The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2019, 02:00 AM   #1
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Observation

I have been here on the forum twice. Once back in 2006 ish and I rejoined a year or so ago. It is just me or has the popularity of the Panerai at least with Rolex owners diminished a lot. Back in 06 it seemed many Rolex owners who had other brands in their collections always seemed to have a Panerai or two. Now they seem very scarce on here.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:02 AM   #2
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
I'd think about a Panerai if: 1) they were not ugly as shit and 2) I wanted a weapon on the side of my bezel.

I'll catch some flack for that, but that's okay.

Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:04 AM   #3
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
I'd think about a Panerai if: 1) they were not ugly as shit and 2) I wanted a weapon on the side of my bezel.

Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:06 AM   #4
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

tell us what you really think!
Old 30 March 2019, 02:10 AM   #5
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I've had three over the years and enjoyed them all. Very enthusiastic fan base much like Rolex. Even the negative side is similar there, very hard to get one of the "special pieces" unless you're a VIP.
I still want to get a plexi PAM372 someday, still have lots of 26mm straps for it.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:11 AM   #6
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:

ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:16 AM   #7
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I've had a variety of Panerai watches in the past - a variety of the "base" versions, 233, 268, 305, etc. I think they look cool, but I kind of fell out of love with them and sold them all off. I also felt that the repair network was not as smooth as the RSC sites I've used.

I will say I wish I had not sold my 233. I liked that watch.
Old 30 March 2019, 02:26 AM   #8
HappyFish
Banned

What is the difference between Rolex and Panerai? Rolex buyers hate the greys-Paneristis love them!

For me it's a discount watch from Richemont moloch! Mostly i see them worn from call-center employees-nicely said!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:34 AM   #9
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Quote:

rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:36 AM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

There are a handful I think are very nice. Just too big for my taste.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:40 AM   #11
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

The problem with Panerai since you're absence on the forums involves the movement scandals, current business model, etc. Basically everything wrong with what a luxury watch brand should be. Plenty of info if you do a Google search.
79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:41 AM   #12
Dr Watches
Banned

All the Richemont brands cratered. Panerai very strongly.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:43 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
There are a handful I think are very nice. Just too big for my taste.
I agree with this, all too large
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:46 AM   #14
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:

Not from me, but taste is subjective. I'm sure they're great watches but your first point is so true. The Luminor series especially. If my dog was that ugly, I'd shave its ass and make it walk backwards.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:47 AM   #15
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
The Luminor series especially. If my dog was that ugly, I'd shave its ass and make it walk backwards.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:51 AM   #16
edd26
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16600
please, excuse me....BUT panerai s ugly like hell. there is no style in that watch. just my humble opinion mate
edd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:55 AM   #17
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I was a die hard fan and owned five, including a 1950 (PAM 127). Long story short, their customer service was (maybe still is) the worst. I had such a bad experience I even got a phone call from Philippe Bonay.

So, I sold them all in 05-06, bought another Rolex Sub and never looked back. Made a little bit of money on each sale too.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 02:57 AM   #18
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
I have a Panerai, 2 Rolexes and a few other watches, and love my Panerai. I like to have watches for different occasions/moods, and sometimes the Panerai is the perfect choice (over my other watches). What’s wrong with variety?
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:01 AM   #19
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
I had few panerai in the past but sold them all. I would rather have an Omega which I have over panerai.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:05 AM   #20
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai has established a niche in the marketplace which has its place but not for everyone. I have gone back and forth over the years. Most of their models are sturdy, fairly water resistant and the strap thing is pretty cool especially with some of the models that make it pretty easy to change. One man's ugly is another's beauty which can be said of just about anything. Some people hate two-tone watches and other's love them. Whatever floats your boat! If you buy them right, which you can right now, and you like a particular model then what do you have to lose!
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:05 AM   #21
HappyFish
Banned

More style and class than any Richemont Panerai! (I'm not talking about the earliest time of Panerai)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpeg.jpg (4.2 KB, 273 views)
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:09 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Not from me, but taste is subjective. I'm sure they're great watches but your first point is so true. The Luminor series especially. If my dog was that ugly, I'd shave its ass and make it walk backwards.
You guys are a riot
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:13 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
I have been here on the forum twice. Once back in 2006 ish and I rejoined a year or so ago. It is just me or has the popularity of the Panerai at least with Rolex owners diminished a lot. Back in 06 it seemed many Rolex owners who had other brands in their collections always seemed to have a Panerai or two. Now they seem very scarce on here.
Many of us here love and appreciate the brand.

Here's my 690.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:17 AM   #24
synequano
Banned

I do enjoy them and don’t care if people don’t like them,less competition in the pre owned or grey dealer pour moi
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:32 AM   #25
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Panerai was the *it* watch for a while. Eventually all the *it* people moved on to the next hot thing (as they have the attention span of goldfish).

Richemont haven't helped keep the diehard fans either with their movement shenanigans and now snap on case backs (among others).

For anyone who likes the watches for what they are, now is probably a good time to buy (but not one with a snap on case back......what we're they thinking?)
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 04:01 AM   #26
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
I am a Panerai fan. Love my PAM90. That being said, unlike Rolex, the company has tried to take advantage of their popularity maybe 5-10 years ago and has pumped out way to many watches, too many different models, and too many limited editions. To add insult to injury, they jack up their prices. Now they are Just like Hublot and are not as highly sought after. It’s a shame what management can do to a company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weinboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 04:28 AM   #27
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
What is the difference between Rolex and Panerai? Rolex buyers hate the greys-Paneristis love them!

For me it's a discount watch from Richemont moloch! Mostly i see them worn from call-center employees-nicely said!
Savage! I just bought a Panerai and I don’t work in a call centre. I bought it because I really loved the watch. More so than any Rolex or other brand I could afford. Which is everything apart from PM
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 04:31 AM   #28
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinboyz View Post
I am a Panerai fan. Love my PAM90. That being said, unlike Rolex, the company has tried to take advantage of their popularity maybe 5-10 years ago and has pumped out way to many watches, too many different models, and too many limited editions. To add insult to injury, they jack up their prices. Now they are Just like Hublot and are not as highly sought after. It’s a shame what management can do to a company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You say that about pumping out too many. I just bought a 564 and it was 1/300 made in 2018. I went grey and this worried me so I called them and they confirmed they only made 300 and confirmed my serial number.

So if they were producing too many I think they’ve re-thought that strategy
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 04:37 AM   #29
synequano
Banned

That 564 is xxx/300 for this year and that’s not an LE

I don’t know how many 564s have been made by Panerai from the beginning,I thought that they have made (too) many so they need to scale back (then they will probably downgrade the watch with snapback to further increase their profit)
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 04:49 AM   #30
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Funny thread. We all have different opinions. To me it seems like some of them are stainless sports watches that are affordable and actually attainable, unlike a stainless Rolex. Kind of like, why would anyone by PM Rolex? It is a sports brand and for the same price you could have a Lange, VC, Patek or one of the other brands that makes actual high end watches.

Opinions are like...
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote