post
Its value is rising.
Based on what data are you making this statement? Not trying to be rude, just trying to understand.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote